What to do with expired carseats?

ADS

vembirds

We use one in the house for upright seating for infants that aren't sitting up on there own yet. The others have their buckles cut and are placed in the trash since we don't have recycling here.

tjham

I sure wish we had carseat recycling here.

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1542155&postcount=3

I agree with Wendy.

I take off the cover, (save, reuse, donate, whatever)
cut off all the straps and discard them in a separate trash can,
write all over the shell with black marker.
I usually put "crashed - do not use" as it has more impact than "expired".

Then I put the shell in the big trash can and dump used kitty litter and/or old salsa all over it! :p

Using it at BRU is a great idea too, if you need anything there! I don't think it has to be a carseat!

Kobain's Mommy

Using it at BRU is a great idea too, if you need anything there! I don't think it has to be a carseat!

Trade-in any used cribs, car seats, bassinets, strollers, travel systems, playards, toddler beds or high chairs in exchange for a 25% savings on the purchase of any new baby item, in any of these product categories, from select manufacturers. Is what it's been in the past.

Jessica61624

I've taken my seat into bru and didn't use the coupon. I couldn't talk myself into a complete air. They only had a brown frontier so I didn't get anything.

emtb79

Or you can take some frustration out on it, then do what Wendy or Judi said.

Last edited:

agave

I took my crashed seats to BRU and gave my coupons away in the store. I don't know if they got used but I know my seats never got used again. I may let my hubby use a crashed MyRide for target practice and save the other for BRU.

MommaWhitney

Ive got an expired seat and 2 crashed seats. Our safety task force coordinator for my area will be taking them for CPST training/education. They particularly want the Graco MyRide crashed seat I have. Its a very common seat here and they dont have one for training. Im waiting to get them too her until my claim with the insurance is over with. Before I give them Ill take a marker to the shell that will say crashed/expired. They dont give out seats that arent bought with grant money BUT you never know.

emin

We use one in the house for upright seating for infants that aren't sitting up on there own yet. The others have their buckles cut and are placed in the trash since we don't have recycling here.

Same as we do. :) We've a Graco-seat in the laundry room where my 15months old daughter sits while Im doing laundry (the floor isn't child-friendly), but the rest of the seats we'd cut the buckles and placed in the trash.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC