Question Need 3 across and Radian install help!

kittykate

Sometime in the next few weeks we need to figure out how to get three across the back of my husband's '05 Hyundai Elantra.

I've already checked the 3 across thread and the Radian thread, but for whatever reason, nothing we have tried is even near working. :(

The first problem we are having is getting the Radians in FF with the seatbelt. Per the Radian successful install thread, this should be doable with 2-3 twists of the belt stock. We've tried this and while the seat is tight side to side, it easily moves 2-3 inches to the front at the belt path.

The other problem is that even if we could get a Radian installed FF with a seatbelt, we have yet to find a combo of seats that puzzles across the back seat due to the side bolsters.

The seats we have available are Radian 80 (33lb rf), Radian 80SL, Roundabout 50, Scenera (35lb rf), True Fit Premiere and a Keyfit 30.

The children involved are O (5 years, 38 lbs, 47 inches), J (3.75 years, 32 lbs, 41 inches and H, a yet to be met newborn due in August.

The combos we have tried that do not work:
(Keyfit was tried with and without the base in all listed positions)

Driver/Center/Passenger

FF Radian/Keyfit/ FF Radian
FF Radian/ Keyfit/ FF Roundabout
FF Radian/RF Radian/ FF Roundabout
FF Radian/ RF Radian/ Keyfit

I plan on trying out combos with the Scenera tonight.

Are there any combos that should work better than others? Is there a narrow HBB that might work for the 5 year old? (The boys will only be in this car 1-2 times a week for a 1.3 mile drive through a subdivision where the speed limit never exceeds 25 MPH...)

Any help/ideas would be appreciated!

ADS

2nd

I am not familiar with your car; however, I have a 02 Grand Am and put 3 kids in the backseat. I had similar ages.

The seats that worked-
Snugride, Radian, Graco Turbo Booster, Recaro Vivo, or Britax Parkway
Radian, Radian, Graco Turbo Booster, Recaro Vivo, or Britax Parkway

The newer Vivo's look bigger online. I wonder if the size since 2 yrs ago?

Radians are going to be your slimest seat. When I did my research 2 yrs ago the 3 boosters I listed were the slimest. You would have to check stats on the models now. It is annoying b/c you have to scoot the booster out and push it back to buckle it every time b/c its a really tight fit. However, its do-able.

There is a way!!! You just have to find the right combo-Good luck!!! It drove me nuts.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The first problem we are having is getting the Radians in FF with the seatbelt. Per the Radian successful install thread, this should be doable with 2-3 twists of the belt stock. We've tried this and while the seat is tight side to side, it easily moves 2-3 inches to the front at the belt path.

Not sure about your other questions, but the fix for this is to pay attention to where it slides forward to, and then start your install with the base in that position. Then when you install it, only compress the carseat straight down, don't try to shove it back. The seatbelt tightening will pull most of the carseat back, you should just end up with a small gap near the bight, which is fine. And it should stay put this way! :)

Also, don't be afraid to off-center the seats and install them in front of the side bolsters. Sometimes it's possible to compress them enough for an acceptable install; I've had to do this in my dh's car.

jjordan

Your situation sounds a lot like mine except that my middle child is about a year younger than yours. A few questions for you...

Is the Radian incompatible FF in all seating positions?

Does the Radian fit RF in all seating positions?

What is your budget for new seats?

kittykate

Not sure about your other questions, but the fix for this is to pay attention to where it slides forward to, and then start your install with the base in that position. Then when you install it, only compress the carseat straight down, don't try to shove it back. The seatbelt tightening will pull most of the carseat back, you should just end up with a small gap near the bight, which is fine. And it should stay put this way! :)

Also, don't be afraid to off-center the seats and install them in front of the side bolsters. Sometimes it's possible to compress them enough for an acceptable install; I've had to do this in my dh's car.

Defrost, thank you so much. Your tip worked and we were able to get the radians in FF behind the driver and in the center. For the baby we were able to fit the Scenera rfing behind the passenger :thumbsup: It is very tight but they are all acceptably installed and independently tight.

My only question now is the Scenera is ever so slightly crooked due to the seat bolster...is this okay or do I need to go out and try to even it up?

Aurezalia

The Elanta is evil. EEEEEVVIIL. :p

Glad you got the Radians in FF. IME, I've not been able to get many seats back there in a 3-across. I repeat, evil!

Are the seats pressing against the doors? (You said the Scenera was crooked because of the bolsters - is it touching?)
Honestly, I think getting a 3rd RN is so worth the money. You'll be able to do FF RN/ RF RN/ FF RN easily, and not having to muck about with seats would be worth the money, to me.
Although, I'm thinking 2 RN's and the KF30 could work. The KF played pretty well next to a FF RN for me.

kittykate

The Elanta is evil. EEEEEVVIIL. :p

Glad you got the Radians in FF. IME, I've not been able to get many seats back there in a 3-across. I repeat, evil!

Are the seats pressing against the doors? (You said the Scenera was crooked because of the bolsters - is it touching?)
Honestly, I think getting a 3rd RN is so worth the money. You'll be able to do FF RN/ RF RN/ FF RN easily, and not having to muck about with seats would be worth the money, to me.
Although, I'm thinking 2 RN's and the KF30 could work. The KF played pretty well next to a FF RN for me.

Nope, nothing is touching the doors, the bolsters completely prevent that. There is at least 1/2 clearance between the seat and the door on each side.

I'm 99% sure the Keyfit would work baseless as well. There was plenty of room for it but DH decided that he would rather have a permanently installed seat than mess with installing the Keyfit with 3 cranky kids in the car 1-2x a week. (He'll just pick up the bucket from the sitter and install it (babyless of course) in the front seat for the drive home.)

As to getting another Radian, I would love too, but O is insanely tall and only has 3/4 inches of torso growth in the Radian as is. There is no way I can justify another Radian when I know that he will probably be too tall for his by the end of next summer :twocents: (I'm just hoping to be able to find a tall and narrow booster at that point.)

gsdguenter

I'm confused because I think it's easy to do 3 across in my Elantra. I think it's wicked easy to install seats, especially the RN in it :confused::confused:

I have a 2010 so maybe the side bolsters have been changed :confused: I don't see them as going up that high.

Maybe I'm just weird though, that's totally a possibility :p

I did have to do the same thing Defrost said though to get rid of the front/back movement on the ff RN. I do rf RN, ff RN, and rf RN in my Elantra very easily quite often.

Anyway, glad you figured it out :)

Aurezalia

Nope, nothing is touching the doors, the bolsters completely prevent that. There is at least 1/2 clearance between the seat and the door on each side.

I'm 99% sure the Keyfit would work baseless as well. There was plenty of room for it but DH decided that he would rather have a permanently installed seat than mess with installing the Keyfit with 3 cranky kids in the car 1-2x a week. (He'll just pick up the bucket from the sitter and install it (babyless of course) in the front seat for the drive home.)

As to getting another Radian, I would love too, but O is insanely tall and only has 3/4 inches of torso growth in the Radian as is. There is no way I can justify another Radian when I know that he will probably be too tall for his by the end of next summer :twocents: (I'm just hoping to be able to find a tall and narrow booster at that point.)

Ahahaha. Somehow I managed to confuse myself with the SEAT bolsters and the DOOR bolsters. :ROTFLMAO: I know what you're talking about now. Yes, those bolsters make everything difficult by eating up so much space! Slightly crooked is fine - in fact, I'm pretty sure that's the only way things will work. :p
Did you try the KF in it already? I'm actually thinking that I *may* have been able to (This was over a year ago, so don't hold me to this!) Get in a RF RN, FF RN, and a KF30 WITH the base. If he'd rather have an infant seat than a convertible for the baby, it might be worth a try. It plays well next to a FF RN, not so much next to the RF one, which it looks like you did try.

I'm confused because I think it's easy to do 3 across in my Elantra. I think it's wicked easy to install seats, especially the RN in it :confused::confused:

I have a 2010 so maybe the side bolsters have been changed :confused: I don't see them as going up that high.

Maybe I'm just weird though, that's totally a possibility :p

I did have to do the same thing Defrost said though to get rid of the front/back movement on the ff RN. I do rf RN, ff RN, and rf RN in my Elantra very easily quite often.

Anyway, glad you figured it out :)

Yeah, the interior is quite different on the newer models. :) The older ones are the DEBIL. The newer ones are more spacious - not by much, but it's definitely there. I couldn't even do RF RN, RF MR, RF RN - I was hoping the puzzling would be enough, but no. :( And you got a RN, MR, and a MT in your car, right? No way would that happen in an older model! :thumbsdown:

gsdguenter

Okay, I went out to double check my 3 across and met success again! The 2010 must be a lot bigger. I was able to get MT/ff RNXTSL/rf MR.

All were independent installs. I took out the RN at the end to make sure and was actually pleasantly surprised that they MT and MR were in solidly with less than 1 inch movement at belt path. The MT didn't move and the MR moved about 1/2 in at most.

Here are some pictures for your viewing enjoyment lol :)

All were seat belt installs and I didn't top tether the RN simply because I knew I was just playing around. Also, what good about the MR is that the cup holders are so high u they go right over the arm rest on the door and thus don't interfere :)

The last picture is how much space was left at the end when I pulled out the RN to check the MR and MT again.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC