How long did your heavier baby last RF?

mollysw

I got the TFP last week and I LOVE it!! But now that I have it I can't stop worrying that she's gonna hit 35 pounds way before I'm ready to turn her around. She's gonna be 7 months on Wednesday and she's almost 20 pounds. Ya think she'll make it to 3?? Obviously no one can predict what will really happen with her I just wanted to hear from someone else that their kid lasted a while RF. Of course I'd just get her a different seat if it was WAY too soon for my liking. It would just suck because my DH is totally against the Radian after it got stuck on our car. So I'm not sure what another good option would be if it came to that. TIA :)

ADS

miraclebabies

My girls didn't hit 20lbs till.. Dd1 -18m, Dd2 -2yr but with Ds he hit it at 1yr. I freaked out at his 9m appt cuz he was 18lbs, he slowed down alot after starting to crawl and walking now running everywhere. He's 17m and 23lbs, I know every kid is different but she will prob slow down. My 2.5yr old is only 23lbs too, she's itty bitty. My now 4yr hit 35lbs not to long after she turned four, she rear faced in her Marathon till 3yrs and 30lbs when she outgrew it by rf height.

Evolily

It's too soon to tell. You can look at the growth charts (google CDC growth charts), which may give you a very rough idea, but really, it's just too soon.

Lea_Ontario

My youngest was 22 lbs by 3 months, and managed to RF in the True Fit until just a couple of weeks before his 3rd birthday.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Chubby babies aren't always big kids. My daughter was around 20# around 6 months (iirc), but she could have started kindergarten RFing if SL Radians had been around back then.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's too soon to tell. You can look at the growth charts (google CDC growth charts), which may give you a very rough idea, but really, it's just too soon.

I agree, lol. Both of my kids were 20 lbs. at around 4 months and my ds hit 30 lbs. at 15 mos. (this was when seats rf to 30 lbs.). My dd was able to stay rf until she hit 33 lbs. at 3 years 1 month old (her seat went to 33 lbs. rf). Can you tell both my kids are older ;)? But yeah, both of mine started out really heavy and chunky early, but they thin out.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
our kids were over 22# before 6m. They were 33-35# shortly after 2y. Our kids are 90+% since newsborns.

kalamos23

Dd was 27#s at 9m, 37#s at 18m and was just turned ffing today at 45.4 lbs (just gained that, between this time abd last trip out, was 44.4#s) & will be 3 on Sunday.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

nmb

I got the TFP last week and I LOVE it!! But now that I have it I can't stop worrying that she's gonna hit 35 pounds way before I'm ready to turn her around. She's gonna be 7 months on Wednesday and she's almost 20 pounds. Ya think she'll make it to 3??

Most likely yes.
My DS was 19 lbs 8 oz at 4 mos (just turned 4 mos) and RF'd til 41 mos. He was 29 lbs at 12 mos and was 36 lbs on his 3rd b-day.

Once she's walking/running she'll keep getting taller but not put on weight as much.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
S was 20lbs at 4mos. At 2.5y, he's 35-36lb. I expect he'll continue to slow down and make it easily to 4 in his Radian. His big bros are 52lbs at 6 and 67lbs at 10; that's just the growth curve of that family.

OTOH, my J was a peanut during infancy (due to reflux) and was 8 or 9 mos before he even approached 20lbs. But by 2y4m, he was 38lb and he outgrew his RN by weight at 3y11m.

I wouldn't worry too much about what she'll go into long-term and the Radian not fitting... two years ago (when I came to the board) the MR was just coming out as the first 40lb RF seat. In the time since, we now have more than a dozen 40lb seats and two 45lb ones. Things change very quickly in the CPS world, so by the time your DD outgrows her TF there may be a myriad of other seats available. :)

agave

My 3 yr old is still RF her stats in my siggy are current. She was just over 20lbs at 7 months. Her growth really slowed down after she turned 2.

Phineasmama

My DS was 17 lbs at FOUR months old!!! He was like a little blimp baby lol! Anyways he's 2 1/2 now and he's only 30 lbs, so I wouldn't worry too much right now ;)

My daughter was over 20lbs (but not yet 21 lbs) by 9 months old. I don't remember how much she weighed at 7 months old, but probably it was almost 20 lbs.

She'll be 3 in September, and she fluctuates between 27.5 and 28 lbs. She was just a TANK as a baby, and once she started walking, everything leaned out. She's very active.

Anyway, DD is in a radian, and I fully expect her to make it to 4 RF in it. However, she's also on the shorter side. So that plays into it.

Brianna

J, the boy in my picture, is around the 97th percentile for height and weight. He still fits in his spare seat- Evenflo Tribute (35 rear facing weight limit) by weight and height at 33 pounds and 36 inches. He's 21 months old right now.

His full time seat is a Graco My Ride 65, which I'm sure will get him to his 2nd birthday and beyond.

Once they start crawling and walking the weight gain slows right down.

jeno

Senior Community Member
You'll probably be fine, even if the same growth is continued.

My 2 kids were 22lbs between 4 and 5 mos each, outgrowing our Keyfit. 35lbs came around 2.5yrs.

Kia

My DD was 19 pounds at 6 months, and I just turned her FF in her TF last week at 3 years, 7 months as she hit 34 pounds.

ElaynesMom

I think it's really hard to tell at this age when she may hit 35 lbs. My dd was 28 lbs 9 oz at 7 months and lasted rf in her TF until 3 years 7 months when she consistantly weighed 34.6 lbs.

msg221

Zain and Nour are 3 years and 1 month today. I think Zain was close to a year when he hit 20 lbs. and Nour was probably 18 mos. before she did. Zain is 33.8 lbs. now. At least that is what my scale said last Sunday! He rides in a TFP in his mom's car and was in one in my vehicle as well, but last week I got my RN 80SL, so he rode in that over the weekend. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes him to get to 34 lbs. even. I wasn't ready to turn him in my car, which is why I bought the RN. He will likely go FF in his mom's car as I don't think she has plans to buy him another seat to RF a little longer. Nour is only 27.8 lbs. so no worries about having to turn her anytime soon!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC