How long before needing a new car seat...

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How long beforehand do you start trying to decide what seat to buy?

I've been obsessing for weeks about whether to get dd a combo seat and move ds to her MA when he outgrows the SS1, or hope and pray that the triumph becomes available with the higher harness slots... or get a radian?

I feel a bit silly trying to figure it all out right now though given that I still have a good amount of time and will know better what's available.

Anyone else spend this much time trying to decide on new seats? My dh just writes me off as being obsessed. Maybe I am..lol. Anyone else in the same club? :cool:

ADS

scatterbunny

Hehe--it took me 4ish months to decide what to get Hayley when she was outgrowing her Alpha Omega. :p I could not decide between something cheap like the Nania Airway (discontinued), or the Marathon or the Husky. We ended up with an Airway and a month later got a Husky. :rolleyes:

broken4u05

i think about what seats i will get when i have kids and i am not even close to having a baby. O and i think a lot about it with the kids i have in my car too. I spend so much money on kids that are not mine

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I'm constantly thinking about it. Seriously, every day. I know that X will get a Regent when he outgrows the BV, unless of course there is another option by then, that would totally throw me off! R is getting her Signo as soon as they're available, and I don't know for E. He's fine in his WZ for now, but I would love to have a Signo for him, too, if it RF tethered to 35 lbs like they say it will. If it doesn't, then I guess I'll keep him in his WZ for awhile or if X grows out of the BV, E would get that. Seriously, every day. :rolleyes: I think maybe it's just because I want to have an excuse to buy more car seats!
Oh, and of course, I'm already thinking about what infant seat my next baby will get and I'm not even pregnant yet!

LuvBug

Ive started thinking about seats when DS had 1/2" left from the limit(so he was 1.5" away from the top of the shell, or .5" from the top slots).
It was only finding a seat for my moms old van that took me forever. It took an entire year to get the final seat(went through a few), all that work for her to turn around a few weeks later and get a new van UGH! anyway... lol!
We have DNiece and DNephews carseat plans figured out until they are 9 assuming they stay on the same growth curve lol!

Morganthe

Purchase in Haste, Repent in leisure.... well, somewhat :shrug-shoulders:

I purchased the Recaro Start booster seat last spring after a huge growth spurt of dd's. I thought she was going to be out of her Max-Cosi in 2 months. I didn't realize that there were larger 5pt harness seats she could use back then. Well, it's 12 months later, and any more growth in her torso, she will be OVER her slots. Right now she's just under even with them. So I anticipated too early.

Not too shabby since she's a hair under 41# AND over 37lbs with clothes on. The seat's rated to 40" & 40lb, so we got our money's worth on the M-C. :thumbsup:

I'm going to use the Start + impact cushion until I determine whether a Regent or the Signo will suit our needs. I just ordered a Regent to test it out in my car to see. Then I'll figure out the Signo after it emerges. Regardless, I'll still have the Start & Radian to play with here at home.

If the Start works great for dd, I might consider using it for the next 9 months or so until dh leaves and then switch the Radian to my car. Or I'll sell the Start if I find another 5pt harness seat that works to gain some funds back. The possibilities boggle my mind at times. :dizzy:

So to bluntly answer your question.... it's been a year in the process to determine 2 seats for 2 cars for 1 child and still a work in progress. :whistle:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Um... welcome to my life :). For every seat I actually own, I've spent hours contemplating probably 6 others...And I've owned a couple dozen seats at least :D

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one, so thanks guys. :love:

I think part of my indecisiveness is knowing what I want to do if it's possible, but not knowing if it'll be possible... the new Triumph would be perfect for us. Higher slots than the Radian, probably the same price range or maybe even cheaper. But will it be available before ds outgrows his SS?

I think we're going to end up with a Radian, but then there's the narrow harness straps... then again, by the time ds would need it, maybe his neck won't have those cute baby rolls...lol.

I just can't decide...lol. (Obviously, right?) :p

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am thinking about seats for a child who will not outgrow her current seats for AT LEAST another two years. :eek: :eek:

Mom2nj

That's why I am up right now. DS is even or almost even with the top slots in the RA, so I am trying to figure out how much time he actually has and what I should get. A FPSVD or a Radian and move the MA to the car. Either way, DH will not be to pleased, but he is outgrown that seat, and if I get the job I interviewed for he will definately need it...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC