Poor head control and aspiration

jess71903

Ambassador
Gage's PT sent me a FB message the other day asking about options for a kid she sees. This is what she has told me:

ey, Jessica! I have a special needs kiddo that is choking when riding in his standard car seat. He is less than 1 year old and chunky but short trunk, etc. Any recommendations as to which car seat might meet his needs?
I asked for more info and got:

He is a baby (7-8 months) with spina bifida. Decreased head and trunk control currently but is choking/aspirating on saliva/fluids when riding in car seat-does have dysphagia which they thicken liquids for already. Don't think we can safely place in convertible more upright secondary to headcontrol.

Any ideas? My first thought is the MyRide and get it as upright as we can, little by little, to where he can tolerate it.

ADS

Shaunam

I don't know how it works for other kids, but angle has nothing to do with if Charlie chokes/aspirates or not. The only thing that actually keeps her from choking is side-lying, which you can't do in the car. I would definitely try different angles to see if it helps. But for us...I just listen to her and pull over if I need to.

jess71903

Ambassador
Shauna- you were exactly the one I was hoping would reply. I was thinking that there wouldn't be an angle upright enough on a RF seat to actually help, but I thought I'd see if there was anything to be done about it.

Shaunam

If being upright DOES help, I'd go 30 degrees and get him a neck collar. I don't know if they make them for babies that little though. Positioning can help some when it comes to aspiration, but a swallowing problem is a swallowing problem. If spit gets in the airway, it doesn't matter much if you are at 45* or 30* KWIM?

Murphy's Law

I'd try a car bed. Merritt makes one called Hope, I believe. If he used it lying on his back, with his head turned to the side so that secretions can drain out, that should work. I deal with a lot of kids who have spinal muscular atrophy and they too choke on secretions. They have done well with this car bed. The only interference is that he likely is able to move his head, whereas the kids with SMA aren't. So he may set himself up to be in a position where he could choke anyway.

jess71903

Ambassador
Just wanted to update. I got to meet and eat lunch with Mom and baby yesterday. She said that they did get a convertible (got interrupted by kids so I don't know what) and it did help. He still chokes a bit, but not nearly as much.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC