Worst or best older vans?

Saramomofmany

We are planning on buying a used older van in the next few weeks. We will only have about $1500-$2,000 to buy one(we don't want to get a loan), so we are going to be severly limited on what we can afford. Some that we've seen around that are in our price range are: Ford Windstar, GMC safari, Chevy Astro, Dodge Caravan, Ford Aerostar, Plymouth Voyager, Toyota Previa. They are in the 1992-1999 age range.

Is there a list of any that are safer than others? Or really horrible compared to others? I realize they aren't going to have all the safety features of the newer vehicles, but would like to try to have the safest choices. Thanks so much!! Sara

ADS

southpawboston

ask scatterbunny, she just went through the same situation as you. she ended up with a windstar. i'm sure she did all that research so she can give you the whole scoop.

if you want to research it yourself, just go to www.IIHS.org or www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP to find a car you're interested in and see how it scored in each type of crash test.

scatterbunny

Southpaw gave you the links for crash test information. :)

Of those you listed, the only one I would personally consider is the Windstar, all the others get a marginal or poor frontal crash rating from IIHS.

The Safari, Astro and Aerostar are built on truck frames (if I remember correctly) and are more prone to rollovers.

The Voyager/Caravan (same van, different trim and name) has Generation 3 seatbelts, I would never own one. http://unsafebelts.com/

Saramomofmany

Southpaw gave you the links for crash test information. :)

Of those you listed, the only one I would personally consider is the Windstar, all the others get a marginal or poor frontal crash rating from IIHS.

The Safari, Astro and Aerostar are built on truck frames (if I remember correctly) and are more prone to rollovers.

The Voyager/Caravan (same van, different trim and name) has Generation 3 seatbelts, I would never own one. http://unsafebelts.com/

Thanks for the info you guys!!

Scatterbunny, Oh my on the seat belts...never had a clue. Thanks for potentially saving my familie's lifes.

So you ended up with a Windstar...what year if you don't mind me asking? What do you think? How much room is behind the 3rd row?? Thanks!! Sara

scatterbunny

I'm glad to help! I didn't know about the Gen3 belts either until starting to post here. I would have gladly owned a Caravan/Voyager, too.

I ended up with a 99 Windstar, only because my Nana gave me $2300 of my inheritance to put towards a vehicle ($2000 was our max budget originally, too). We got it for $4300.

When our budget was $2000 I was still planning on getting a Windstar (if we went with a minivan, I waffled on that for awhile), but probably a 96ish.

I'm ecstatic we were able to go with the 99 though, because it has headrests on four of the five rear seating positions. Older Windstars have lowback bench seats, so once kids outgrow highback booster seats (age 10-12 usually, if you have good, tall boosters) they aren't safe. There needs to be vehicle seatback or headrest at least to the tips of a person's ears to be safe.

I went from a 94 Mazda MPV to this Windstar, and the cargo room in the Windstar is IMMENSE compared to the MPV. :p I'll have to measure it tomorrow, it's raining right now and I don't want to go outside.

skaterbabs

Run far, far, far away from the Previa. My IL's had one and so did a friend of mine. They're comfy and all, but that mid-engine design and the fact that it's a Toyota means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for repairs, even if you can do them yourself.

I rolled an Astro due to ice in February 2003. It was pretty scary and my boys are not exactly roller coaster fans now. :p

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
For safety in minivans before 1999, the Windstar was by far the best choice. If you avoid some of the problems that plagued certain engine options in earlier years and make sure it's not a lemon, you should be fine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC