some "great" ebay seats

amyg530

DS went to bed super early so i just spent the last like 40 minutes looking at all the seats on ebay and here are some i found, i dont know for sure if they are all too old but they are the ones that jumped out at me as looking old, i messages all the sellers asking the DOM in hope that they'll see an exp date on them, the 97 one i told the seller about the exp at 7 years def no more than 10 so hopefully they will pull it

http://cgi.ebay.com/GERRY-AUTO-BOOS...0QQihZ003QQcategoryZ66694QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i found this one in the pictoral thing and the last year on it was 98!

http://cgi.ebay.com/GREAT-BABY-CAR-...45QQihZ014QQcategoryZ2987QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i love that its states, age unknown, as if the seller knows it probably too old but just doesnt care

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220118298459&fromMakeTrack=true

obviously too old if its from a 97 car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...E:B:AAQ:US:1&viewitem=&item=280120656937&rd=1

ADS

southpawboston

i thought we had a discussion a long time ago about CL/ebay ads and avoiding judgmental comments. the idea being, if any of these sellers were to come here and learn that they were the subject of judgmental/sarcastic comments, it doesn't help our credibility and may just alienate people who may be coming here to genuinely learn. i think this actually happened once with a CL ad, it turned into a big snafu.

amyg530

oops, my bad, i'm fairly new to the site and was unaware of this, i guess once i learned i was just amazed by some of it. i wont post anymore ebay stuff. on the plus side, the lister of the 97 seat emailed me asking what he thougth i should do and i told him he should pull the auction and destroy the seat. thanks for letting me know that i shouldnt post this, i can see what you mean about if they came here and read this that it would be upsetting.:sorry!:

southpawboston

well you did the right thing in terms of contacting the seller to try to inform them (in a friendly and unpresumptuous way) about expirations... :thumbsup:

just the part about the one seller probably not caring about the age is what struck me as not fair, it's something we don't know. most sellers are honest and just don't know better... many of use have been there before (i never knew about expiration dates until i joined this site!)

amyg530

you're right, i didnt know before either, i guess i just thought that because they made a point to put that the age of the seat was unknown that it seemed like they were aware that age was important, if that makes sence, but you're right, i shouldnt jump to conclusions

tl01

i thought we had a discussion a long time ago about CL/ebay ads and avoiding judgmental comments. the idea being, if any of these sellers were to come here and learn that they were the subject of judgmental/sarcastic comments, it doesn't help our credibility and may just alienate people who may be coming here to genuinely learn. i think this actually happened once with a CL ad, it turned into a big snafu.

What was rude about her post?

southpawboston

What was rude about her post?

where did i say rude? i said judgmental, sarcastic, and/or presumptuous:

i love that its states, age unknown, as if the seller knows it probably too old but just doesnt care

most individual ebay sellers are honest people. this seller has 99.4% positive feedback, so nearly all of his 3000+ transactions ended very happily. i highly doubt he "knew" it was too old and "didn't care". it's possible, but who are we to judge?

some "great" ebay seats

sounds sarcarstic to me.

fact is, if i were that seller, and had received a friendly note informing me about the importance of expiration dates, and i had decided to come to this forum to learn more and educate myself more about what i am selling, and i had stumbled upon this thread only to learn that it was about me and that i "probably didn't care", i would definitely feel slighted, and my opinion of this site would drop instantly.

i honestly don't understand the need to include sarcasm or tongue-in-cheek comments in these threads about CL/ebay seats. it just makes people on the "other side" feel looked down upon. the way i see the current crop of negative CL/ebay ads is that they are just thumbing their noses at these sellers with ridicule rather than trying to engage them productively. the admins here wouldn't tolerate inappropriate comments aimed at another forum member, so why should it be tolerated when it is aimed at a potentially innocent third-party person? that's just my :twocents:

amyg530

tl01
i'm actually glad she called me out on this b/c i hadnt thought about how it would look from the other side, i had just seen other people post about ebay seats and so i did the same. i came to this site to be edcuated and would HATE to find out that someone else who did the same felt pushed away b/c of a sarcastic comment i made about them. and i would really HATE to think that b/c of that same thing that a parent might decide it wasnt worth it to read up on all this safety stuff and therefor a child looses out on the chance of better safety.
i definatly know that i dont always think before i speak (or post) so i'm glad to be made aware of what i might be doing.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Amy and welcome. To be honest, many of us are guilty of occasional sarcasm here, primarily because we're so passionate about the topic of child passenger safety. :eek: And some of the eBay and craigslist sellers will be receptive to e-mails about seat recalls/expirations, and others will be defensive and sarcastic no matter how nicely they're contacted, but we keep plugging away and trying to spread the word. Thanks for helping to spread the word about old seats and the safety issues they can pose. :)

Pssst, southpaw is a guy. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC