Radian Questions

3acorns4Christy

I am looking into buying a Radian for my car, it will primarily be used by Pia. So higher RF limit is moot point.

But I can't decide which seat to get, with the head wings or not. For frame of refference she is even with the bottom slots on the MA's and on the second harness slot on the MR's.

Growing is going to be very slow for her, especially torso as she has longer legs and tends to grow in her legs and head.

How low do the headwings go?

She has a large head and I would prefer to have a seat with sideimpact for her but I need a narrower seat for the back of my car, seems like the Radian might be my only choice.

Is there another really narrow seat that has headwings that would come closer to her head?

Last edited:
ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Is the CA an option? I think those headwings are pretty close together.

Otherwise, the RN headwings are only for use on the third harness slot or above. How close is she to moving up on the MR? I *think* (although I'm not certain) my kids are usually on the second MR slot and third RN slot at the same time.

I'll run out and measure the difference in slots real quick. BRB.

ETA: Apparently all tape measures, rules, and other measuring apparatus have disappeared from this house. Using the ultra-scientific method of the side of a BRU mailer :p I have concluded that the MR's second slots and the RN's third slots are "pretty tootin' close." If she's above the MR slots at all, then I think she would be able to use the RN headwings now or very soon.

Someone may have a better/more scientific/more exact explanation for you. :)

ETA2: Remember, though, that the very act of being RFing, in a harness, provides a great deal of SIP. I don't think the headwings are harmful -- but I also wouldn't wig out about getting a 65 due to not needing the weight limits. I also know that Pia's got special circumstances, though, and if your mommy gut says headwings, then spend the bit extra for the headwings. :)

3acorns4Christy

She is just at the second slots, no where near above. Pretty much moved them up more due to the other cutting into her neck.

Thats what I was trying to figure out, should I go for the ones without headwings knowing that the very act of RFing will be good. Or get ones that likely will not be used for quite a while. Mommy gut isn't leaning either way as she won't be FF for quite some time.

I have to convince my DH of a need for another Convertable which should be fun...not. But with the prices so low and we really do need something narrow back there.

NannyMom

TJ uses the 2nd slots on the Marathon. He is just a hair below the 3rd slots on the Radian, which is where the headwings can be used. So I think it would take forever for Pia to be able to use the headwings. The Boulevard or Boulevard 70. I'm guessing the My Ride won't work? I think the MR sides are so big and deep they count as headwings.

btw- this is posted upstairs ;)

3acorns4Christy

eh lol on upstairs, guess I'll edit that out.

The big thing we need is narrow. She's currently in the MR, Fits great in there actually and loves the seat. But our infant seat isn't puzzling next to that and the Nautilus very well, with a base install. Without it fits well. But with three in carseats and remembering to buckle the actual seat in each time. Honestly I'm not sure I can remember that much. lol.

I get my KF back from my neighbor after the first and we'll see how that puzzles with the base. If it does great, then WAHOO. But I'd like to know the other options prior as DH is a very anal about actually having a need for another seat type of person.

mimieliza

My little guy is on the third slots RFing. He is about 30" tall with a long torso.

After seeing the Radians IRL (I got an XTSL and a 65SL), I am perfectly comfortable with no headwings for RFing. It's just something about how very sturdy and solid the entire seat is. I prefer the headwings for my FFing DD because we have no side curtain airbags in our vehicle. But the xtsl wings are pretty close together and my DD complains that they push her head forward. So for a seat that will be used primarily RFing, I'd skip the headwings to make for a more comfortable seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

firemomof3

I've had the XTSL and currently use a 65SL and I really don't have a preference. 6 one way 1/2 dozen the other

jnamommy

My dd at age 2 has similar stats to your dd at 2. And we have a Radian and a Complete Air for her - she much prefers the Radian. She has a hard time seeing past the wings on the CA and strains her neck and head to see around them.

For the Radians, we took a body pillow from the infant insert, and she uses that as her head pad. Comfy, and she can still see out to the side easily.

NannyMom

I'd go with the wings. I just much prefer them. Gives them somewhere to rest their head both FF and RF. And really, having more there to stop side movement of the head in a crash is good IMO.

3acorns4Christy

He's not ready for full time boostering, and loves his Nautilus. He is awful at change so I'd rather not touch his seating situation.

I think I might just deal with the seatbelt install of the infant seat.

Rebelnicky04

I had the XTSL and the 80sl and was sooo sorry I got rid of my 80sl for the XTSL... The 80 just worked a lot better in a smaller car. The headwings on the XTSL were awkward to me and the entire seat itself just kind of got on my nerves. Good luck shopping :)

djma

What about a diplomat? Is that what they are -- the roundabout/blvd mix? It would have the wings and be a smaller seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC