Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP 30/30 Infant Car Seat (2011)

U

Unregistered

Hi! does anyone know anything about the safety of the fabrics / materials used in the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP 30/30 Infant Car Seat (2011) in terms of chemicals used / flame retardants ? I've searched their website & looked at descriptions from Buy Buy Baby and Babies R US but can't seem to find anything other than: "Headrest and padding made of soft "Confort dry" microfiber cloth that stays comfortably dry and allows proper ventilation". I've been told that the fabric/materials are of a "higher quality" compared to less expensive brands but I don't know the extent to which potentially harmful chemicals are used int he product. I realize its probably not going to be as green as an Orbit Baby car seat but just wondering if anyone had any information. I'm thinking of purchasing the Peg. Thanks a lot!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Unrelated to the chemicals, try installing the seat and seeing how it fits (the handle must be at the top of the head) and how easy the installation is (many cars do not allow for center LATCH). You may decide it's too much of a pain to deal with installing and fitting and ignore the chemicals in the seat. It's a nice looking seat, but of all of the infant seats out there, that's the one I cringe when I hear the most. It's one of two that I've had literal blood, sweat, and tears installing, and one of the few I've had honest to goodness incompatibilities with. What car do you drive?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Hi, it seems to install fine; tested a model at the store. I drive a 4 door Honda Accord 1996 & there seemed to be enough space btwn front seats & car seat as well as on the sides when installed RF center. We also tried it RF on the side w/ shoulder belt. My husband has an Audi A4 2001 which is a bit smaller so there may be issues there. But I plan to have it inspected if I really do end up buying it. I was told its heavier than a SnugRide but it seemed well built and had much thicker padding compared to some of the other ones which was one of my concerns while shopping around. I probably won't be carrying it around much if I do get it. I was also considering the Graco Smart Seat All in 1 (infant, convertible & booster) --- I guess its a new model / available at BrUS. But some reviews said it might not fit in smaller vehicles / might not be good for newborns... Was thinking of trying the model for that too if I get around to it. -Sam

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Like Wendy said, the handle on the Peg seat MUST be at the head of the seat.

Have you looked at the Chicco KeyFit? It installs very well and is very easy to use. The handle can be left up---as it can on many other seats. Handle can be up or down is a feature I prefer on a seat because as a new mom, I didn't need one more thing to remember to do right.

Susan

luckyclov

The Viaggio is not my favorite infant seat. In fact, it's pretty much near the bottom of my list, just over rear-adjust buckets. There are better (and less expensive) options out there for an infant seat, so, if you're open to it, I'd do a little more researching. I'd look at the Chicco Keyfit, Combi Shuttle, or Graco Snugride 32/35.

The Graco Smartseat is fairly massive. There may be space issues with installations. Also, it may not fit all newborns very well (considering the harness must be at or below the shoulders). Additionally, when it's in FF mode, in order to have the harness at proper height (at or above the shoulders), it kind of sets the headrest somewhat awkwardly. Again, not personally on my list of favorites.

Pixels

The SmartSeat absolutely does not fit newborns. I'm not even pleased with the fit on my four month old, though I suppose it's acceptable/tolerable.

As a newborn with an average torso of eight inches, the bottom slots were too high by a good inch or more, and the harness would not tighten enough. Also the harness was too far out to the edges of his shoulders. As a three month old with a ginormous torso and broad shoulders, he was finally tall enough for the harness slots, but the harness still had a tendency to go off the sides of his shoulders.

Pixels

The Viaggio is not my favorite infant seat. In fact, it's pretty much near the bottom of my list, just over rear-adjust buckets. There are better (and less expensive) options out there for an infant seat, so, if you're open to it, I'd do a little more researching. I'd look at the Chicco Keyfit, Combi Shuttle, or Graco Snugride 32/35.

The Graco Smartseat is fairly massive. There may be space issues with installations. Also, it may not fit all newborns very well (considering the harness must be at or below the shoulders). Additionally, when it's in FF mode, in order to have the harness at proper height (at or above the shoulders), it kind of sets the headrest somewhat awkwardly. Again, not personally on my list of favorites.

The harness must be below the shoulders for the SS, never at.

luckyclov

As a three month old with a ginormous torso and broad shoulders, he was finally tall enough for the harness slots, but the harness still had a tendency to go off the sides of his shoulders.
Yikes.
Makes me a little nervous that there's probably people out there using it as an infant seat.:(

ETA: Oops, thanks for the correction on the SS RF proper harness height. That makes it all the *more* inappropriate for newborns/infants.

Pixels

It's the dang required harness pads. Without them, I could get the harness tight enough even as an 8-lb noob, and I could at least see the harness placement. With them on, they are so thick that they interfered with proper placement and made it difficult to visualize exactly where they were. They are required at all times RFing, so yeah.

Phineasmama

Just remember, the fact that it's one of the most expensive infant seats out there does not make it the safest or best infant seat.

I know the Orbit Baby seat has covers that are natural/no chemicals so you might look at that if you're really concerned and have the money to spend.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC