sensory issues with harness straps

turtlemama

A friend I just "met" on Facebook has a child in a safety first all in one. The pic shows the straps below the shoulders and loose with chest clip down. I asked if she could raise the head rest any more and she said she could but he has sensory issues with the straps rubbing his neck even with the padding on, so she keeps it lowered where it doesn't rub. Is there any solution where she can raise the head rest and it not bother the child?

ADS

henrietta

A friend I just "met" on Facebook has a child in a safety first all in one. The pic shows the straps below the shoulders and loose with chest clip down. I asked if she could raise the head rest any more and she said she could but he has sensory issues with the straps rubbing his neck even with the padding on, so she keeps it lowered where it doesn't rub. Is there any solution where she can raise the head rest and it not bother the child?

I have an autistic child w/sensory issues, too. The easiest thing to do is to pull his t-shirt up under the harness straps before she tightens them. Another seat w/wider harness straps may help, too. My kids will not tolerate the Safety First seats b/c of how narrow the shoulder harness slots are. I don't know if the Evenflo Maestro has wider straps--it does have the red tabs though, but they don't bother my ds on the Triumph Advance.. The Nautilus may be wider.

The only other thing I can think of is the sock trick that probably really isn't "legal". I'd rather make the parental decision to put some very thin pad on his straps, like baby socks, and keep the harness at the right height. I think it may be the lesser of two evils, but I'm not a CPST.

hths

henrietta

Dorothy

The Maestro has pretty narrow straps, but it does not have the red tabs. The first day DD rode in her Maestro, she complained about the straps on her neck. I cut the toes off some old baby socks and used them as harness comfort pads. She hasn't had any trouble since.

The TF has wider slots. Although, that's on the lower settings. I haven't used the higher ones yet.

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org. Ignore the Autocorrect...

Last edited:
some of my siblings had severe sensary issues my mom had to use harnesses covers made of velvet or minkie even though strap covers are not ideal it was safer for them to use them and have tight straps than not use them and have loose straps

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The sensory kiddo I babysit for is like that. She does well with the Radian Primros/Metro strap covers. It is the first seat she has sat well in without really having a hard time.

turtlemama

Turns out she'll need a new seat soon anyway, he's 38 lbs in a 40lb seat. I gave her all the suggestions here though so hopefully one of them will work for her.

Dorothy

henrietta said:
For some reason, I missed that. Thanks for catching me!

DS1 has sat in the Maestro many times and is totally fine w/the straps, but does NOT like the Graco Nautilus.

henrietta

:)

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org. Ignore the Autocorrect...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC