Not feeling the Keyfit love....

hunypooh77

Its been 4 1/2 weeks now and I just really really dislike this seat! It makes the baby slouch so bad...I moved the straps up to the middle slot because the bottom slot had them coming from way under him and he slouches into the seat so bad that they end up above his shoulders in the middle slot when they were perfectly at his shoulders when I placed him in the stupid seat. I have put him in a few other seats (out atthe store) to see if he fit better in a different seat and he does. I just hate this seat, I cant stand everything about it...but, if I tell dh that he just might slap me!!:(

ADS

cookie123

I'm sorry you're having issues. Are you using the insert and the crotch slot that is closest? Can you put a rolled up wash cloth or cloth diaper in the crotch to prevent it?

Spam

I feel for you, I didn't have the kf love either :( I wanted to love it so badly, but I just didn't. I then tried a shuttle33 and liked it at first, but started to hate the adjuster. I ended up with a Teutonia35 and I loved it, and still use it on occasion. But thanks to my obsession with car seats, I'm wanting to try an Aton this time around :eek: No chance your dh will let you switch? Have you tried it without the insert?

LuvBug

Yeah, have you tried it without any of the inserts? or just the headrest insert? You can always used a rolled blanket around baby instead, if removing the inserts help.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd take out the headrest insert, and of course both if baby's already 11 pounds. That headrest is so...wrong... it really encourages that head to move forward, while taking it out allows baby to lie back and the head to stay up, airway open.

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
I took the head insert out and ironed the middle of it to flatten it down. It helped a lot. Probably not something Chicco would approve of, but I had to do something. I loved the lateral supports of the headrest, but the middle was too thick, so I took matters into my own hands.

hunypooh77

The whole reason I even wanted the KF was for the inserts...baby weighs just about 8 pounds now so he has a way to go before I have to discontinue using them...I dont see any other buckle slots? Its a KF22 does that matter? It seems that he would fit worse without the body insert because he is small, and the head rest does seem to push his little head forward....I really miss the snugride I had with dd.
I am just so mad at myself for wanting this seat...I would have gotten a snugride32 but dd was in a MA and there wasnt enough room for it where his seat needs to be, the KF was a much better fit. Now dd is in an XTSL and there is a ton of room, but dh would kill me if I said I wanted a different seat.:(

Oh and I forgot to mention, the harness in a PITA to tighten. It seems to not move freely through the slots on the buckle tongues and when I think its tight I realise I have to get the slack out of the hip area.

hunypooh77

I took the head insert out and ironed the middle of it to flatten it down. It helped a lot. Probably not something Chicco would approve of, but I had to do something. I loved the lateral supports of the headrest, but the middle was too thick, so I took matters into my own hands.

Hmmm....maybe I will try that too. But that doesnt solve the slouching that the body insert causes.

LuvBug

Just try it without the insert, can't hurt to at least see if it makes a difference. If it does then great! You don't need a different seat! If it doesn't and nothing else seems to work... well then sometimes that kind of stuff happens. At least you can try to get some return on the seat and get something that will work.

hunypooh77

Just try it without the insert, can't hurt to at least see if it makes a difference. If it does then great! You don't need a different seat! If it doesn't and nothing else seems to work... well then sometimes that kind of stuff happens. At least you can try to get some return on the seat and get something that will work.

I wish I could return the seat...but we got it from a good friend, I bought a new harness for it and some extra covers (1 specifically to get the inserts because it didnt have them) I have about $100 into the seat...dh would not be happy if I said I didnt want it now after I had to have a KF and bought all the stuff for it.....:rolleyes:

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
Can you put a rolled up wash cloth or cloth diaper in the crotch to prevent it?

This too. I remember that I had to put a rolled up dipe between her and the crotch strap/buckle for a while. Also, (assuming you're using the base) do you have the base installed to allow for the seat to recline enough?

Once he gets a little bigger, you'll like the seat more. :twocents:

LuvBug

I didn't mean return it, I meant "get some return on it" to use to help fund the other one ;)

You aren't stuck with the seat if you decide you need to move on from it unless it has been damaged or is going to expire soon. Look at it that way.

hunypooh77

I didn't mean return it, I meant "get some return on it" to use to help fund the other one ;)

You aren't stuck with the seat if you decide you need to move on from it unless it has been damaged or is going to expire soon. Look at it that way.

oh...LOL. It is 3 years old, so not expiring soon. I still think dh wouldnt like that...
I do have dd's snugride in my attic, its a girly one, but its beginning to tempt me. It needs a really good cleaning and I think the harness might be trashed, and for some reason I think I chucked the head rest...but I think I would be happier with him in a snugride.

cookie123

I have a theory with the Keyfit - that if your kids' head has a more protruding back of the head, it pushes the head forward. A lot of preemies seem to have this - toaster head syndrome! I feel like alot of them need the head part out to not have their chin on their chest. Try it!

squishles10

My Britax gets stuck tightening too. My Keyfit did a little I guess, I don't remember. I just know I have to pull the straps tight over this thighs first, then tighten the strap. Then nothing can get stuck. I don't even think about it anymore.

You can use rolled up receiving blankets or diapers around his head instead of the insert. That will let his head go back further.

Agree try the rolled up diaper at the crotch, although I never ran into this problem. I don't think I realized there were 2 places for the crotch strap to come through. *going to look*

canadiangie

I do believe the KF manual actually talks about pulling the slack out of the hips before tightening. Not that that makes the task less annoying...

Fwiw, I don't love my KF either, but it's grown on me. I don't love the harness geometry of it. The hip portion rides high up around dd's tummy. If only I could shorten the crotch strap, lol.

Still, here's what I do love. Awesome seat-to-base recognition. As long as the seat is anywhere near the base it will just fall into place. I don't need to line anything up.

The handle can be locked into place silently. Need I say more.

It's not a huge bulky seat, but it tends to last a while. It's a nice tall shell, really.

It really does install easily, with little effort. I prefer push-on style connectors, and the centre pull is nice.

So yeah, it's not like omg I love this seat, but I respect it for the few little things it has/does over other seats. And like I said, it's grown on me... with time...

creideamh

Just wanted to say, I didn't like the KF either. It just seemed blah to me- not worth the money. I liked the SR and OB35Air better. We use it on occasion (LO can't sit unassisted yet so we throw it in the trunk for out-to-eat trips since she's in CCOs in the car), but she doesn't have a whole lot of shell left above her head either and is just in the 75th %ile for height and only 6 months old. I also had the stuck harness adjuster issue too, no matter how many times I'd reroute it. Blah.

purplemama

I don't love it either. The harness digs into DD's belly and leaves a horrid red mark on her neck that lasts hours. She actually fit better with the insert but she's 12# now.
And yeah my DH is pretty unhappy that the "only seat that will work and is perfect" turned out not to work so well.
But I do love the install. EASY.
After using it for only four months DD is going to be in the BLVD70 from now on. I can't stand the red marks it leaves on her belly and neck. What a waste of money. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC