New car and wanting to get a new seat

Mommy06OK

I just got an 07' Honda CRV, I absolutely love it...and I am ok with the install I got with DS's MA(I did take the head rest off, that's ok right?). Here's the thing, DH wants to get another seat so we aren't playing switcharoo every time he takes DS somewhere in his car. What seat should we get? DS is 4 1/2, about 43 inches and usually about 38 lbs. He is definitely not a tall guy, he is on the 2nd to top slot on his MA. DH wants to get a seat he can use for a while but isn't necessarily expensive as we won't need it forever...he knows and agrees that the plan is to keep DS harnessed as long as possible. So our dilemma is do we get a seat that turns into a booster eventually or save the money and buy something that just has a high harness weight and height and buy a nice booster later(he has this idea in his head that it might be cheaper that way). So, we are confused. Please help.

ADS

Chely7425

I would probably buy a Maestro... it is around 80 dollars and harnesses to 50 pounds. It is outgrown as a booster around the same time as the harness is outgrown but it isn't an expensive seat so that wouldn't worry me. Then you can get him a dedicated booster later. The other option would be a Nautilus, which does turn into a booster and is around 120-150, but I always worry about what if it is a bad booster fit.

Mommy06OK

That was my worry about the Nauti being a bad booster and having 2 of them. I keep thinking I was a Frontier 85. I mean that's my goal, to harness him as long as possible...he's just to active to be in a booster any time soon. I mean he obviously won't be 50 lbs anytime soon, but is that wasting money...as I would need another seat after he outgrew that one?

Chely7425

I am always leary of combo seats, just because you never know if the kid will fit well in the booster. With a FR85 or a Nauti it is likely the fit will be ok, but if it isn't that just sucks. That being said, I have a Nauti and will likely buy another but I have 2 younger children to pass them down to once the older boys move to boosters.

DahliaRW

If you're worried about booster fit get a maestro. The cost of a maestro + dedicated booster later can be less than nautilus now, depending on what booster you get. ANd the maestro is outgrown in booster mode the same time as harnessed for the most part, so you don't have to worry about booster fit!

Mommy06OK

If money wasn't an issue and you wanted to get the most out of your money what would you get? So far, the Maestro looks like a good option, does anyone know if the highest slot is higher or shorter than the MA?

lovemybabies924

I would grab a maestro now so u can have fun picking a booster later haha

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC