Woohoo! I kept an 18 month old from being in a Nauti!

todzwife

I was at Target today and wandered down the baby stuff isle where there was an older woman with 2 young girls (one looked to be about 10 and the other was very small). She looked totally confused and kept putting seats in her cart then taking them out again LOL!

After I had picked up the few things we needed, she was still there so I thought I'd offer some help. The baby turns 2 in November. She was looking at a Nauti:eek: There was no way she weighed more than 25 pounds.

I asked her what she was looking for, she told me she needed a seat that was light, easy to install and didn't have a buckle that had to be put together before it was put in the slot (puzzle buckle). I told her that because the baby was so young, that she was safer rear facing until at least the age of 2 (and explained why and her face was like this:eek:) She asked which seat would allow her to do that (she looked at the cute print on the crappysport with the birds). I told her that if she was on a budget that the new 40 RFing scenera was a great seat and would fit their needs (She didn't want to spend $160 on a RA or $200 on a MA, our target only has the classic seats still). She chose the scenera and thanked me over and over for my help. It's sad that people don't HAVE help when it comes to making such an important decision...sometimes I wish I could just hang out in the car seat isle giving advice, but that would be weird.:eek:

ADS

MommyShannon

That's awesome! I looked at seats in Target and they had a huge chart that supposedly helps you pick, but it really just showed minimums NOT the current recommendations. Just looking at that, I'm sure people FF at 1 still.

laudymama

Awesome!!!:)
I've been known to take a stroll down the carseat aisles at Target and BRU when I'm there just to see if anyone looks like they might need some advice :p It doesn't always go so well!

morninglori

I did the same thing last week in Target - except it was a 4.5month old, when I noticed her it looked like the baby was close to a year old. He was a BIG baby! She was looking at the nautilus, I pointed the mom over to the convertible seats instead and mentioned the recent AAP recs and the monthly carseat checks our city does.

rachelandtyke

Good job! The car seat aisle always seems to be empty when I'm there. :confused: I did help a mom and grandma with setting up and taking down a pack and play they were interested in once.

Phineasmama

Can I just say I wish they would put that cute bird print on a better seat :p
If I didn't know any better I would totally buy it :rolleyes:

amelia222

That's awesome!

I tend to linger in the carseat aisle in walmart and have given advice more than once to puzzled looking pregnant couples or grandparents.

zactayaus

Awesome job! I was wondering though, did they not have an MR there? I mean if she was looking at the Nauti the MR is a little cheaper so I would think it would have been in her price range. It also harnesses so much longer and is super easy to install RF'ing. Just wondering, that's all. You did a great job keeping her LO RF.:)

todzwife

Awesome job! I was wondering though, did they not have an MR there? I mean if she was looking at the Nauti the MR is a little cheaper so I would think it would have been in her price range. It also harnesses so much longer and is super easy to install RF'ing. Just wondering, that's all. You did a great job keeping her LO RF.:)

They had one on display but not in stock. I did tell her that it's an awesome seat, that my 5 YO loved it when she sat it in (my niece's) and It would RF a LONG time, but there wasn't one there and it was $100 more than the scenera. She said her car was a '98 so latches weren't an issue (or I would have pointed her toward a Britax because those latches are so much easier to use).

klep88

Good for you! My SIL put my nephew in a Safeseat step 2 (which was only FF) at 9 months old, and claimed her pedi told her it was ok. Um no, it's illegal no doctor would tell you that. Then she decided that seat sat up "too high" so she switched him to a Nauti as his first birthday present (he only weighed like 24 pounds at the time). It is disgusting how ignorant she is about the safety of her child. I have tried to talk to her about it, but she says that his seats are fine and I am just a fanatic!

T4K

klep88 said:
Good for you! My SIL put my nephew in a Safeseat step 2 (which was only FF) at 9 months old, and claimed her pedi told her it was ok. Um no, it's illegal no doctor would tell you that. Then she decided that seat sat up "too high" so she switched him to a Nauti as his first birthday present (he only weighed like 24 pounds at the time). It is disgusting how ignorant she is about the safety of her child. I have tried to talk to her about it, but she says that his seats are fine and I am just a fanatic!

You'd be surprised how many peds feel qualified to give out car seat advice. Mine still says it's ok to turn at 1 and 20. Gross.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC