How to fit 2 infant carriers, 1RF carseat, and 1FF carseat in minivan

Momof4girl

I have 4yo FF in an Evenflo Triumph, a 2yo RF in an Evenflo Triumph, and we are expecting twins this fall for which I have 2 Graco Snugrides. What is your advice to get them all in a 2010 VW Routan?

I want to keep my 2yo RF as long as possible. She is only 23 lbs and has a few inches of height before she will hit the height limit of her seat. I also want to keep my 4yo in a harness as long as possible. There is only a tether anchor for the 3rd row in the center seat.

I was hoping I could remove a 2nd row captains chair, keep my 2yo RF in the other chair in the 2nd row, and put the twins and my 4yo in the 3rd row. However, the Evevflo Triumph and 2 Snugrides do not fit in the 3rd row

I think a Radian FF may work between the 2 Snugrides in the 3rd row. With all the expenses of unexpected twins, I'm trying to avoid yet another expensive purchase. However, if this is the best way we can make the purchase.

Does anyone know if a Radian can fit or if there are other options that may work with our current seats?

Also, what are your suggestions for when the twins outgrow their infant seats? My older 2 hit the height limits of the infant seats around 8-9 months.

ADS

Jan06twinmom

How big is your 4yo? If the 4yo is petite like the 2yo, I would try a Maestro in the 3rd row to see if it would work with the infant seats. It's also a pretty narrow seat.

When the babies outgrow the infant seats, you might want to look at the Cosco Sceneras since they are narrow and budget-friendly. When your oldest is at least 6yo, then you could do the car seat shuffle - booster seat for the oldest, Maestro (or Radian) goes to the 2nd child, and twins move to the Evenflo Triumphs. You might loose your ability to do 3 across at this point, but it might not be as big of an issue when your children are 2 or 3 years older.

Melanie

Momof4girl

My 4yo is petite but on the tall side. She is about 35lbs and 42" (as of March). If the Maestro is about as thin as the Radian, it may work. That is much more budget friendly than a Radian! Thank you!!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Which version of the Snugride do you have? 22, 30, 32 or 35? If they are not the 30, you have about ZERO chance of getting a 3 across in that back seat :(

I have a Town and Country which is basically the same van. I believe the interior seats and seat belts are identical. You will NOT be able to do a FF Radian in the middle of the 3rd row (because of the little box where the middle seat belt comes from the ceiling and hooks into).

How much does the 4 year old weigh? If he/she is under 48lbs you can use the offset LATCH and Top Tether in the 3rd row for that seat. After 48lbs, you would probably have to change seats around. The Chrysler and VW vans stink for people with more than 3 kids :thumbsdown:

My suggestion is to put the twins on the captain's chairs. The seats "Flip" forward with seats still attached (if installed with LATCH) and so you could put 1 baby in, put the other on the front seat. Flip seat forward, load children in 3rd row, and then flip the seat down and click carrier into the base.

Putting 3 in the 3rd row is a really big pain :(

ETA Sorry I started to post then walked away to take brownies out of the oven... ignore anything that is overlapped with your new info :)

Last edited:

Momof4girl

I have the Snugride22. My 4yo is only about 34-35lbs. I mostly want to be able to use the tether anchor for her. I'm not as concerned about using the rest of the LATCH. Anyne know how secure Evenflo Triumphs are with just seat belts and no tether?

If I can flip the Captains chair with the base in the seat that would be great!

We are thinking now to keep the twins 2nd row, 4yo center 3rd row, and 2yo RF in 3rd row. If I can get them side by side in 3rd row I can fold the 40 seat down and can access the seats by the trunk if I need to. Do you think this is possible?

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I think that sounds like a good plan. You could load in the 2 older children, snap one baby in the base, set the other on the "floor board", climb or lean in the back, buckle in the older 2 and then snap in baby #2.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC