Little People, Big World

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
There was a rerun on tonight of the episode where the family is driving down to Oakland for Zach's surgery. Did anyone watch it and see what they did to the seats in their van? They took out the back seat & turned one around, so one is facing sideways and one is backwards :eek:. Then they showed the kids getting out and one of them was laying down asleep with no seatbelt on.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I can't watch that show anymore. Mostly because their house is such a wreck it stresses me out, the other parts because of their car safety habits, or lack thereof.

Wendy

scatterbunny

I have only seen a few minutes of one episode because we don't have cable, no car scenes. I think they are from my state (OR)? My mom says she watches the show all the time.

I'm sure it's hard to appropriately restrain little people; still, it's wrong to promote such blatant disregard for safety, such as laying down, no seatbelt, in a moving vehicle. :(

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I got tired of seeing the kids sleeping on beds with no sheets.

In what world is that okay? Ewwwwww

Oh, and we don't have cable anymore.

scatterbunny

We do it once in a great while because we only own one pair of sheets for each bed and sometimes I forget to wash before bedtime. :eek: But on a regular basis, no way.

LuvBug

man I want to get rid of cable! but its not my choice. We have come to an agreement that all TVs downstairs will no longer have cable attached(which means only my brothers room, moms room, and my room will have cable attached). I hardly watch it, ALL the shows I like are available online now, so I catch them when DS is in the bed!

Anyway I cant watch that show, this house is chaotic enough without watching someone elses house be chaotic(I cant watch any reality TV, all reality is chaotic lol!)

LuvBug

We do it once in a great while because we only own one pair of sheets for each bed and sometimes I forget to wash before bedtime. :eek: But on a regular basis, no way.

it weirds me out to sleep on a bed with no sheets! but there has been that time or 2 when we had an accident or something and had nothing to put on it... those times Ive gone to the trouble to pull out old recieving blankets and lay them across the bed, I hate it that much! lol!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'm sure it's hard to appropriately restrain little people; still, it's wrong to promote such blatant disregard for safety, such as laying down, no seatbelt, in a moving vehicle. :(

I definitely agree, but Zach (the little person) was in the front seat, and the 2 kids in the backwards- and sideways seats were the 2 kids of normal height. So there really was no excuse. I'm just trying to figure out how they thought that was a good/safe idea :confused:

And no sheets? eeeewwwwww!

scatterbunny

LOL--yes, even when we sleep on a bed with no sheets, I lay down another blanket first, so I guess we aren't sleeping right ON the mattress with no sheet.

I didn't realize it was the normal height kids inappropriately restrained. Ugh. :(

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Well, there are times when everyone has to sleep without sheets. Most people lay a blanket or something down. Tonight, we're sleeping on our down mattress cover, because ds2 ripped his diaper off and then (while laughing) peed all over my bed.

But I don't think I've ever seen sheets on their beds. Ever. And that is gross.

MsFacetious

I watch this show a lot. I'm pretty into ANY show that shows people with differences living normal lives. So I take what I can get.

Oddly enough, I was thinking today about little people and how to appropriately restrain them in the car. Was wondering if they should be required to be in boosters forever, ect.

The Dad bugs me too, but I will watch the show occasionally when I can't sleep or something. Like I said, it's someone with a "different ability" who is being portrayed positively... so, I'll take it unless something better comes along!

And yes, they have several acres up in Oregon :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I watch this show a lot. I'm pretty into ANY show that shows people with differences living normal lives. So I take what I can get.

Oddly enough, I was thinking today about little people and how to appropriately restrain them in the car. Was wondering if they should be required to be in boosters forever, ect.

The Dad bugs me too, but I will watch the show occasionally when I can't sleep or something. Like I said, it's someone with a "different ability" who is being portrayed positively... so, I'll take it unless something better comes along!

And yes, they have several acres up in Oregon :)

I was talking about them to a mom at a car seat clinic today. We both had the same question!

About the sheets, my son does not want them on his bed, period.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
LOL--yes, even when we sleep on a bed with no sheets, I lay down another blanket first, so I guess we aren't sleeping right ON the mattress with no sheet.

I didn't realize it was the normal height kids inappropriately restrained. Ugh. :(

It's everyone not being restrained properly. The kids, the little people adults. Sometimes it's not being buckled at all, sometimes the seatbelt is in a random place, behind them or under an arm or something. Even the youngest, he was eight or nine when it started, he'd ride up front unrestrained. Sometimes they'd have their seatbelts on, sometimes not, sometimes wrong. I never saw a pattern.

Wendy

scatterbunny

Gah, that is horrible. :( You'd think being on national TV they could get in some kind of trouble for that. It's against the law!

LeeLi

The lack of car safety on that show drives me nuts. I knew a quite small little person awhile back that did use a booster seat in her car, and I think the little people big world LPs should too.
But I actually like the show otherwise, I actually think it's nice to see a family on TV that doesn't have a perfect house. They do some pretty cool things with their lives, who cares what their house looks like? But I maybe a little biased because they live within walking distance of my house and I'm endlessly amused by seeing my "neighborhood"(if you can call a bunch of farms a neighborhood) on TV. I've even seen them in the grocery store a couple of times...

MsFacetious

Ok, talk about weird.
Tonight would be the night I couldn't sleep and it's on. Lol.
I've never noticed the sheets thing so I'm watching for that.

I would kill to live on several acres in the middle of nowhere. People and I don't get along very well ;)

MsFacetious

Oh yeah, it's a huge storm and the power just went out so let's go OUTSIDE?!!!

Dude, seriously freaking insane. Have you ever heard of lightning and debri flying everywhere??? Lol... okay then!

Ironically we actually have a huge storm coming here too tomorrow. Yay I love storms!!! :)

Kellyr2

We LOVE the show. But the carseat stuff bugs me. I noticed last week how they had the back seats arranged and thought that couldn't possibly be right. But then to top it off they weren't even buckled. Then on the one this week, Zack was indeed riding in the back unrestrained, but then, he had a cast on his leg, so riding properly facing forward in the seat might not have worked well (which means maybe find another solution?)
So yeah, the safety stuff bugs me. And the dad annoys me sometimes too. He's just such a dork, and then last night, asking the doc detailed questions about what tools he'd use, right in front of Zack, as they're wheeling him off to surgery? Dude! Pick a better time so as to not freak out your kid!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I recorded the show on the DVR last night and haven't watched it yet. I've noticed the lackadaisical seatbelt usage on previous episodes and will have to take some deep breaths to watch side facing vehicle seats, thanks for the warning. ;)

My house is far from Martha Stewartish perfection but there's a limit to how much chaos I can tolerate. There was an episode last season where the dad hired a professional organizer to set up their pantry and laundry room in a more user friendly and storage friendly fashion for the family (it was a Mother's Day gift IIRC). I saw a glimpse of the laundry room on the show that aired a week or two ago, and it appeared to have reverted back to the chaotic state. Whatever works for them, just buckle up and use the seatbelts and seating in your vehicles properly and safely, please. :twocents: A messy house probably won't harm anyone (barring slipping and falling on the debris field on the floor :rolleyes:) but not using your seatbelts properly can kill you and/or your kids. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC