Questions about multi tech

I am 6' and DH is 6'6". I am pregnant with our first bio baby (my 2 kids are adopted), and I'm of course already thinking about carseats.
We have a brand spanking new onboard 35 infant seat that I bought for fostering, so the baby will ride in that for at least a few months.

My question is - I really want to RF til 4ish. I'm pretty sure our child will be huge, although DH is the tallest one in his family.

At what point would you import a multi tech? Part of me wants to do it right after I'm sick of lugging the baby around in the infant seat (provided he/she meets the minimum weight), because I would get the most usage out of it. But, part of me thinks it might be wiser to wait, and see if there is any chance the baby can RF until 4ish in one of the radians we have.
One option involved spending, what, $600, on a seat that we will probably need, but there is (maybe?) a small chance we might not?
The other option involves spending that money on a seat that might only be used for a year or so.

WWYD?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd wait until baby is outgrowing the Radians, or whatever seats there are on the US market then. You can always sell the Radian to help fund the imported seat.

Wendy

jenfrogmom

Congrats! I have a MT for my 16 month old, I know we make big children, so I bought it early to get full use out of it. That is just me, though. :)
ETA: I also love that my 4 year old can rf in it if we choose to do so. It would not fit a child under 9 months. I wouldn't buy it ahead of time.

Last edited:

momtotwogirls

I would wait. We are big people as well, Im 5'11" hubby is 6'2" and all my brothers are 6'4"-6'7" and my oldest is 4 and coming in at 42in still fits in the True fit(34lbs) and the CA and would likely fit in the Radian as well. My youngest is about the size my 4 yr old was at 3 and she is 2(wow thats a confusing sentence) but she will make it to 4 likely in the True Fit, cA and a radian if i ever get one.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't consider an imported seat until the kid is close to outgrowing what's on the US market. (Right now, that's the Radians. Who knows what will be out in another 3 years, though...)

KaiLing

I don't think the multi tech fits until 9 months or so: doesn't the kid have to be a confident sitter? I don't have my manual here: we're traveling. So even if you bought right when new baby can sit in it you've got a while. And for my family, the infant seat wouldn't get us to 9 months. We are 5'9" and 6'9" with a kid who outgrew the bucket before 4 months (22 lbs snugride). I sort of wish I had known we were headed down the importing seat road earlier, but I don't see how we could have known, and I do like having the radian.

Not helpful, but that's our convoluted giant person multi tech story.

Ninetales

I wouldn't personally import until there were no other options on the US market. Who knows what will be available years from now? I think importing should be more of a last resort.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC