Head slump while FFing

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
So I know about head slump while RFing- that it is typically okay as long as the baby has head control and can pick his or her head back up.

What about head slump while FFing? How bad is it for a two, three, or even four year old? Any tips to avoid it?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
They can pic up their head, so not a problem. Are we talking about a certain seat and vehicle, or in general?

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Just in general. So its okay for a FFing child to fall asleep with their head slumped? Would they do any different than a child with their head up if there was an accident?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I was just looking at a head slump kiddo. Their head was still inside the seat.

Anyone else want to add anything? I would love opinions.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Along the same lines.... does it make any difference for absorbing the impact that the child is in a state of sleep and their muscles would all be relaxed? I have no clue about that statement - we just watched the movie Due Date the other night though ... not exactly a reputable source but and so it popped into my head. It's something I've kinda wondered about anyway, if a sleeping child would fare any different in a crash than an awake child.

But just thinking about the physics.... usually a forward facing child in a crash experiences forward head and neck excursion, right? So is it possible that by already having the head and neck in a relaxed and forward position it may actually shorten the excursion? I have no idea, just throwing it out there.

rxmommy

Wondering the same thing too. Evelyn's head slumps forward all.the.time in her Boulevard. I don't notice it nearly as often as I used to though because thankfully she no longer snores when sleeping. :D Is it an issue? She's in a captain's chair, what about reclining the seat a tad? It looks like it is really upright. She has never complained.

On the plus side, Olivia slept both ways to our party yesterday (70 mile one way drive) and stayed perfectly in position in her booster. yay!

tiggercat

This is what I saw in my rearview on a trip with my almost 6 yr old last week. I stopped at the next rest area, took a pic, propped her head up, and the next time I looked back on the road it was back like this. I don't think it is very safe, personally. In a SIP on her side, she'd be hit directly.
I might consider putting her in something else next time we go on a trip, she sleeps better in her turbo than this, IMO.

Last edited:

luckyclov

Don't our bodies react better in crashes if we don't tense up? And, if we're sleeping, we wouldn't tense up pre-impact, right? So, using that logic (and the fact that vehicle head slump usually only occurs during a state of sleep), wouldn't it be a little OK? Mostly for a frontal or rear impact. Maybe even a side impact as well, as long as the head were atleast partially contained in the child seat. And possibly side curtain bags...hmmm.

How's that for a rambled mess of thoughts?

MommaWhitney

clov878 said:
Don't our bodies react better in crashes if we don't tense up?

acording to my chiropractor who sees a lot of crash victoms from my dad who is an injury lawyer, this is true. My second wreck I saw the guy before he hit me. I knew he wasnt stopping and I tensed up. I messed my back up big time. Third wreck same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

KaiLing

In terms of SIP, most crashes have some forward component, so that doesn't bother me that much, because they're already going to have head excursion, most likely.

My problem is it looks un! comfortable! I hate falling asleep like that on the airplane. The recline on those Britaxes is really an attractive feature. But I'm the crazy lady who's currently weighing her kid more than I'd like to keep him RF partially because he's a car sleeper and can't sleep when his head slumps.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
kids are not small adults. They can be in positions that we think are uncomfortable, but they are fine, so head slump doesn't bother me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC