Please talk some sense into me (or tell me it's okay)

WWYD? Please read my first post before answering.

• Get two FR85s and turn DS FF in both vehicles

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Get one FR85 for the van, RF Radian in the Civic

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Get one FR85 for the Civic, RF Radian in the van

Votes: 35 77.8%
  • Other - because there always has to be an other.

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

Mommy0608

DS will be 3 on August 5th. DH and I have discussed, and we agree that our minimum FF age is 3 years. DS's weight fluctuates between 31-33lbs, so let's say he's 33lbs to be on the safe side. He has a True Fit in DH's 2003 Civic (35lb RF limit) and a 40lb RF Radian 80 in my '09 Grand Caravan (both RF of course). Of all the seats I have ever owned, the only one that DH likes is the Frontier 85. He complains about the other seats every single time he puts a kid in the car. He's also not confident in his skills at getting the harness adjusted appropriately, and always wants me to double check him (he's always fine, sometimes actually too tight). Anyway, DH really wants to get two more FR85s as soon as DS turns 3. He loves that seat.

We do need to replace the TF soon because he's approaching the weight limit anyway, and that is the seat DH hates the most. I know for sure we'll be getting at least one FR85 shortly after DS's birthday. My question is, do I put the FR85 in my van and the Radian (RF) in the Civic or put the FR85 in the Civic and keep the Radian in my van? DS rides in my van much more frequently than the Civic. I feel that the van is a much safer vehicle than the Civic though, so should I put the FR85 in the van and put the RF Radian in the Civic?

DH would prefer to just get two FR85s and be done with it. How unreasonable is this? Obviously it's a lot of money (which we really don't have), but DH is so sick of the other seats that he's willing to spend the money on two of them.

Oh, and for those wondering why not just turn the convertibles around to FF when the time comes, DH hates them. He loves the FR85. Also, I don't like the FF install of the Radian, and DH despises the harness adjustment on the TF. So, turning these seats FF isn't an option. They'll be sold when the time comes.

So the big question... WWYD? Please discuss.

ETA: It seems um... bad? (for lack of a better word) to want to turn him FF even though we have a 40lb RF seat that he fits in. I guess that's where the "talk some sense into me" part comes in. :eek:

ADS

Brianna

I'd put a FR in DH's civic seeing as DS will have met your minimum age and he's nearing the max RF weight limit on the True Fit.

When DS outgrows the RN rear facing (or you decide to FF at another predetermined age) in your van you can get another FR then and that way you don't have to worry about 2 at once.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Why can't you flip him FF in what you have in the order in which he outgrows it. We had the same thing going on. If your dh dislikes the tf AND you feel your ds is safer in the van, flip it and move to your car then move the rf rn to his.

New seats are coming out all.the.time. Start by putting away the cost of one FR85 and when you have enoug for 2, see what combos are out then.

Jessica61624

Id get 1 fr85 and put it in dh car since he likes the seat so much. And leave him rf in your van until he reaches the limit.

Mommy0608

DH uses my van a lot without me when I'm at work because I drive his car to work (better gas mileage). So really, DH uses both vehicles with the kids. When I have the kids, I always have the van, but when DH has them, it's either vehicle. Sometimes he takes the kids out when I'm at home (and therefore would have a choice of which vehicle) but in that case, he always takes the van because it's the safer vehicle (DH's choice, though I agree with him). He has already said we're not turning the seats we have around. We had the TF turned FF for DD for a little while and DH was so uncomfortable with it that he didn't want to drive her anywhere. With the continuous harness, he never felt that he could adjust it properly. He has no trouble with the FR85 harness and feels confident when he uses that seat.

Mommy0608

OH! I forgot to mention, the TF does not FF well in the van. We have the super slanted Stow-n-Go seats and I am not satisfied with the install of the True Fit FF in the van. I knew there was something I was forgetting to mention! I've ruled that one out myself for that reason.

Spam

I'd replace the tf w/ the fr85 when he turns three. I'd probably just leave him in the radian in van until he reaches 40lbs or you decide you'd rather have him ffing. That way you can spread out the cost of two fr85s.

Mommy0608

For those who say to put the RF Radian in the Civic and get a FR85 for the van, which is the reason... because it'll make DH happy to have the FR85 in his car, or because DS is in the van more frequently, and the RF Radian is the safer option to have in the most-used vehicle?

arly1983

Just buy two frontiers. Your DH actually wants to BUY them and you both agreed on age three.

I give you permission. ;) :)

Mommy0608

Spreading out the cost does make sense, since we do have one 40lb seat... even if it's just a month or two. I'm pretty sure I've decided now that we won't buy two FR85s in the same transaction (unless, of course, we find a REALLY awesome deal). I'll probably buy one sometime in the next month if I can find a sale, then get that one paid off and buy the second at some point after that... whether it's just a month or two later, or a while later if we decide to keep him RF in the Radian.

Suzibeck

I prefer to have the safest option in the most used vehicle so I'd keep the radian rf in the van and get the frontier 85 for the civic.

I thought I'd put our radian ff in dh's Jetta once dd turned 3 but I just couldn't do it. Dh can't keep a rf seat in his car because it gets in the way when he has to transport his bass, which is 2-3 times a week. The radian will allow 3 across in his car when the true fit won't, but it seems rather silly to turn my 40# seat ff when my 3 yo is tiny and barely over 25#. So, I guess we will continue to play musical cars and make sure whomever has the 3 yo has the van. I'll reconsider again when she turns 4. If she were bigger, I think I'd be OK with it, but she is such a peanut.

Spam

and the brus trade-in event is coming up in august/september if you aren't able to find a better deal online before then.

I'd leave the rn rfing in the van since he rides most often.

krystin_21a

I say buy 2 Frontiers when you have the money. If your DH says it is ok and since he seems to be more comfortable with them (meaning he will be more inclined to use those properly every time) I say go with that.

Kat_Momof3

I think that it's totally reasonable to put him ff after he hits the limit on the truefit... and (within reason) I respect your husband's want of a voice in what seat goes in his car (aka... get the man a seat he feels comfortable using whenever possible)

So frontier 85 for his car... definitely.

for your car... he's in there more... he probably falls asleep when riding in it more than the other one... and... he hasn't outgrown the seat there... so why change what works?

I say leave the Radian rearfacing in your car... get another frontier 85 (or whatever might be new and attract you) when he is close to 40lbs.

That's my :twocents: for you

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Spreading out the cost does make sense, since we do have one 40lb seat... even if it's just a month or two. I'm pretty sure I've decided now that we won't buy two FR85s in the same transaction (unless, of course, we find a REALLY awesome deal). I'll probably buy one sometime in the next month if I can find a sale, then get that one paid off and buy the second at some point after that... whether it's just a month or two later, or a while later if we decide to keep him RF in the Radian.

I bought our fr85 in April. Ds is now only 34lbs. Has been. He's currently rf in the tf in my friend's suv, rf in the rn in dhs car, and ff in the fr85 behin my seat in my car since I drive him least.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC