Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Anyone have experience with a 2009 Dodge Journey?

We just bought this car/SUV. We have a 3.5 yr old, and a 19 mth old both RFing in Radian XTSL outboard using LATCH. Both are VERY secure...you can rock the car when you rock the seat.

I would like to move my 19 mth old into the middle for a few days as we need to use the 3rd row for family (you can get back there by folding up the seat behind the driver). I tried to install her seat using the seatbelt (no latch) this morning, and it was NOT a good install. There are 2 plastic things that connect to the armrest that lowers between the seats, and it seemed like they were in the way of the boot. Back to outboard she went. Anyone ever do this?

My only other thing would be to FF my 3.5 yr old in the middle as I would thin that would work since no boot or anything to deal with....I really do not want to do that though. Even though it is only for a day or two.

Any suggestions from anyone with experience here? TIA!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Re: Anyone have experience with a 2009 Dodge Journey?

Hi, Welcome to car-seat.org. Hopefully we can help you with all your questions.

The first thing you could try is moving the boot back on the seat so that it sits just in front of the hinges and apply lots of pressure straight down as you tighten the seat belt. This will result in a very upright install if it works, so it might be more comfortable for the 3yo than the 19mo.

I would also highly recommend that you consider putting the children in the third row if the family riding with you is adults. Adults don't fit well (not enough leg room and head restraints too short to effectively prevent whiplash), in third rows because they are usually much smaller than the second row.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Here's the answer, unfortunately it ended up being 'reported' rather than 'replied to' and I'm not sure how to make it look like the OP posted it!

"Thank you for your answer. I was thinking about the 3rd row being small for the adults. I can't put a Radian RFing in there. I could put her FFing in the 3rd row though. (I hate to FF her, but she is that way in my DH's car as her extra seat does not install well RFing in his truck and she is very near the weight limit of it. She only rides in there a couple of times a month at best).

I will try what you suggested tonight. I thought I did that earlier, as I have installed the seats as far upright as I could get them (pulled away from seat crack and then stood on them to tighten belt...lol.) but I eill try again.

If I can get it into the middle seat, then the 40 part of the 60/40 bench seat can be moved forward to make more leg room in the 3rd row. We aren't a terribly tall family. Haha.

Or I just let my dad drive, mom in shotgun, and I just sit in between the girls....problem solved. "
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Thanks Julie. I don't know why it ended up that way????

Anyway...we tried to install the Radian in the middle and it just was funky. I swear when I did it yesterday you could get the 40 part of the. Bench folded down to get into the rear! Hubby couldn't though. And i did not feel like redoing her straps so that she could sit FF in the 3rd row. My dad drove us and I crawled over the car seats and sat in the middle of the 2nd row. LOL. At least I am still flexible enough to do that.

I guess when ever we FF my 3.5 yr old she can be in the middle so you can sit on behind the driver. With that in mind, when are you all comfortable FFing your children? She is about 31 lbs, 37 inches tall. Her bday is in Feb, so not quite 3.5 yet. She hasn't asked or anything, but she does ride FF in DH's truck ( as of last week...it's very new to her) as the extra seat in there is a terrible RFing install. I figured it was safer in a secure install FF than a bad install RF.....

Pardon the typos....this iPad is a b**ch to type on sometimes!