SUV advice needed

Gsanmb

Hi all,

I could use some input. We are moving to a rural northern area with unpredictable snow removal. I am going to be selling/trading in my Odyssey (which does not do well in the snow, IME) and need an AWD SUV of some kind. My husband does a lot of biking and directs races, so we need space for cargo. We have 3 kids (1 in a nautilus, 1 in a monterrey booster, 1 in adult seatbelt).

Totally willing to get used but not too old and not too high mileage, and I am not going to be able to spend much more than what my 2010 Ody with 15K miles is worth.

The Sienna AWD is out, as dh doesn't like them at all.

ETA: I really like the Subaru Outback but I have no idea if it will fit my 3 kids comfortably and give us decent cargo room.

Any ideas? I've spent a week trolling the internet and keep getting more and more overwhelmed.

ADS

EmmaGrace'sMom

I just went from an Ody to a Pilot...not because I needed 4WD just because I wanted to ;)

To me it has a lot of cargo room, with the third row down...with it up you don't have much room, but that holds true for most SUV's with the exception of a Subruban or the like.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
With three kids I'd go with something that has captains chairs. Much easier access to the third row. Personally, I'd get a Tahoe (or Suburban if you need LOTS of cargo room).

Kegracin

One of my co-workers has a 2010 Pilot I was really impressed with the room I had my MA70 in there and I'm quite sure two other people could have sat back there comfortably. I have no idea how it drives but she loves it. And cargo room with the third row down is great, I've never been in it with the third row up so I'm not sure how much room it eats up.

I have a yukon and it doesnt have enough cargo room it irritates me I wish we would have gotten the XL version. (We also have buckets so leaving the third row out isnt an option for road trips).

Good luck on your hunt.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Pilot is one of the larger midsize SUVs and is a good choice. The Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave also come to mind as larger midsize SUVs that also have great crash test results. Plus, I think you will find better prices on a used one of these than you will for the Pilot. They should also get better fuel economy and be less expensive than a full size SUV like Suburban, Yukon or Tahoe.

bubbaray

How much cargo? Do you need a truck (with a canopy)??

FWIW, my DH just got a 2011 Ford 150 crew cab and it is really nice. You could definitely do 3 kids in the back of that (we do 2 in seats and an adult).

If he doesn't need that much cargo room, I'd look at the larger domestic SUVs (Tahoe/Yukon, Suburban/YukonXL. I'm not a fan of the new Pilots.

luckyclov

What about a truck?

My DH has a 2010 Ford F150 SuperCrew and it's massive. We have 2 Montereys and a Radian in the backseat (full backseat) and have zero space issues, front or rear. I don't know the correct name of it, but he has one of those hard cover top thingies (which locks) on the back of the truck bed and there is insane cargo space. Gas mileage isn't fantastic, but it's not too bad considering the size of what it is. And crash safety stuff is all good. It's paired with the Toyota Tundra as fullsize pick up IIHS Top Safety Pick.

Gsanmb

Thanks everyone.

I"m concerned about the Pilot because the newer versions don't get great ratings for brakes, etc. And with the Ody, we've had some issues with weird hiccups/hesitations at bad times (while accelerating or decelerating). I don't know if this is also an issue with the Pilot but I'd be leery of it.

I don't think dh wants to go for a regular pickup truck.

I think I'll take a look at the yukon/suburban/tahoe and then also maybe the expedition? Any thoughts on that one? I did not love the small window and other visibility issues when I test drove the Acadia. Felt like I was in a tunnel. But it's a possibility, I'll check it out again and maybe one of its twins.

Any thoughts on getting a used Volvo XC90 or another import SUV? I don't know much about the larger Nissan or Toyota SUV's. Does the Highlander seat 3 kids comfortably and still leave room for cargo?

As far as cargo goes, dh does triathlons himself and also is a race director. We could have, at any one time, a couple bikes and assorted other gear, or road cones, tools, signs, etc. in the back. Not to mention when we go away, luggage for everyone.

bubbaray

Unless he gets a truck, his bikes won't fit in the back of any of those SUVs, with the possible exception of the Suburban/Yukon XL, with the 3rd row collapsed. I don't know much about the Expedition. I will say that the new Explorers look nice, but I've not tried 3 across in them. Another one might be the Sequoia.

If he wants bikes plus race gear AND an SUV instead of a truck, I would suggest a hitch with a hitch-mounted bike rack. My DH does that for his tri & Mtn bike race gear.

T4K

bubbaray said:
Unless he gets a truck, his bikes won't fit in the back of any of those SUVs, with the possible exception of the Suburban/Yukon XL, with the 3rd row collapsed. I don't know much about the Expedition. I will say that the new Explorers look nice, but I've not tried 3 across in them. Another one might be the Sequoia.

If he wants bikes plus race gear AND an SUV instead of a truck, I would suggest a hitch with a hitch-mounted bike rack. My DH does that for his tri & Mtn bike race gear.

That. Thule makes some nice models. Stalk your local CL.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Thanks everyone.

I"m concerned about the Pilot because the newer versions don't get great ratings for brakes, etc. And with the Ody, we've had some issues with weird hiccups/hesitations at bad times (while accelerating or decelerating). I don't know if this is also an issue with the Pilot but I'd be leery of it.

I don't think dh wants to go for a regular pickup truck.

I think I'll take a look at the yukon/suburban/tahoe and then also maybe the expedition? Any thoughts on that one? I did not love the small window and other visibility issues when I test drove the Acadia. Felt like I was in a tunnel. But it's a possibility, I'll check it out again and maybe one of its twins.

Any thoughts on getting a used Volvo XC90 or another import SUV? I don't know much about the larger Nissan or Toyota SUV's. Does the Highlander seat 3 kids comfortably and still leave room for cargo?

As far as cargo goes, dh does triathlons himself and also is a race director. We could have, at any one time, a couple bikes and assorted other gear, or road cones, tools, signs, etc. in the back. Not to mention when we go away, luggage for everyone.

The Flex is another larger midsize crossover that is about the same size as the others.

I have a Highlander. It's a bit smaller than Pilot and Traverse/Acadia/Enclave.

All of these crossovers are going to lose some cargo space compared to a minivan like your Odyssey. I second that you'd likely want a hitch and hitch-mounted bike rack. The Suburban is somewhat larger than a bigger minivan, but not necessarily a lot bigger in terms of cargo space. Plus, you lose even more in fuel economy if that is a concern.

I haven't ridden in a new Explorer or Durango yet. Both are now true crossovers and no longer based on older truck SUV designs.

aeormsby

We have a Saturn Outlook (twin to the Enclave, Acadia, Traverse). There's tons of space in the back if you're not using the 3rd row - and the 2nd row is definitely roomy enough for a 3 across.

We have a hitch rack for our bikes, but also put a roof rack on top. When we got ours (2007) Yakima didn't make towers to mount on the factory rails. They have since designed some that will work and we have our old yakima cross bars on top now also.

I'm not sure you could fit an adult bike back there. I have no problem fitting 2-3 small kids bikes or our trailer (doesn't have to be completely folded even).

Peony

We are a very active family with 3 soon to be 4 children living in a rural, snowy area as well. I drive an Expedition EL and DH has a Suburban. My SUV is the kid hauler, carpool, extra kids, etc... all that goes in my car. I got two rows of benches just to be able to carry extra people. DH's Suburban is the "sports" SUV, we invested in the Yakima roof racks for kayaks and snowboard/ski gear along with a rear bike mount for 2 bikes. He has captain's chairs in all rows (we bought it used and it was a custom for the previous owners) which has worked out very well. Until we need a seat for #4 in there, he removed one of the 3rd row chairs for even more cargo room. If I didn't want the extra passenger room then we would of stuck with 2 Suburbans just for ease. My Expedition EL has been fine, it uses more gas then the Suburban. I also was thinking ahead, the EL has more leg room in the 3rd row then Suburban but loses those inches of cargo room because of it.

Two big SUVs was a must for us because we do so much back and forth, one parent dropping off kids, another picking them up. We needed to be able to have two cars that could fit everyone in them with some of the gear. And not to mention I got really tired of DH constantly "stealing" my SUV because he needed to room for his gear!

Gsanmb

I drove the Traverse today and really liked it, so that's a real contender. I am going to drive the Explorer and Expedition as well, and just to check it out because I have a Subaru thing, the Outback.

I looked at the Tahoe and I don't think it was a great value over the Traverse except the towing issue; I'm not sure we'll be towing enough to make it an issue but dh and I will talk about it. The Tahoe is great inside and I liked the ride too but the Traverse is a way better value money wise for more or less the same room.

ETA: We may in the end decide the Suburban is the only realistic option but it makes sense to check it all out anyway.

Keep any and all ideas coming, it's very helpful! Thanks!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I had an Nissan Armada and I LOVED it. The cargo space with the 3rd row up isn't all that great, but with it down you can fit a lot of stuff. It did great in the snow (I had to turn off the traction control before I could do donuts, and I was really trying) The second row is HUGE and very comfortable for three kids.

Towing capacity is 10,000#. Turning radius is as small as Dh's Corolla.

I miss my Armada so much:(

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have an XC90 which I love, but it gets possibly the worse gas mileage on earth. I love it for its safety, but I think with 4 kids it would be hard to get much stuff in it. When the 3rd row seats are up, there just isn't a lot of storage space.

DH has an SUV, so we really don't need another one. I'm trading my XC90 in on Tuesday for a volvo sedan.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I would seriously consider the Toyota Sequoia (2008 and newer) as they are great on interior space and I love they way they drive. They also have a decent amount of cargo space with the third row in use. If we didn't need a *ton* of cargo room I would have gotten one over my Yukon XL. When we are out of the "stroller stage" I will be getting one of those or an Infiniti QX56...unless something else phenomenal comes out in the next 3-4 years.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC