Thought I had decided on a Frontier, but maybe ProSport??

ericsmom99

My son will be 3 in October and is pushing 40 pounds so I have decided that I'm okay (at least I think I'm okay) with turning him. I hate my Radian for a variety of reasons so I will not be using it FF. I like Britax for their customer service and ease of install so I had decided on a Frontier. But now I see the prosport. That seat looks so plush and comfy and seems to have nice features but I have never owned a recaro and there isnt a store near me that sells them. Which one would you get?

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
I have to say that I LOVE my ProSport. I know most people here wouldn't choose a ProSport over a Frontier for a variety of reasons, but after having one, I think I would.

AtTheSouthDam

I chose the Prosport over the Frontier but I will honestly say that after dealing with the Regent the idea of long belt path and short belt path scared me off.

The things I would consider between the two are how tall is your son's torso? DD2 is 5y, 44" and 41# and uses the third slot in ProSport but only used the second to the top slot in the RN (she's even now, though). The ProSport does have a shorter harness so if your son is pushing it height wise in the RN you may want he extra 2" the Frontier gives you.

At 40# you may want to consider the install method. Seatbelt install is ok with the Prosport but your child may want the foam that goes between the seat and the seat belt. A bit of an extra hassle. LATCH installation sits a bit closer to the seat.

Last would be booster use later. Routing the seatbelt is more time consuming in the Prosport because of the arm rest area. I am not bothered by it because I doubt DD2 will be buckling herself when it is time, at least another year down the road with her. Her self control is rapidly dwindling.

It is a very nice seat, very easy install and we love them enough that she rides in one in each car.

vangelder03

I have both and the frontier 85 is so much better. the pro sports are just sitting in the garage. the prosports are almost outgrown and the frontier 85 we still have loads of growing room.

christineka

I've owned both and am just not very impressed with the prosport. In addition to not being a tall seat, the harness is actually short, so your child may run out of harness before the seat is outgrown by height. My kids complained that the prosport is uncomfortable for the head because the head part doesn't come forward at all. They would lean their heads back, uncomfortably or hold their heads forward. The frontier is very comfortable. I thought it was easy to install as well.

Spam

I've had both as well. I find the frontier easy to install. The prosport as others have mentioned the belt doesn't lay flat across the seat, there isn't a "beltpath" like on other seats. I didn't find the prosport to be more plush than the frontier either. Austin was using the top slots of the prosport (he turned 3 yesterday and weighs 42lbs), he's using the fourth down from top of the frontier so we have lots of growing room. I like the cupholders. I wanted to love the prosport more, I like the look of it, the deep wings, smooth adjuster, but it just really wouldn't work for us long term. The harness is short, he had about 2" of tail left. The frontier isn't perfect, but imo it beats the prosport.

Phineasmama

I have both and I actually like my Prosport better, but you'd kind of have to find one to play with to see which one you like. It's true that the harness is shorter than the Frontier, so if your kid is really tall it might not be a good option for you. My DD is 4 1/2 and on the 3rd out of 4 harness slots on the Prosport, but she has about 1-1 1/2 inches left until she needs to move up, so I'm pretty sure it will keep her harnessed long enough. She prefers the Prosport and looks very comfortable in it, and falls asleep easily in it.

Oh and it was easier to install in my CR-V than the Frontier- I had to use the long belt path because my buckle stalks are so long and it was a real pain!!

Aurezalia

I'm using a Frontier right now and I REALLY don't like it. :eek: I hear all the time how everybody just LOVES theirs... and I don't get it. I especially hate the install. The 4yo I have riding in it even told me he liked using the FF RN better! :eek:
Anyway, I haven't had the chance to play with a Prosport yet, but I'm happily awaiting the release of the Graco Argos. :p

ericsmom99

Now I'm more undecided than ever!! If you do a seatbelt install can the seatbelt go under the padding or does it sit on top of it? I looked at the manual online and I couldn't tell. My son is a pretty big kid so the harness length is a consideration for sure (although it would give me an excuse to buy another seat down the road!!) I don't have a store nearby that has either of these so I'm going to look at them both again online now. Thanks!!!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I chose the ProSport over the Frontier, mostly because the Frontier doesn't fit in my car. I love it. Even DD1 has growing room in the PS.

scariestone

Does your son have a thick neck? The problem we had with the frontier is that the straps are way too narrow set for a seat that's supposed to be for big kids. DS was 2.5 when he used it and the straps dug into his neck horribly. The 2 inch long harness pads are useless and just move out of place. My easy going kid was clawing at his neck and screaming to get out of his seat. We have a nautilus for when he's done RF and for the rare occasion he rides in someone else's car. Its a non mesh cover so its nice a plush.

ericsmom99

Does your son have a thick neck? The problem we had with the frontier is that the straps are way too narrow set for a seat that's supposed to be for big kids. DS was 2.5 when he used it and the straps dug into his neck horribly. The 2 inch long harness pads are useless and just move out of place. My easy going kid was clawing at his neck and screaming to get out of his seat. We have a nautilus for when he's done RF and for the rare occasion he rides in someone else's car. Its a non mesh cover so its nice a plush.

That is the one thing that I hate about the MA 70 is that it leaves terrible red marks on his neck. I figured the frontier would be a little farther apart, thats kind of a bummer.

jess71903

Ambassador
Want some pics?

The top slots are at about 18.5", which is plenty for us. I remember people talking about how the 20" Regent top slots were overkill for most kids, and it would be for mine, so I don't need the top slots on the Frontier. Gage is using the next to top now, but just barely. He's just over the 3rd slots down. It's nice, though, because the butt pad thing takes up some space, so the slots aren't crazy above his shoulders.

CIMG3070.jpg

CIMG3069.jpg

CIMG3113.jpg

jsta1005

I recently chose a Frontier 85 over a Prosport. I hadn't seen either seat IRL so I was going off pictures and things I had heard from people on here. I chose the FR85 because of the taller harness and because of the weird seatbelt issue with the PS. I :love: my FR85!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC