Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Real quick :) Talk me through flying!

Okay...

I have a two year old ERF. We are leaving for a less than 2 hour flight on weds. I am taking him and a crud load of luggage by myself. So originally, I was planning on just purchasing a CARES harness. But, now money is tight. I cannot afford it. Can I take him without anything?? I highly doubt he will have a problem remaining seated... We have a window seat, and I am bringing a new bag of toys and snacks on the plane. Is this a legal option? I have a radian, but, I don't feel comfortable lugging around such a heavy seat alone, and trying to watch my son. I also have an Avenue. Is the Avenue FAA approved and less than 16 inches across??

DS is almost 3, and 31 lbs. 37 inches. He has a brand new seat at our destination.

Loo Loo Bee! 3 Years!RF in a Shadow Radian SL 80FF in Frontier 85

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Real quick :) Talk me through flying!

ETA: NM, I see you have a seat at your destination.

I'm personally not comfortable flying without a seat. In order to see out the window, he would have to kneel or stand on the plane seat.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Carseat Crazy

We just flew (Alaska Air) yesterday with our Avenue and had no problems with it. It is FAA approved and narrow enough that I could put down the armrest with it installed both RF and FF. The other nice thing is that FF, the Avenue sits low enough to use the tray table.

We also used one of our Radians FF, and it too is low enough to use the tray. We had two of the shoulder straps to carry it. It was heavy after a while, but did leave our hands free to deal with carry-ons, a toddler, and a stroller.
    Outdated profile name--I'm up to Momma of 4 boys now with another little boy on the way!

(9.5yr, 7yr, 5yr, 28mo)

We were taught in our tech course that car seats on planes were to keep the child safe in the event of heavy turbulence, and so that they would have a trusted seat at the arrival destination. So it's not so much about keeping the child seated (though that is a plus) but more about keeping them safe. I'm not too familiar with what seats work on planes, but just by going off of what I learned in my tech course, and from watching videos about car seats and airplanes, I would strongly suggest bringing one along.
    DD-02/05, 61.5 lbs, 54 in. Incognito, Harmony Youth booster.
    DS1-12/06, 52 lbs, 47 in. Harmony Youth Booster, Graco backless booster.
    DS2-04/09, 41.5 lbs, 42 in. Recaro Performance Booster.
    DS3-06/10, 38 lbs, 40 in. Britax Pinnacle 90.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Can you rent a CARES on ebay? Or borrow one?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

thanks ladies! Decided to bring the Avenue. It says that it is FAA approved in the manual and it seems pretty narrow to me. I didn't even really think about turbulence. DS has epilepsy, so the last thing we need is a head injury from turbulence too!

Loo Loo Bee! 3 Years!RF in a Shadow Radian SL 80FF in Frontier 85

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Good decision! The Avenue works well on planes.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

CPS Technician

Great! I would def. bring a seat along.

My DD is 3, 38lbs, 38" tall and the lap belt def. does not fit her properly yet.
    My son was almost 4 before he rode w/o a seat, and I would consider him extremely mature compared to my DD.
    Mommy to:
    William James - 8YRS - 65lbs - 53" - Parkway
    Lena Colette - 5YRS - 50lbs - 48" - Performance Booster
    Marta Jeanne - 2YRS - RF Radian XTSL

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by judesmommy View Post
    thanks ladies! Decided to bring the Avenue. It says that it is FAA approved in the manual and it seems pretty narrow to me. I didn't even really think about turbulence. DS has epilepsy, so the last thing we need is a head injury from turbulence too!
    Make sure to find the red lettering on the label on the side of the seat before you leave. There's a sample label here: http://carseatblog.com/6599/airplane...-to-know-pt-1/ . It's easier to point to the label when a flight attendant asks you than to look it up in the manual.

Carseat Crazy

Too late but CARES can be rented. Just google "CARES Ebay" or "Craigslist" and the name of your location to get a list.

For the record, I flew alone with three children on 11 1/2 hour flights plus a connection alone with a Radian. It really wasn't a problem. I skipped the stroller and strapped the Radian on to a luggage cart and wheeled it behind me. You have only one child and a really short flight so it shouldn't be a problem.

Just to make it clear that flying with a Radian is no big deal!
    Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies in 5 countries
    3 trilingual, international travelers with two nationalities
    http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com