Question for the techs about the CPST class

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Just a quick question. I start my CPST class on Wednesday. I've downloaded the manual for the class. They'll provide us with one, but I usually like to study up on things ahead of time (I think my college professors always thought I was nuts, emailing them months in advance for course syllabi so I could get my reading done over the summer). Anyway, it's a lot of pages to print out and I was just wondering how helpful it was for those of you who have taken the class to do your reading ahead of time. I especially want to know how much study time you needed to do outside of class during your course. I know my baby is going to miss me, since this will be the first time I'll be away from her for most of the day (my mom will bring her at lunch time to nurse, hopefully). So I'd rather not have to spend all evening studying... if that's how it is, I want to make sure to read through the manual this weekend to reduce my study time during the course.

Ok, so the question wasn't that quick, but I think the answers should be. Right? TIA! :D

I have a laser printer, but that's still a freakishly long document to print. :eek:

ADS

Aurezalia

Yeah, I believe the manual is several hundred pages, lol. Read it online if you REALLY want to read ahead, but lord almighty, do not print it out! :eek:

As far as needing to study the manual, or reading ahead, etc? Zilch, nada, none. In fact, I probably could have TAUGHT the class after hanging about here. :p For someone who already has the car seat basics down, I think the class is really easy. I wouldn't worry about reading ahead or studying the materials at all. I don't think I even read the manual at all. :eek:

violets_mommy

Aurezalia said:
Yeah, I believe the manual is several hundred pages, lol. Read it online if you REALLY want to read ahead, but lord almighty, do not print it out! :eek:

As far as needing to study the manual, or reading ahead, etc? Zilch, nada, none. In fact, I probably could have TAUGHT the class after hanging about here. :p For someone who already has the car seat basics down, I think the class is really easy. I wouldn't worry about reading ahead or studying the materials at all. I don't think I even read the manual at all. :eek:

This... I did read some of the manual on seat belts because I was confused about it but that was it.

I also could have taught the class. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are a few terms like "passive restraint" and "active restraint" you might want to look over; familiarize yourself with the beginning chapters; etc. Best practice and how to use and install and parts of car seats you'll already know. You might want to check out safeinthecar's excellent album with step-by-step photos of how to use a belt-shortening clip, which was one of the few things I learned at my tech course (besides that Arrowhead water is owned by Nestle and should be on my boycott list, lol.)

gsdguenter

Yup, I'll third what everyone else said. The only thing I learned that I hadn't already learned from here was the stuff about the seat belts, locking clips and belt shortening clip.

bethng

the only pre-reading I did was on this board for a few months before taking the class. I did no "homework" during the class. Didn't even open the book unless I was in class. It was pretty much everything I already knew....about 80% of it anyway. Seatbelt systems confused me a bit though....and that dang belt shortening clip! I still dont get that one...but then again I have never had to use one outside of class. I did learn some new things but it wasnt anything too difficult to remember when it came time for the test(s). But really, do your reading here on this board.... :D

CPST_Augie

CPS Technician
I also agree. I did a slight bit of reading the first night (darn seatbelt systems lol) but that's it. I didn't even really have to look at the book all during the tests. :)

smileybrea

CPS Technician
Ditto to everyone else..seatbelt systems, belt shortening clips, little stuff but I really didn't read except in class and even then, I knew just about everything. The instructors asked me to stop answering questions to give everyone else a chance to learn and answer LOL! Of course all my classmates wanted to be my partner when we were out doing checks and installs.

Briteliteus

Congrats on your class. I'm excited for you. I don't get to start mine until October :(. By the way great question, I was wondering the same thing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC