Question Difference between a nautilus and a dedicated booster?

Swtnsassy2c

Is one safer than the other? DS who is 6.5 rides in his nautilus in booster mode and does really well. Do I have to get him a dedicated booster or is he fine in the nautlius?

ADS

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
he is fine in the nautilus as long as the belt fit is good...the nautlius without the harnesses is the same thing as a dedicated booster

Pixels

There is no safety difference between a combination seat, like the Nautilus, used in booster mode and a dedicated booster. They meet the same safety standards. Of course either must be used properly.

Swtnsassy2c

Thanks I didn't know if it was the same thing as a dedicated booster. His belt fit us awesome and I am glad I don't have to buy him another seat. The nautilus has been a great seat and he will still fit boostered for awhile.

Kat_Momof3

with some combo seats (used to be almost all) there was a good reason to prefer dedicated boosters... belt fit

with newer ones (such as the Nautilus), it's not necessarily true.

If the seat offers a good belt fit and your child is comfortable, there is no reason not to use it as a booster.

I had a nautilus for Ruthie and I chose not to use it as a booster, but my reason was not belt fit (it fit her well), but two other things... 1. leg fit... I have a girl who didn't start really growing legs until after she was in a booster. Her knees didn't remotely bend naturally at the edge of the Nauti, which was fine in harnessed mode, but in booster mode, made her want to slouch. 2. sleep support. She has always been a floppy-head child when sleeping and that included the Nauti at times... and that was harnessed... so booster mode wouldn't work for that...

We got the Recaro Vivo for her main ride when the time came because it had a shorter seat pan for her short thighs, was tall for her long torso, slim like she was , and had good thick headwings for sleeping.

We even chose it over her brothers' SK Monterey I could have passed down (putting him in a backless full time a little sooner) because it didn't have the ideal belt fit I wanted and was also too deep and also too wide for her really.

with boosters, it's all about belt fit and comfort.

If my son, Jeffrey, had been young enough to have had a Nautilus when he was harnessed, I would have used it for him as a booster... his torso is long for his build, but his legs were longer proportionally to hers... and he has been able to sleep bolt upright since before he was 1yr old (even in shopping cart seats)... He actually used it a few times when I used him to help me see if I thought it would make a good booster when I first got the seat.

It sounds like, for your son, it's a great booster choice.

Baylor

My son is now using his GN as a dedicated booster and it fits him really well. I want another one for emergencies, friends and DH's car.

Swtnsassy2c

Thanks.
We have an extra booster for dhs truck already so I will resist the urge to buy a $60 Monterey off of strollers.com :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC