Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Britax Frayed Strap Issues, Again. PLEASE HELP.

I've always loosened the harness and retightened it each time my children use the seat. And I loosen it quite a bit. Thought you were supposed to.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I don't loosen the straps for DS to get in and out of his Radian. I don't loosen the straps on the Como and I didn't on the CCO but I usually did on his SR22. I really didn't have to on the TF because it has a continuous harness. I would probably have to if DS fought me when getting in his seat but he doesn't for now at least.
    DS1 3.24.10 riding in a Frontier 90 in booster mode and a Cybex M-Fix.
    DS2 1.18.14 rear facing in a Foonf and a Fllo.

I loosen our straps waaay out too. Every time. But, I do have a tendency to switch seats between kids and our cars often (so RF to FF, etc.)

My guess? The harness adjuster is pulling to the sides when you loosen, not tighten. But that doesn't explain the FR because it would be hanging straight down.

Weird.

Sent from my Nexus One using Car-Seat.Org

I loosen it all the way each time. There is no way on earth I can squish DD in without loosening it. It may work for others to not loosen, but there is nothing wrong with loosening each time. There is no right or wrong way to get the kid in the seat! However, I just checked my MA70 and there is no fraying whatsoever. I know exactly why my older MA did, though. It's beause of how I tightened it when it was in the center. I pulled to the side and got fraying.
    Jacky, CPST and mom to Kenzie(5) and Maverick(3) Riding in a Frontier, Marathon 70 and Radian, Safety 1st Store N Go and Evenflo Right Fit

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

How tight are you getting them? Could you be over-tightening perhaps?

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=465536
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    How tight are you getting them? Could you be over-tightening perhaps?

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=465536
    After looking at the pics you provided (thanks!) I'm pretty sure I am. I was taught that you shouldn't be able to get a finger under the harness strap. I'm not going to tighten as much AND not pull the harness out all the way when I get my kids out. And while not tightening my kids in so much is valid, it's pretty irritating that I have to remember to not pull the harness out so much (it's just habit by now). Pulling a harness out a lot should not compromise the safety of a seat in my opinion.
    Marisa, mommy to Desmond, 4 years old, 38#, FF in a Onyx Britax Frontier 85 SICT - Mia, 17 months old, 25#, RF in a Cowmoo Britax Advocate 70 CS

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msuarez919 View Post
    After looking at the pics you provided (thanks!) I'm pretty sure I am. I was taught that you shouldn't be able to get a finger under the harness strap.
    Oh wow, you must have some strong muscles by now! I hope this fixes the fraying issue for you, though.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!