I'm getting desperate: double stroller shopping

jess71903

Ambassador
I have never cared a bit about strollers. I have a Graco Quattro Tour, a cheap umbrella, and had an InStep single jogger that I never used (sold it). Now I'm ISO a side-by-side double and I'm getting desperate.

I HAD a Mac Twin Triumph (I think) all set up on my mom's CL. She had accepted my offer on it and I had scheduled for her and my mom to meet up. A few days before the meet-up day, she emailed to say that she was so sorry, but her hubby had promised it to his sister to borrow. :(. I was so sad that it fell through but thought surely something else would come along.

I emailed on a Twin Techno that had been around a while that they were asking WAY too much for. They returned my 1st email asking for info, and then I offered them more than the other Mac, but a lot less than what they were asking, and they ignored me. It's now re-listed for $40 less than it was to start with, but still more than I offered.

I was in Dallas for almost a week, and emailed several people from the Dallas CL about strollers. One with a Baby Planet Unity Double called me back and countered my offer, and I passed. I kind of wish I hadn't now. The others were mainly Macs and all sold before I got to them. There was a BJCMD on there for about 3 seconds, listed at $100 at an estate sale. I WISH I had been there to get there at 4am to get that one!!

So now I don't know what to do. I have posted ISOs on both my and my mom's CLs. It's a long shot on mine- we see lots of Gracos and Evenflos around here. I am almost to the point of posting everywhere I can think of to ask if you find a really cheap one to buy it and I'll pay to have it shipped to me, but that seems risky. I'd hate to make a deal only to find out it would cost $60 to ship or something.

There is NO WAY I can get a new one. My DH would absolutely flip his lid. He's just barely okay with me spending $125 or so on a used one, and only because I sold my jogger and will sell my single Graco when I have a new double.

Any ideas for me? I feel like I'm missing out on things because it's too hard to take both of my kids. For those who don't know- my almost 40lb 3 year old has spina bifida and can't walk long distances, and my 17 month old...whew- she's just difficult to keep up with.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
http://www.strollers.com/InSTEP-11-KS228-AAA1150.html

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mia-Moda-Facile-Stroller-Flame/dp/B003MUA3RU/ref=sr_1_43?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1309226251&sr=1-43"]Amazon.com: Mia Moda Facile Twin Stroller, Flame: Baby[/ame]

http://www.strollers.com/Mia-Moda-487-TAN-MIA1112.html

http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-twin-ipo-double-stroller-1749269-platinum.html

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Twin-IPO-Stroller-Platinum/dp/B001J1Z8VK/ref=sr_1_59?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1309226304&sr=1-59"]Amazon.com: Graco Twin IPO Stroller, Platinum: Baby[/ame]

http://www.strollers.com/Foundations-42-SS-BO-FOU1042.html (only 40 limit per seat, though)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Buggypod-Smorph-Buggy-Sidecar-Strollers/dp/B002R5A85S/ref=sr_1_75?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1309226361&sr=1-75"]Amazon.com: Buggypod Smorph Buggy Sidecar for Strollers: Baby[/ame] (I'm not sure how well this works...)

jess71903

Ambassador

jess71903

Ambassador
Ok, so how do we feel about weight limits on double strollers? Gage is nearly 40lbs. I like the look of the Mia Moda, but the weight limit for each seat is 40lbs. I think the Graco Ipa is 50lbs, so maybe that would be better.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't think weight limits are set in stone (as they are with carseats), but I know it can be difficult to push some strollers if the child is much over that weight. Some strollers can easily handle it, while others cannot.

I have a single Graco Ipo and I LOVE it (I like it even more than my Maclaren! :duck:). The handles are nice and high, which is good for someone taller than average.

jess71903

Ambassador
The only negative I'm reading on the Ipo is that the stroller seat is too short (eta: meaning torso height). I guess I do have a somewhat special situation. Most people aren't looking for long term stroller solutions for their nearly 4 year old.

Sent from my Desire HD using Car-Seat.Org

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The only negative I'm reading on the Ipo is that the stroller seat is too short (eta: meaning torso height). I guess I do have a somewhat special situation. Most people aren't looking for long term stroller solutions for their nearly 4 year old.

Sent from my Desire HD using Car-Seat.Org

I use it (occasionally) for my five-year-old niece. It isn't a great stroller for long-term use, but she rides in it for short bursts (up to half-an-hour) without any complaints.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
jess71903 said:
Really? That's the stroller that started it all actually. I have a friend who had a friend with one for sale or trade for a single jogger, and I thought I might as well try to trade my unused single jogger for it. How does it fold? I started looking at used Macs because I want something that can stay in my car (Explorer) without taking up every bit of my cargo space.

It just folds in half, so not an umbrella fold. It steers very nicely though and has a 100lb weight limit.

r0ckaby3

I would consider a side by side, jogging type stroller, with a swivel wheel. It will be heavy, it will take up most of your cargo in the SUV because of the way they fold in half, but you can stack stuff on top of them. I have owned an InStep Safari double jogger (Schwinn and InStep strollers are made by Pacific Cycles), which fit in the trunk of my 2005 Hyundai Accent without taking any wheels off. I currently own a 2006 Mountain Buggy Urban Double, that does require me to remove wheels to pop it in my trunk. Both strollers were found on CL, the InStep was $100, the Mountain Buggy was $140.

I have owned a Baby Trend single jogger that was excellent, but have had issues with their customer service with other items I owned made by them. I have not tried their double jogger with swivel wheel.

My recommendation would be an InStep double jogger with swivel wheel, often they can be found very reasonably on Amazon. I would look for a model with individual sun canopies and snack trays. I had no issues using my InStep double jogger at the mall or grocery store.

I am also looking for a double stroller, but umbrella style to keep in the trunk of my car, since we already have the double jogger. Strollers are sooo expensive, but I've found it's worth it to hold out for what you want, otherwise you will end up frustrated, not using it, selling it, and back where you started!

Good Luck in your search!

jess71903

Ambassador
Thank you all for your advice! I knew I could count on the stroller crazies of cso for help. Before posting this thread yesterday, I posted an ISO on my mom's CL. This morning I had an email offering a Baby Planet Unity Sport Double for $120. I'm going to get my mom to go look at it, and if it looks as good in person as it does in the pics, I'll get it.

If that doesn't work out, I'll take a 2nd look at the double joggers with swivel wheels. I guess I just assumed they'd be a PITB for day-to-day use.

msg221

I would consider a side by side, jogging type stroller, with a swivel wheel. It will be heavy, it will take up most of your cargo in the SUV because of the way they fold in half, but you can stack stuff on top of them. I have owned an InStep Safari double jogger (Schwinn and InStep strollers are made by Pacific Cycles), which fit in the trunk of my 2005 Hyundai Accent without taking any wheels off. I currently own a 2006 Mountain Buggy Urban Double, that does require me to remove wheels to pop it in my trunk. Both strollers were found on CL, the InStep was $100, the Mountain Buggy was $140.

I have owned a Baby Trend single jogger that was excellent, but have had issues with their customer service with other items I owned made by them. I have not tried their double jogger with swivel wheel.

My recommendation would be an InStep double jogger with swivel wheel, often they can be found very reasonably on Amazon. I would look for a model with individual sun canopies and snack trays. I had no issues using my InStep double jogger at the mall or grocery store.

I am also looking for a double stroller, but umbrella style to keep in the trunk of my car, since we already have the double jogger. Strollers are sooo expensive, but I've found it's worth it to hold out for what you want, otherwise you will end up frustrated, not using it, selling it, and back where you started!

Good Luck in your search!

I was looking at some of the In Step models as well on Wal-Mart. I love this blue one!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/InStep-Safari-Swivel-Wheel-Double-Jogging-Stroller-Blue-and-Gray/13264734

It also comes in red:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/InStep-Safari-Swivel-Wheel-Double-Jogging-Stroller-Blue-and-Gray/13264734

and green, on Amazon, but it is $20 more:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/InStep-Safari-Swivel-Double-Jogger/dp/B002QDMOGM/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1309270680&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.com/InStep-Safari-Swivel-Double-Jogger/dp/B002QDMOGM/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1309270680&sr=1-1[/ame]

I think they look like really nice strollers for the price. A little more than what you had budgeted.

jess71903

Ambassador
Those do look really nice!! If this CL transaction falls through, I'll be looking at those and the Baby Trend ones.

KQs comment made me think: I don't want you all to think that I'm desperate because we have no money and I need a stroller. It's just not one of those things that I feel like it's prudent for us to spend so much on. DH is very money-conscious and can't believe a stroller can cost $600 and up (nor can I for the most part!). I just didn't want anyone to think that we were in a bad way and needing help or something :).

erikanohelani

Those do look really nice!! If this CL transaction falls through, I'll be looking at those and the Baby Trend ones.

KQs comment made me think: I don't want you all to think that I'm desperate because we have no money and I need a stroller. It's just not one of those things that I feel like it's prudent for us to spend so much on. DH is very money-conscious and can't believe a stroller can cost $600 and up (nor can I for the most part!). I just didn't want anyone to think that we were in a bad way and needing help or something :).

Don't worry I didn't think that :)

I do understand the budget for the stroller. It took a while to convince my DH that we needed a stroller for Disney. Especially, since it was my son's 5th one.

I think my comment "ok then you push J. the ENTIRE time we are at Disney in that crappy stroller we have" really did the trick lol!

Spending $200 on a stroller seemed crazy for him, but he actually admitted on the trip that the stroller was a GREAT idea. We both wished we would have bought the BJCMini in the first place... we wouldn't have went through so many strollers.

Mags462

Do you have a BRU near you? It might be better if you can try out your kiddos in the various stroller brands before buying. When i actually took my kids, put them in a few and pushed them around my opinion on strollers changed a LOT. Personally for a side by side i wouldn't get a Mac w/ the weights and ages of your kids. The wheels are just too small to push heavier kids IMO. I thought i wanted a Mac - i put my 35lb 3.5yr old, and my 20lb 18mo old in one and was shocked how much i disliked the push. I honestly preferred the graco to it. Yes the graco was heavier and it seemed to push better.

I hated the baby trend jogger.... it just seemed flimsy..... but i did like the instep joggers..:eek:

I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other, i guess i am just saying that you might want to try things out before you buy because i would hate for you to spend the $$$ and then not like what you get. :)

jess71903

Ambassador
Do you have a BRU near you? It might be better if you can try out your kiddos in the various stroller brands before buying. When i actually took my kids, put them in a few and pushed them around my opinion on strollers changed a LOT. Personally for a side by side i wouldn't get a Mac w/ the weights and ages of your kids. The wheels are just too small to push heavier kids IMO. I thought i wanted a Mac - i put my 35lb 3.5yr old, and my 20lb 18mo old in one and was shocked how much i disliked the push. I honestly preferred the graco to it. Yes the graco was heavier and it seemed to push better.

I hated the baby trend jogger.... it just seemed flimsy..... but i did like the instep joggers..:eek:

I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other, i guess i am just saying that you might want to try things out before you buy because i would hate for you to spend the $$$ and then not like what you get. :)

Very good point. The closest BRU is about an hour away. If this thing falls through, I might be taking a trip, though.

skitle1802

I liked my Mac twin triumph for the fold, the push was ok but the Graco Quattro Duo I sold acctually pushed nicer even though it was heavier.

I'm totally sold on Baby jogger! I got a single from a mama here and it strengthened my resolve to get a city mini double. I sold a lot of diaper bags and my mac to fund the BJCMD so DH can't complain I bought it for my almost 4y/o and 2.5y/o:love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC