saw something interesting today...

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
I took the girls to a skate inn place here and there were a whole bunch of summer camp groups and preschools...On my way out to the car I noticed a 15 passenger van with what looked to be coverless cosco highback harness booster seats. does any one know that these are...i'm going to try and find a picture

ADS

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
If it was a daycare or day camp, it really would not surprise me if they were just coverless seats. I've seen it so many times. They don't want to have to be responsible for taking apart seats and putting them back together all the time. They can just use a lysol wipe, etc., after an accident. I see coverless lbb all.the.time. :rolleyes: I've seen coverless infant seats on two occasions.

ETA: This is not a safe option. Like we all know not to use things that do not come with the seat or are approved add-ons by the manufacturer, it is important to use the components that come with them...like the covers.

Mom2FiveGirls

Yep...I've seen coverless LBBs more than once. I saw a baby too young to be FFing in a coverless, obviously improperly installed FFing scenera with loose, twisty straps and a belly clip a few days ago :( Apparently some people think the covers are optional.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
wow...i'm surprised that it would be legal for an organization to do this, i have never seen that before. If i can remember the name of the day care group i'm going to email them

Baylor

Ugh.. I would think it would make it easier for the child to submarine? I guess just like there are people that add crap to seats there are those that do not even use what it comes with.. like a cover.

Kat_Momof3

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suppose the parent of the child riding in it probably supplied it.

Harnessed, I doubt a lack of cover (due to a potty accident) would hurt things, but on a booster, I can totally see where the child being on slippery plastic instead of the cover over it could indeed cause issues with the belt staying on properly.

The only booster I can think of that was sold almost totally bare (the evenflo right fit) was not as smooth and slippery as the boosters we see that are so covered.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suppose the parent of the child riding in it probably supplied it.

Harnessed, I doubt a lack of cover (due to a potty accident) would hurt things, but on a booster, I can totally see where the child being on slippery plastic instead of the cover over it could indeed cause issues with the belt staying on properly.

The only booster I can think of that was sold almost totally bare (the evenflo right fit) was not as smooth and slippery as the boosters we see that are so covered.

there was 4 of them in the van

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
eyeslkethesky5391 said:
wow...i'm surprised that it would be legal for an organization to do this, i have never seen that before. If i can remember the name of the day care group i'm going to email them

No one said it was legal.

christineka

Not necessarily legal, but daycares do all kinds of things. Most daycare vans I see are filled with expired car seats.

MommaWhitney

Another reason why I choose not to send my kids to day care. Id totally loose it and it wouldnt be pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Evolily

I went to a sort of boarding school (I graduated in 05)- youngest kid was 7. On a regular basis we road completely unrestrained, and I remember the counselors putting the youngest kids on their laps because there wasn't enough room.

This would not surprise me at all.

spinningfans

once in a while, I rode on the floor of the mini van when my babysitter had to run an errand with us. It was rare we ever went anywhere but there wasn't always space for a seat for everyone. She was strict about whomever was on the floor being the biggest and staying seated and still at all times though at least...

It wouldn't surprise me that day cares would be using seats incorrectly, or even not at all.

That is sad that they chose to take the covers off. If you email be sure to post back any response you get.

^^PP^^ Not ALL of us daycare providers are, um, dumb, lol! I promote car seat safety in my daycare, and may have lost a few clients during the interview process. One told me her 10mo was FF so I talked to her about it and helped her RF her son again & get the seat in right. Another, I offered to show crash test videos on youtube, she agreed, & we talked about RF until at least 2yrs (13mo, 18lb FF) but she also never signed. I am very nice with the way I go about it & don't think I come off as judgemental.
That said, my dd went to a regulated home daycare as an older infant & even though her infant seat was there, the provider was FF her when they'd go out! My dd didn't FF until 26mo. She is 9 now. I was so livid when I found out! There were other bad things too....

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
It may be legal for the kids to ride completely unrestrained. In some states, vehicles that are licensed as commercial are exempt from seat belt laws, and sometimes even from carseat/booster seat laws. Granted most of the daycares don't advertise the fact that that's why they've done it, and they still buckle the kids up and try to use some kind of seat, but they're still legally allowed to transport the kids however they want.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC