Am i crazy?

ninejr

Ok so we have been trying to figure out what to do about seats when the new baby comes the plan right now is buy a radian and a CA and newbie in the SR. Anyway I am having a fleeting thought of getting a booster instead for A. She will be 4.5 when the newbie comes. She is already over 40lbs and actually has nice booster fit in her nauti. She is also a pretty responsible child and I think she would do well in a booster. I have a long time (about 7 months) to think about it.

ADS

oddduck

I don't know if I'd do it...a booster for a 3 across might be an even bigger pain then a harnessed seat. My oldest is also an Aug 2007 baby, and she still seems way to young for a booster. She's also quite responsible regarding her safety in the car (making sure the chest clip is in the right spot, making sure that all our seat belts are done up)... I just can't see it happening, especially on a regular basis.

I don't know about yours but mine might be awesome 99.8% of the time, it's that .2% that would really have me worried (eg, when she doesn't want to leave the library, or mcdonalds playland). Does your daughter still have tantrums or is it just mine? :eek: How often does she sleep in the car?

ninejr

Yes she still has some tantrums, although not usually about the car (don't worry your child is normal :) ). She still falls asleep on long trips (like over an hour) but stays awake around town or driving into the city from our town.
I wouldn't do it now as she still seems young, but seven months can make a big difference. I don't know, I feel crazy that it even crossed my mind, but it is just staying there in my mind bugging me.

momtotwogirls

I have a April 07 kid and its not even an option at this time. I think she would do fine around town even on longer drives but she is jsut too young for me to feel comfortable and she isnt 40lbs yet. My min is 6 AND 40lbs. At 6 we will discuss it and maybe start training but not before then.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Yes.

Several reasons, but I shall go with the nicest... Have you buckled a booster w/a 3 across on a daily basis? What's your daily solution there? Baby always gonna go in last? Even in the rain? Sure a cosco combo booster, tfp, and cco can fit in the dh's lesabre in an poorly planned rare occasion, but daily. Heck nah!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I kept DS in a Radian (he fit and was willing) until age 9 to avoid a 3-across-with-booster as long as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

luckyclov

Forget the just-a-tad-on-the-young-side age and possible maturity issues, unless you have a beast of a backseat, it's going to be sooooo much easier to deal with harnesses. And with 3 kids, one of whom will be a needy newbie, you're gonna want easy.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My son is an Oct 06 baby and I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in a booster.

Dd started a booster part-time when she was 5.5yrs and I had no doubts about it. There was a noticeable change in maturity that happened right around her 5th birthday though and I think that until you see that noticeable change I'd hold off if she's still fitting in her harnessed seat.

3 across with a harness is definitely easier too.

(OT, but your certificate came in the mail yesterday - do you want it mailed or do you want to pick it up?)

Holly

I agree that 3 across with a booster is a nightmare. I won't ever do it daily until it's necessary (harnessed seat outgrown). My oldest will be 6 next week and she has been mature enough for a boostet for almost a year. It's just such a pain to buckle the booster, and we've tried several. It's so much faster and easier to get her and the other kids in the car when she is harnessed.

ninejr

Sounds like we will probably stick with buying a CA and Radian. I have never tried a booster (other than to check fit in her nauti out of curiosity) it just looked so much thinner in the store yesterday.

Trudy could you mail it? We are going to be going out of town for a few days and I don't want to add to my to do list. Thank you :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC