Driving cross-country!

scatterbunny

If this looks/sounds familiar to anyone, I posted this yesterday during the server move and it's gone now, so I'm reposting. ;)

My best friend who lives in Virginia is getting married. She's had a long-distance relationship with her boyfriend here in Oregon for a couple of years and he asked her to marry him and move back home.

He's paying for my ticket to fly to Virginia and then I'll share driving duties with my friend to come home. She'll have a car-ful of stuff, including a cat that gets carsick. :p

Safety-wise I'm a bit worried as it's a mid-eighties car, but I've always wanted to do a cross-country road trip and I definitely want to help my friend.

The states we will be travelling through (or are considering travelling through) are:

Virginia (near Fredericksburg, then west)
West Virginia (Charleston)
Ohio (Canton, Akron, Toledo)
Indiana (South Bend, Gary)
Illinois (Chicago)
Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Sheboygan, Sturgeon Bay)
Minnesota (southeast corner, maybe)
Iowa (Des Moines)
Nebraska (not sure yet-Omaha, Lincoln, Grand Island)
Missouri (not sure yet-Kansas City)
Kansas (not sure yet-Topeka, Salina)
Colorado (Denver)
Wyoming (not sure yet-Cheyenne)
Utah (Salt Lake City)
Nevada (maybe)
Idaho (Twin Falls, Boise, Nampa)

So who wants to get together for coffee/lunch/dinner when I come through your area? :)

ADS

jennsmile

My reply got lost as well. My favorite places on your route to stop are Nauvoo Il. A little town that has been restored and has free tours, and a free pagent. It is like stepping back in time and I love visiting. It is really a neat place, plus my dh's ancestors had settled there briefly when they came to america.

And Temple Square is a great place to Visit in Salt Lake City. It is beautiful.

Jenn

scatterbunny

Thanks, Jenn. I just saved Nauvoo on my map, now to just figure out if it adds too many miles to the trip to make it. Since, from Chicago, we're heading up north to Wisconsin and then back down south to Kansas City, I'm not sure we can veer back into Illinois or not. I'll try, though! It sounds like a beautiful place.

I'll definitely make time to see Temple Square in Salt Lake City, too.

momof2kiddos

If I still lived in chicago I would have lunch with ya'll...darn navy*insert sarcasm*(I hate IL)lol...;)

Have fun!!

scatterbunny

:cry: why cant AL be in between here and there lol!

I know, huh? That would be awesome. :) I want to visit so many southern states, but it's just too far out of the way for this trip.

Like i said before i dont live that far away if you are in VA on the weekend i can make the trip down

I'll let you know when I figure out what days we'll be there. I know the friends we're visiting in Detroit, Michigan (decided to drive up there instead of having them meet us in Toledo, Ohio) only have Thursday and Friday off work, so we're thinking of leaving Virginia on Thursday morning so we can make it to Detroit by Thursday night.

LuvBug

I know, huh? That would be awesome. :) I want to visit so many southern states, but it's just too far out of the way for this trip.

well if you are ever near AL, TN, or GA hit me up! lol! But I do have hopes that I will make it to the 09 lifesavers in TN, so maybe Ill finally have a chance to meet with some of you ladies(and gents ;) ) in real life!!

Loves2sing

Road trips are sooooo much fun! We've even driven to Las Vegas with our daughter from Calgary, then back up through Calgary to Saskatoon. Long drive, but so much fun! Have a blast!!! I hope your friend's car holds up! Make sure she has AMA!

MsFacetious

Well I'm close to Salt Lake. Lol. :) Depending on when you'll actually be here. If not I might be in Minnesota.

You are brave... I won't even take my 2002 Van on road trips because I'm afraid it won't make it! Lol.

Suzibeck

You will be passing a couple of hours south of us. I do make a trip into Michigan City, Indiana, a couple of times a year so if I could coordinate that trip with your passing through... I usually go in Sept, but we will be going to NY then so I may make the MC trip in August.

Morganthe

If you go between Nevada & Utah on the way to Salt Lake City, be sure to make a detour at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It is completely worth the extra miles. Only 10% of visitors to the GC make it there. Uncrowded and much more simpler, it's 1000 feet higher and much wilder than the South Rim. The Lodge lounge has this awesome view that you will never experience again in your lifetime! It's only open from end of April - mid/late Sept because it gets socked in with Snow.

I'll never forget our camping experience there and I regret that we stayed there less days than the South Rim. That was like Disneyland in comparison, especially how all the huge RVs took over the campground and idled in the early morning. Stunk to high heaven.

As far as I'm concerned, the North Rim is the closest to Heaven that you can ever reach in the US. It is terrible in its magnificent wild beauty.

scatterbunny

I'll be flying to Virginia and driving back to Oregon from there, so not sure if we'll make it to the Grand Canyon. I'll put it on the list of things I want to see, though, and try to plan for it!

Becky, who's "we"? :p

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Fredericksburg is about 1.5 hours from me. I'll drive down (if I am not working at that point). :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC