Fisher-Price Safety Voyage, Radian 65, or Safety 1st/Apex

U

Unregistered

I have been reading all of your posts for the last couple months... but I am yet to come to a decision.. My son is 3 yrs. 5 mos; 39 inches; and 40 lbs. Last month I bought the Safety 1st Signature Biltmore seat, which at first I liked, but I continue to dislike it a little more every day. First, the crotch strap is WAY too short... I had to take off the seat padding in order to strap him in without hurting him. Second, it is just so BIG, which I can't really complain, because I have a big kid, and he fits in it (besides the crotch strap issue). Anyway, we need a second seat anyway (for dh car) but if I can find a seat I like better I will move the Safety 1st to dh car and put the new one in mine (ds is in my car 90% of the time). I was looking into the FPSV and the Radian 65 (I considered the Britax Regent, but with the FP seat being made by Britax, I can't see spending the extra $$) So, as you can see from his measurements I have a good size child, (not chunky, just solid!) and I am worried that his butt won't fit into the seat, or if he fits now, he won't fit in it a year from now. BUT, since the FP only goes to 55 lbs, how long do you think I have before ds reaches that weight? So, I apologize for the rambling, basically I need to know the best seat for my "solid" child that will last us until he is ready for a seat-belt booster... Thank you for any help!! Oh, if it makes a difference, I drive a 2007 Jeep Wrangler (4-door).

Crystal

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Regent is a MUCH larger seat than the FP, it costs more, but he would fit in it for many years longer than the FP. He'll probably outgrow the FP in a year, but the Regent in like 4 years (the weight isn't as important as the top slot height...the FP is the same, about, as the Safety First you have, but the Regent is like 4 inches taller).

I know it's spendy, but it's definitely the seat you want to go with :)

geckoed

The regent costs more, but will last YEARS longer. My 9yr old, who is far from small (75% for both height and weight) can fit in it easily. The Radian, despite measuring the same, can be (just barely) used by my DD but the FP and Apex can't. Still, I have to say if you're buying a seat buy the Regent. I sold things to afford it and I have NO regrets. I only wish I had a van big enough for 4 regents and a blvd...

ajnashmom

My two and a half year old Daughter has the FPSVD and I LOVE the seat but she is 36# and 36 inches and her torso is 14 and 3/4 inches. She is already at the top slot on the FPSVD. I am thinking in less than a year I will have to move her to a new seat. :( I have only had the FPSVD for a few months.

I have a Regent for my 6 year old son and he has plenty of room to go. Anyway what I am getting at is that I wish I would have got two regents instead of trying to save money, it really would have paid off.

I bet you will love either seat, but for sure check torso length... I learned the hard way on that.

scatterbunny

Without reading any other posts:

My daughter was the exact same size as your son at the exact same age (actually, she was an inch taller and one pound less at 3 years, 4 months--just looked it up :p ).

She would have outgrown a Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe by height at her 5th birthday, at about 46 inches tall and 46 pounds (her weight has slowed down, her height growth stayed the same).

She outgrew an Apex somewhere around 5-5.5, at about 47-48 inches tall (I tried her in one at about 5 years, 9 months--about 2 months ago--and she was over the top slots by a bit).

I think she would just now be at the top slots of a Radian, at two weeks shy of her 6th birthday, 49 inches tall and 51 pounds. I can't be certain she's at the top slots, I haven't sat her in one to see, but based on how she fits other seats, it seems about right.

In a Regent she still has at least two years to go. She recently moved into the top set of slots, but is probably still technically even with the second-to-top slots.

Most seats are outgrown by height before weight. It's pretty rare for a seat to have top slots tall enough to get a kid to the full harnessed weight limit.

The Regent isn't any larger than the Apex, size-wise, but it has much, much more harnessing capacity (probably 3 years more). Since you're already used to the Apex's size, I'd say definitely go for the Regent. I think at your son's size the FPSVD might be too cramped and might sit too high up (harder to climb into/out of than a seat that does not sit up on a base). The Radian is a nice seat because it sits low, has higher top slots than the FPSVD and Apex, but it can be difficult to install and has other quirks, like a harness that is bolted to the frame (can't remove it to clean).

Here's a pic of my dd in the Husky (same as Regent) at 3 years, 4 months, 41 inches and 39 pounds:

She had just been moved up to the second-to-top slots and had a fairly long torso for her overall height.
6.jpg

trailrunnermom

IFirst, the crotch strap is WAY too short... I had to take off the seat padding in order to strap him in without hurting him.

I read in a comment on Amazon.com that someone called Cosco about this, and Cosco replied that this summer they're going to begin making the Apex with a longer crotch strap. Maybe try calling Cosco to see if they will send you (free, I hope!) a replacement crotch strap? Then you could at least continue using the Apex as your spare seat, if you get a different brand for the main seat.

C

crysdez

Thank you everyone!

Everyone,
Thank you so much for all your help... You have made this decision much easier for me... I guess we will be headed to Babies R Us to buy a Regent this weekend :D ... I will keep you all updated on how it goes, thanks again!

Crystal and Connor (who will be getting a new carseat very soon!! :cool: )

floalways

months of research and found one, but $$$ is an issue

I'm new here, but have been reading posts for a while now. You ladies have been very helpful to me. I have 3 kids and was looking only for my youngest who is 19 months. I came across the Kyle David site and wanted to put all of my kids in 5 point harnesses. I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 7 year old. My boys are big, but the baby girl is a little bit. My husband doesn't want to spend the money on a regent which I think is best for my boys since they're big. The 3 year old is 40.5lbs. and 42 1/2" and the 7 year old is 65lbs and 53inches tall. Do you think it's worth getting the regent for my oldest. I am no where near stores I am a military spouse and we're overseas so there is no stores to test carseats. I am a online shopper, not by choice.
Am I crazy for wanting my oldest in a regent? Should I just settle and get the regent for my middle child and let the oldest stay in the Graco booster? I need some advice please.
I ended up getting the scenera for my baby girl and I have to wait for it to come in the mail.
I also have a Honda Odyssey, does anyone recommend using the plus one seat for the scenera with the regents on the sides of it.
I've been researching for months and finally settled on one for my daugher, but now I want the regents and my dh isn't feeling the costs. It gave in and said it's ok for the 3yo, but he doesn't want to budge when it comes to getting the regent for our oldest.

I don't know what to do I'm open to all comments.

Ms. Safety

trailrunnermom

Re: months of research and found one, but $$$ is an issue

I'm new here, but have been reading posts for a while now. You ladies have been very helpful to me. I have 3 kids and was looking only for my youngest who is 19 months. I came across the Kyle David site and wanted to put all of my kids in 5 point harnesses. I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 7 year old. My boys are big, but the baby girl is a little bit. My husband doesn't want to spend the money on a regent which I think is best for my boys since they're big. The 3 year old is 40.5lbs. and 42 1/2" and the 7 year old is 65lbs and 53inches tall. Do you think it's worth getting the regent for my oldest. I am no where near stores I am a military spouse and we're overseas so there is no stores to test carseats. I am a online shopper, not by choice.
Am I crazy for wanting my oldest in a regent? Should I just settle and get the regent for my middle child and let the oldest stay in the Graco booster? I need some advice please.
I ended up getting the scenera for my baby girl and I have to wait for it to come in the mail.
I also have a Honda Odyssey, does anyone recommend using the plus one seat for the scenera with the regents on the sides of it.
I've been researching for months and finally settled on one for my daugher, but now I want the regents and my dh isn't feeling the costs. It gave in and said it's ok for the 3yo, but he doesn't want to budge when it comes to getting the regent for our oldest.

I don't know what to do I'm open to all comments.

Ms. Safety

I haven't been able to get a good install with a rear-facing carseat in the Honda Plus One seat in my Odyssey (and it doesn't have a top tether hook, so it's not okay for a FF carseat. Maybe a narrow booster might fit there.) (In this respect, I think the Toyota Sienna does a better job allowing 3-across the middle row.)

I have the two captain's chair together in the middle, with a Husky (earlier Regent model) behind the driver, and a rear-facing convertible seat in the other captain's chair. It's easy to access the 3rd row this way -- your oldest could ride in a booster 3rd row passenger side (or a Regent, if you get one). (Or the middle child could ride in his Regent in the 3rd row outboard passenger side, and the oldest could ride in a booster in the captain's chair next to the baby, if that works better.)

I think your oldest would still fit in a Regent, but at that size and age (if it were me making the decision), I would be okay with a good belt-positioning high-back booster. If you're taking a lot of long trips and he sleeps in the car, then it might be worth getting the Regent, as it keeps the child in position better when they're sleeping (and looks a lot more comfy than sleeping in a booster!)

Be sure to read the discussions about the new installation rules for Regents. There are also threads on which cars/seating positions people have/have not been able to get a good install under the new guidelines.

Also, Recaro is coming out with the "Como" in August which harnesses to 70 lbs. I have no experience with this seat, but it looks like an alternative to the Regent for about the same price ($250). And there's always the Cosco (aka Safety 1st) Apex65, which is very affordable at $130, or the new Triumph Advance from Babies R Us or Wal-mart, which would work for either your 19-mo-old or 3-y.o.
HTH! :)

LuvMyGirls

Scatterbunny,
Hayley is tall! Where do you find jeans to fit her? My Kaylan has always been tall and thin, but she was the same 46# 46" at her 6 year old checkup as Hayley was at 5. I see that Hayley is now 6 years old and 51# 49". Kaylan was 52# 48 1/4" at 7. They are right at 3 years apart too since Kaylan's birthday is June 11, 1998.

bombedier

Senior Community Member
floalways - I think we discussed over email (this is Laura from KDM foundation) - definitely a Regent for your 4 year old. Regent for your 6 year old would be safer, but you have to work on Daddy.

scatterbunny

Scatterbunny,
Hayley is tall! Where do you find jeans to fit her? My Kaylan has always been tall and thin, but she was the same 46# 46" at her 6 year old checkup as Hayley was at 5. I see that Hayley is now 6 years old and 51# 49". Kaylan was 52# 48 1/4" at 7. They are right at 3 years apart too since Kaylan's birthday is June 11, 1998.

LOL--jeans are a problem! The best-fitting ones I've found are Gap Slim, but by their size chart's height and weights, she's too chunky for Slim (yeah, right). But Gap 8 Slim fit her very well. It's a hit-or-a-miss with other brands. Wal-Mart's Faded Glory Slims are a joke; even on the tightest setting they are too loose. The two pair she has now are just starting to fit in the waist and they're a good two inches too short. :rolleyes: Most of the time we just have to buy them to fit the leg length and hope they aren't too big in the waist; she wears belts quite often, but hates them. When she was all torso with short little legs, it was easy, because I could buy jeans that fit in the waist and they weren't too short; now that she's all legs, it's difficult.

LuvMyGirls

I love the adjustable waist at GAP. Their slims have always fit Kaylan well with the waist tightened up. We also had good luck with J. C. Penney's slim fits before she was big enough for GAP slims. GAP used to start slim sizes at 5. Now they have toddler slims! Of course shorts are not a problem. She can wear the same ones for years. Meredith is a bit shorter so I hope she'll be easier to fit.

Sorry, folks. I know we are waaayyyy off topic!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC