I'm doing a car seat photo shoot tomorrow

Joddle

For the brochure I am making. I have a list of the photos I need to get, but want to make sure I haven't missed anything! Here's what I have so far.

Correct use of bucket, RF convertible, FF seat, booster.
Incorrect use of bucket - add on padding.
Incorrect use of RF convertible - straps too low (must be at or above over here).
Incorrect use of FF seat - too small to FF, puffy jacket, straps too loose, arms out of straps, too big for the seat.
Incorrect use of booster - too small for booster, slouching/lap belt too high, sash behind back, headrest in wrong position.

Have I missed anything important?

Models are 1, 2, 3, 4 and 9 years old.

ADS

Joddle

Ok I've written what I would like to include and gotten a friend to proof read, but she isn't a car seat nerd so I don't know if I should exclude any of it/be more specific in parts.

How does this sound for the RFing section? I will post FFing and boostering when they are done.

"Rear facing (RF) is the safest way to travel for babies and toddlers. In fact, it is 5 times safer than forward facing. The law states
children must remain RFing up to 6 months old. However it is highly recommended to keep babies and toddlers RFing until they reach the limits of their seat. This is usually 12kgs, and less than 2.5cm of shell above their head. Most children can easily make it to 1 year old RFing, if not longer.
When using a RFing car seat, make sure the harness straps are adjusted so they are at or above baby’s shoulders, that they are not twisted, and ensure they are firmly fitted every time. Also, do not use any padding or inserts that did not come with the car seat as this can affect the proper fit of the harness to the child’s body."

Ladyl

for RF the straps need to be at or below the shoulders ff the straps need to be at or above the shoulders

The OP in is in Australia and she specified that the rules are different there. Though I am curious as to why the rule change depending on the country. Are the seats designed differently, or does it have more to do with super early ffing that is common there?

bnsnyde

Why RF at or above? I am simply curious.
Our RF straps are really below. They don't slip. I am too afraid to do "at" in case I get them above by accident.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The OP in is in Australia and she specified that the rules are different there. Though I am curious as to why the rule change depending on the country. Are the seats designed differently, or does it have more to do with super early ffing that is common there?

They are designed differently. Seats in Australia have a tether over the top toward the back of the car to prevent ramping up. So there's no need to prevent that with straps below the shoulders. Therefore they use them above to prevent any possibility of spinal compression.

Jessica61624

ketchupqueen said:
They are designed differently. Seats in Australia have a tether over the top toward the back of the car to prevent ramping up. So there's no need to prevent that with straps below the shoulders. Therefore they use them above to prevent any possibility of spinal compression.

Please excuse me if this sounds dumb...but in the marathon manual it says it allows the seat to be top tether to the top tether that would.used for ff also. If I used this would I need to do at or above? Or continue to do at or below?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Please excuse me if this sounds dumb...but in the marathon manual it says it allows the seat to be top tether to the top tether that would.used for ff also. If I used this would I need to do at or above? Or continue to do at or below?

Because your seat is designed to be used with or without the tether, you should continue to follow the manual's instructions and use at or below. The point is to always follow the instructions; in Australia, the instructions say at or above, here, they say at or below. :)

Joddle

Because your seat is designed to be used with or without the tether, you should continue to follow the manual's instructions and use at or below. The point is to always follow the instructions; in Australia, the instructions say at or above, here, they say at or below. :)
Thanks for answering that for me kq while I slept lol! That is all correct, our top tether design stops ramping up. How is the RF paragraph apart from that?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In your case I would actually state "when rear-facing, make sure that the straps are adjusted to the closest slot above or just at the baby's shoulders" as that prevents too-high straps, and is the way European directions I've read put it (not sure about AU.)

I'd probably describe the pinch test, and also, you'll spell out rear-facing, right?

Should you describe locking the seatbelt/locking clips? I know that's an issue over there.

Joddle

In your case I would actually state "when rear-facing, make sure that the straps are adjusted to the closest slot above or just at the baby's shoulders" as that prevents too-high straps, and is the way European directions I've read put it (not sure about AU.)

I'd probably describe the pinch test, and also, you'll spell out rear-facing, right?

Should you describe locking the seatbelt/locking clips? I know that's an issue over there.
Yes I will spell out rear-facing and I have changed the strap height sentence to your sentence.
I've put the pinch test in the FF para, but i guess i should put it here and add "perform the pinch test the same as for an RF seat" in the FF para.
I was going to mention locking clips etc, but an "acceptable" install over here is just the seatbelt buckled and pulled tight. We aren't required to lock them unless the seat has locking clips that must be used. We don't have a maximum amount of allowable movement, they are safe as long as they are buckled and tightened as this is how they are tested.
In saying that though, when I do checks/installs, I always explain that that is how the seat passes testing, but I prefer to have it locked in some way and I show them how to do it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Don't they require "no excessive movement?" I thought I read that somewhere. So you might say that seats should be installed with no excessive movement, and to use a locking clip if necessary to achieve that?

I would probably put tight installation, proper tether use, and tight harness all together for "any harnessed seat, rear- or forward-facing." Or something.

Joddle

Don't they require "no excessive movement?" I thought I read that somewhere. So you might say that seats should be installed with no excessive movement, and to use a locking clip if necessary to achieve that?

Nope, it's stupid! 99% of the manuals just say

"engage car seat buckle and tongue. Push down on the restraint while pulling all slack out of the lap portion of the belt. Then pull the remaining slack in the sash belt and let it feed back into the retractor"

or similar to that.

I will add in that last sentence, thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC