How would you respond?

carseatfreak

How would you all respond to this. This friend texted me the other day asking for advice on a new seat for her 8-9 month old daughter. I gave a huge list of seats...reasons I liked them/didn't...offered to meet up with her to let her try some in her vehicle. Told her some of the choice was preference...depended upon whether she thoughther daughter would probably outgrow by height/weight first, fit in her vehicle, ease of use for her...and whether she intended to keep her rear facing to the new recommendations (and then quoted them in a short sentence). Here is what I got in response (below). So...do I let it go at this point...(Eddie Bauer was not on my list...). Maybe 6 months ago or so I forwarded the link to Joel's page/video...just sharing it and told her I knew she wasn't at the point yet...just something to think about going forward. Should I just let all the carseat talk go at this point or is there a nice way to address this back?

"Thanks Amanda for all the info! So much to consider. I asked you because I knew you had done a ton of research! I started looking online a little yesterday and saw a nice Eddie Bauer one but none are available in stores to see just have to look online so that is a little scary since we can't actually see them. But got great reviews of being in an accident etc. Sarah is almost 19 pounds right now and probably about 26 or so inches long so she is definitely getting up there. I doubt I'll make her rear facing for 2 years just seems excessive and her poor legs already touch the seat so she will be squished if she has to stay in the rear facing for two years."INDENT]​

ADS

christineka

I'd tell her that any car seat used properly will be safe in an accident, that she can buy the eddie bauer if she wants, but that it isn't recommended because it's a difficult seat to install and use. I would address the fact that convertible seats offer more leg room (Then I might list the ones with the most.), and that legs aren't really that important anyway. I would explain what happens in a crash forward facing and rear-facing, maybe even send that video. After that, if she wants to ff at 12 months, then let it be. Oh, and I'd also tell her about the dorel minimum requirements to forward face.

Brianna

Not that I'm the best at this sort of thing, but my response would be that the Eddie Bauer seats are useless as boosters and are outgrown by most kids by age 3, making it almost a complete waste of money. I'd also tell her that the next to head/neck injuries forward facing, leg injuries are the 2nd most common, while virtually non-existent when rear facing.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'd try to keep it short. Include a link explaining the benefits of RF and the bent-legs myth; let someone else do the talking for that part, yk?

Some people like their AIOs. I know a mom who has a Radian for her first kid but bought an AIO for her second kid. She's happy with it, and it installs fairly easily in her car. I wouldn't buy one for my own use, but they're not a terrible choice and if someone gave me one I'd use it. I'd just tell your friend that like anything, people have different opinions on them, and here's why people don't like them: 1, 2, 3.

carseatfreak

I'd try to keep it short. Include a link explaining the benefits of RF and the bent-legs myth; let someone else do the talking for that part, yk?

Some people like their AIOs. I know a mom who has a Radian for her first kid but bought an AIO for her second kid. She's happy with it, and it installs fairly easily in her car. I wouldn't buy one for my own use, but they're not a terrible choice and if someone gave me one I'd use it. I'd just tell your friend that like anything, people have different opinions on them, and here's why people don't like them: 1, 2, 3.

So...what are your favorite websites? My first reaction was to link to the AAP's and Joel's website (but while powerful...I feel it could scare her away and feel 'extreme' to her). Any good links that address the legs? Lastly...I have no experience with AIO's? What are your reasons for not liking them? Thanks so much!

libranbutterfly

So...what are your favorite websites? My first reaction was to link to the AAP's and Joel's website (but while powerful...I feel it could scare her away and feel 'extreme' to her). Any good links that address the legs? Lastly...I have no experience with AIO's? What are your reasons for not liking them? Thanks so much!

Reasons I dont like AIOs:
1. They are too short, most kids outgrow them by the time they are 3.
2. They make horrible boosters.
3. They are overpriced for what you get.

I am sure there are more, but I haven't had to deal with one in a while.

christineka

I like this video
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U"]YouTube - ‪Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car‬‏[/ame]

The reasons why I don't like the aoe are: difficult to install (required to be fully reclined and therefore usually needs a zillion pool noodles) and difficult to adjust. Depending on the model, it won't last long. Did you send hints on buying other seats at great deals? I like dealomite for their true fit prices.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
On the newer models with 50lb weight limits, you can use the top harness slot that used to be for "booster only" so they're not as quickly outgrown anymore. I don't think most kids will fit in them past 4, but at least it'll get them to minimum booster age, unlike before. OP, be sure to tell her that if she's looking online, to get one with a 50lb weight limit - some of the "deals" she's seeing might be the older version. Not only would it have all the downsides of the older version, but it will expire sooner as well since the manufacture date would be older.

The reasons I don't like them is that they more likely to be difficult to install in many vehicles, they make horrible boosters, and there are other seats that do the same thing better, for less or the same amount of money.

A good link for RF info for the OP:
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
It's got a summary at the top, which is nice if you don't want to read through all of it, but it also kind of draws the reader in. Even if she just intends to read the summary, she might go "Wait, how is that possible?" and read on. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC