No more Accord Hybrid

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
With all the Hybrid talk on this site lately, I thought some might be interested in this:

No hybrid for the new 2008 Honda Accord, diesel in 2009
After the rather dismal sales of the current generation Accord hybrid, Honda has apparently decided not to offer a hybrid version of the new 2008 Accord due this fall. Honda will focus the hybrid applications on smaller cars like the Civic and the new hybrid-only model they have coming for 2009. Larger models like the Accord will instead use Honda's new fifty-state diesel engine that is coming in 2009...

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Accord hybrid really was tuned for performance rather than fuel economy. I think Honda's marketing missed the mark. The hybrid Camry is a much better choice for those concerned more about mpg than with 0-60 times.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, that Accord was SWEET to drive...all sports car in a sedan body...but gas mileage? not worth it for the price tag...so we didn't buy it...

southpawboston

The Accord hybrid really was tuned for performance rather than fuel economy. I think Honda's marketing missed the mark. The hybrid Camry is a much better choice for those concerned more about mpg than with 0-60 times.

Yeah, that Accord was SWEET to drive...all sports car in a sedan body...but gas mileage? not worth it for the price tag...so we didn't buy it...

right. my opinion is that the accord hybrid didn't really do anything to "help the environment" since the car still got worse gas mileage with the hybrid drive than a gasoline-only honda fit or scion xA, which beat out the accord-h in terms of fuel efficiency while also being PZEV-rated (and therefore in the same pollution category as the hybrids). it just helped the people who just had to have a more powerful car than they really needed feel less "guilty". for those who are truly concerned about fuel efficiency and/or green-ness above all else, there were much better alternatives that didn't even require a hybrid motor. there is a part of me, possibly paranoid, that also likes to speculate that the companies that are churning out hybrids are paying favors to the oil industry by ensuring that the cars still consume a good amount of fuel (civic and prius being the more efficient exceptions, i'm talking more about all these new muscle car hybrids and SUVs coming out). and if honda really wanted to make the hybrid efficiency appeal to a larger base of consumers, why didn't they offer it on different body style civics other than the sedan, which has limited appeal to space-conscious consumers? if they came out with a civic hatchback or wagon hybrid (like the prius) i would be much more likely to consider it.

stevel

the car companies are spewing hybrids for the same reason they've been spewing SUV's for the past ten years. they are the current FAD. nothing more. a hybrid is NOT the answer to oil dependance or the environment. It's just like R134a in automotive A/C systems compared to R12. it's better, but still not good. There have been studies done about the pollution created to manufactur the battery packs etc. for hybrids and is debatable that it completely counteracts and environment gains from the slight reduction in exhaust emmisions due to better fuel economy. although these stories are hidden for the most part because the truth may deter people from hybrids (current $$$$ maker for car makers and the favorite of politicians to get votes).

and watch for the new EPA fuel economy measurment numbers. I was told, haven't seen for myself, that the Prius went from 60mpg to "real world" 45mpg. not quite so amazing if that's the true number. considering my wife's old 2004 accord 4 cylinder 5 speed manual coupe got real world 36mpg on the highway and it wasn't designed to be the incredible fuel saver the Prius is supposed to be.....

just something to watch for. I may be completely wrong, but could be right.......... flame me if you wish. :p

I'll stick with my 6 speed accord V6 sedan getting 19mpg but enjoying the drive. :)

southpawboston

It's just like R134a in automotive A/C systems compared to R12. it's better, but still not good.

i thought R134 doesn't deplete the ozone like R12 did? is it not really that better?

There have been studies done about the pollution created to manufactur the battery packs etc. for hybrids and is debatable that it completely counteracts and environment gains from the slight reduction in exhaust emmisions due to better fuel economy. although these stories are hidden for the most part because the truth may deter people from hybrids (current $$$$ maker for car makers and the favorite of politicians to get votes).
again, agreed.

and watch for the new EPA fuel economy measurment numbers. I was told, haven't seen for myself, that the Prius went from 60mpg to "real world" 45mpg. not quite so amazing if that's the true number. considering my wife's old 2004 accord 4 cylinder 5 speed manual coupe got real world 36mpg on the highway and it wasn't designed to be the incredible fuel saver the Prius is supposed to be.....

yeah, there is a website that spits out the revised EPA estimates for your car retroactively. prius gets mid 40s. not so great when you consider how slow of a car it is... any car with a TDI engine can blow its doors off while getting better mileage and less CO2 output, to boot! :rolleyes: heck, my PZEV hyundai elantra 5 spd with 8.0 sec 0-60 times still managed 35-37 with the A/C on. but on the other hand, i think the plug-in hybrids offer much more hope than the current crop of non-plug-ins. but it may also cost just as much to power a plug-in, depending on your electricity rates.

stevel

i thought R134 doesn't deplete the ozone like R12 did? is it not really that better?
R134 is significantly better for the ozone, but still does damage when let free into the atmosphere. just not nearly as much as R12 did. r134 will be replaced by something safer within our lifetimes.

any car with a TDI engine can blow its doors off while getting better mileage and less CO2 output, to boot!
lower CO2 yes, but a diesel engine produces significantly higher emissions of a different polutant that I can't put my finger to the name of. :( it's not considered a big factor at this point because the number of diesel cars on the road is very very low in comparison to gas engine cars..

southpawboston

lower CO2 yes, but a diesel engine produces significantly higher emissions of a different polutant that I can't put my finger to the name of. :( it's not considered a big factor at this point because the number of diesel cars on the road is very very low in comparison to gas engine cars..

sulfur dioxide. that's why the new reduced-sulfur diesel fuels are being used for low emissions diesels. but the tradeoff is that it is very carbon-intensive to refine low-sulfur diesel.

tl01

the car companies are spewing hybrids for the same reason they've been spewing SUV's for the past ten years. they are the current FAD. nothing more. a hybrid is NOT the answer to oil dependance or the environment. It's just like R134a in automotive A/C systems compared to R12. it's better, but still not good. There have been studies done about the pollution created to manufactur the battery packs etc. for hybrids and is debatable that it completely counteracts and environment gains from the slight reduction in exhaust emmisions due to better fuel economy. although these stories are hidden for the most part because the truth may deter people from hybrids (current $$$$ maker for car makers and the favorite of politicians to get votes).

just something to watch for. I may be completely wrong, but could be right.......... flame me if you wish. :p

I'll stick with my 6 speed accord V6 sedan getting 19mpg but enjoying the drive. :)

I totally agree. This is why I won't consider a hybrid. I would love a clean burning diesel though!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hybrids may not be the ultimate answer, but they are reducing dependence on non-renewable foreign oil because they are returning better city mileage than most other vehicles in their class. Better IS good. That means it's better than what auto makers were doing before, which was to spew out more large trucks and SUVs that made the problem worse. I'd much rather have a fad that reduces oil consumption rather than increases it. Plus, the hybrid technology is readily available and, while expensive, the costs are not prohibitive. Toyota has sold a million already and expects to sell a million a year by 2010 and claims they will be profitable, too.

Electric motors are more efficient, especially in stop and go driving. They can also recover some energy usually lost as heat while braking. It sounds like your issue is mostly with the conventional gasoline engines and batteries used to augment current hybrids. That can change as technologies improve.

Could someone please link this website that is giving EPA numbers based on the revised protocols? Have they actually tested vehicles retroactively or just guessing based on some pattern?

I don't care so much what the real world fuel economy is of a hybrid based on some small number of personal experiences. What I do care about is how it compares in the real world averages or repeatable test results to a conventional engine in the same (or similar) model. Even if it is "only" a 10% improvement, that is considerable if you apply it on a large scale. IMO, an improvement on that scale should be *required* on all vehicles as a matter of national security.

Incidentally, isn't it CO2 emissions that are the main concern as far as global warming? My understanding is that while particulates are bad for air and water quality, they may actually lead to "global dimming" that partially offsets global warming. Another reason to hope the government regulations and manufacturers get with the program and give us cars powered by small hybrid diesel engines. Plug-ins should be an improvement, too. Even if no cheaper, they still presumably lower foreign oil dependence because our power plants are mostly coal and nuclear. I would also hope that the emissions from a typical power plant per mile traveled are lower than that for a typical hybrid gasoline engine. I'm sure someone has done such a study somewhere.

southpawboston

Could someone please link this website that is giving EPA numbers based on the revised protocols? Have they actually tested vehicles retroactively or just guessing based on some pattern?

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp

it is just a back-calculation, not a re-test.

Incidentally, isn't it CO2 emissions that are the main concern as far as global warming? My understanding is that while particulates are bad for air and water quality, they may actually lead to "global dimming" that partially offsets global warming. Another reason to hope the government regulations and manufacturers get with the program and give us cars powered by small hybrid diesel engines. Plug-ins should be an improvement, too.

yes, it's the CO2 that is causing the global warming, and that is why diesels are much better in *that* regard. diesels do produce more fine particulates which may contribute to global dimming and to harm air quality, but many of them are biodegradable and end up returning to the earth as reusable biomass. i agree about plug-in hybrids, however, depending on the original energy source driving production of electricity, a plug-in hybrid may just be a much longer tailpipe, if you know what i mean (e.g., coal-driven electricity production). either way, it does help in reducing dependence on foreign oil.

stevel

Electric motors are more efficient, especially in stop and go driving. They can also recover some energy usually lost as heat while braking. It sounds like your issue is mostly with the conventional gasoline engines and batteries used to augment current hybrids. That can change as technologies improve.
yes, that is most of my issue with hybrids. because they still use a gasoline engine for the primary power source, it solves no problems. a "reduction" in emmisions and fuel consumption does not result in anything in reality. the current cars may or may not lead to a REAL answer. some technologies go nowhere after a while and lead to nothing. my opinion is a hybrid as we know it, is one of those cases. the civic GX seems to be more of a realistic starting point to the answer to the question people want answered.

although I also have the believe that the end of the environment and world as we know it will not be caused by our cars. I think the chances are greater of worldwide nuclear explosions(or some other catastrophic disaster) destroying our world before burning gasoline in automobiles will. so maybe I'm looney. :scratcheshead:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
yes, that is most of my issue with hybrids. because they still use a gasoline engine for the primary power source, it solves no problems. a "reduction" in emmisions and fuel consumption does not result in anything in reality. the current cars may or may not lead to a REAL answer. some technologies go nowhere after a while and lead to nothing. my opinion is a hybrid as we know it, is one of those cases. the civic GX seems to be more of a realistic starting point to the answer to the question people want answered.

although I also have the believe that the end of the environment and world as we know it will not be caused by our cars. I think the chances are greater of worldwide nuclear explosions(or some other catastrophic disaster) destroying our world before burning gasoline in automobiles will. so maybe I'm looney. :scratcheshead:

Aside from the environmental issues, the gasoline supply is limited. Current gas prices prove that pretty convincingly. Plus, most of the supply is in a very unstable region beset by constant wars for thousands of years. That's the kind of conflict that can lead to the use of nuclear weapons that you mentioned. In my opinion, any reduction in emissions and fuel consumption is a very good thing. It's not just the air we breathe and the environment we want to preserve. It's also a national security issue of oil supply that is more immediate, not to mention gas prices due to the growing demand.

I'm looking at those new, lower EPA estimates you mentioned. Sure, the hybrid numbers have gone down, but so have those for conventional models. Even with the new estimates, these are pretty serious improvements. I'd say they are quite a bit better, on the order of over 40% in fuel economy. For example, here are three essentially identical comparisons of hybrids to conventional models from three different manufacturers:

The 2007 Escape FWD auto 4-cyl is listed as 20/24, 21 combined. It uses an average of 16.3 barrels a year, has an air pollution score of 6/10 and emits 8.7 tons of greenouse gas a year. The 2007 Escape Hybrid FWD auto 4-cyl is listed as 31/29, 30 combined. It uses an average of 11.4 barrels of oil a year, has an air pollution score of 8/10 and it emits 6.1 tons of greenhouse gas a year.

The 2007 Civic Auto 4-cyl is listed as 25/36, 29 combined. It uses an average of 11.8 barrels/year, has an air pollution score of 6/10 and emits 6.3 tons of greenouse gas a year. The 2007 Civic Hybrid Auto 4-cyl is listed as 40/45, 42 combined. It uses an average of 8.2 barrels, has a score of 9/10 and emits 4.4 tons a year.

The 2007 Camry auto 4-cyl is listed as 21/30, 24 combined. It uses an average of 14.3 barrels/year, has an air pollution score of 6/10 and emits 7.7 tons/year. The 2007 Camry hybrid is listed as 33/34, 34 combined. It uses an average of 10.1 barrels/year, has an air pollution score of 8/10 and emits 5.4 ton/year.

Even with just the fad hybrids, the savings in fuel and emissions would be incredible if every model was a required to be a hybrid. The economies of scale would also make the price increase much smaller. This technology is here. Such a mandate would be a far greater step in our energy policy than anything every administration combined has done since the last gas crisis in the 70s. Even if it isn't the ultimate solution, it's a pretty good step we can take right now. Even 10% is nothing to scoff about, but I don't know why people scoff at 25% reductions in emissions or 40% reductions in fuel consumption. I presume these people are not scoffing at current gas prices.

It takes 20 years or something for the vehicle fleet to rollover in the USA. Sure, we can wait 10 years for the next best thing. Fuel cells, plug-ins, hydrogen, who knows. Once you wait for that, something even better will be on the horizon another 10 years later. That's the same reason nothing has been done since the last crisis. It's too easy for people to put off to the next generation for one reason or another. The fact is, we have a technology that can make serious reductions right now, and it wouldn't be cost prohibitive if it was mandated for widespread implementation. Even without such a mandate, it's good to see that companies like Toyota will be producing a lot more of them at a profit within a few years. I plan to be an owner of one by then, because I doubt anything better will be available.

stevel

I admittedly haven't done the reserach to argue for or against the numbers you stated last there. so I'll refrain from any response until I can do more research. but one thing that bothers me....

the savings in fuel and emissions would be incredible if every model was a required to be a hybrid.

are you "implying" that someone, i.e. government should force every model to be a hybrid because the talking heads on the television tell us that they are the answer to our environmental issues? taking away our individual choice in what we drive and what type of engine we prefer by forcing what some of us like to not be available? or am I misinterpreting?

that response based on admin post in coffee break area. maybe it doesn't apply in this forum as I know it is only posted in the coffee break area.
If there is a chance your comments might be misinterpreted or considered offensive, then DO NOT POST THEM here.

Aside from the environmental issues, the gasoline supply is limited. Current gas prices prove that pretty convincingly. Plus, most of the supply is in a very unstable region beset by constant wars for thousands of years. That's the kind of conflict that can lead to the use of nuclear weapons that you mentioned.

yes, those conflicts have gone on for thousands of years, far before our extreme use of oil, therefore the conflicts amongst themselves in that region won't stop if we stop using oil. their issues are religion based obviously, not oil based. began long before oil demand and aren't going to stop.

It's also a national security issue of oil supply that is more immediate, not to mention gas prices due to the growing demand.
gas prices, vs. long term inflation = gas is still cheap at this time. many many articles out there state this.

I feel as though I'm causing trouble, but I honestly am not. :( just posting my opinions and defending them as I see appropriate. that's what forums are for, right?

southpawboston

Aside from the environmental issues, the gasoline supply is limited. Current gas prices prove that pretty convincingly.

where are the rations? the long gas lines? do you remember 1973? today, just about every gas station in the US is pretty well stocked with gas; while the global supply of crude oil is definitely finite--i agre with you on that, i don't buy into the argument that current on-hand supplies are stretched thin and that that is tied to current gasoline prices. the lack of waiting lines at the gas stations proves this to me. the prices do not prove a lack of supply, they more likely reflect that americans are willing to pay higher prices without putting much of a dent in their lifestyles, and the oil execs know this.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I admittedly haven't done the reserach to argue for or against the numbers you stated last there. so I'll refrain from any response until I can do more research. but one thing that bothers me....

are you "implying" that someone, i.e. government should force every model to be a hybrid because the talking heads on the television tell us that they are the answer to our environmental issues? taking away our individual choice in what we drive and what type of engine we prefer by forcing what some of us like to not be available? or am I misinterpreting?

Yes, that is exactly my opinion. I don't know about the talking heads, but the new fuel economy numbers you mentioned sure do support this answer. Choice of vehicle engines is not a right provided by the constitution or even a state law. I happen to think that reducing our fuel consumption is very important for the environment and national security. Apparently I am in the minority, since no progressive legislation on the topic has been enacted since the last gas crisis. As always, YMMV.

yes, those conflicts have gone on for thousands of years, far before our extreme use of oil, therefore the conflicts amongst themselves in that region won't stop if we stop using oil. their issues are religion based obviously, not oil based. began long before oil demand and aren't going to stop.

But our dependence on foreign oil affects our involvement in the region. With supply fixed and demand increasing, the issues will get a lot worse.

gas prices, vs. long term inflation = gas is still cheap at this time. many many articles out there state this.

I agree. Heck, slap a $1 a gallon national gas tax to offset the cost of hybrid implementation (or any other technology you prefer). Just the tax alone would be a pretty good incentive to reduce consumption. Use the proceeds for traffic safety initiatives if you don't want to use it for reducing fuel consumption;-)

I feel as though I'm causing trouble, but I honestly am not. :( just posting my opinions and defending them as I see appropriate. that's what forums are for, right?

Indeed.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The supply is fixed by the fact that dinosaurs no longer exist to maintain the amount in the ground.

The demand is increasing because our consumption is increasing, and consumption in developing nations like China and elsewhere in the far east is increasing significantly.

If the crisis isn't here already, it's coming. Why wait for the lines to do something about it? By then, it's too late.

The oil companies are making a difficult problem even worse, but they don't control either the supply or the demand directly. Granted, they do manipulate it for their benefit as needed.

southpawboston

but hybrid technology is not the only solution... look at europe. their average fuel economy is probably close to double that of ours... smaller gas and TDI engines can achieve the same results as hybrids, without the environmental insult caused by battery manufacture and disposal. what i see is a problem is the lack of choice by the auto makers in the US market. why can't i buy the 1.6L engine that mazda offers in europe? i have no choice but to buy the 2.3L engine... because that's all the automaker chose to offer the US market. if we had more engine options, we wouldn't have to rely on hybrid technology to boost the national fuel efficiency average. do we really need 250hp hybrid cars out there?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
but hybrid technology is not the only solution... look at europe. their average fuel economy is probably close to double that of ours... smaller gas and TDI engines can achieve the same results as hybrids, without the environmental insult caused by battery manufacture and disposal. what i see is a problem is the lack of choice by the auto makers in the US market. why can't i buy the 1.6L engine that mazda offers in europe? i have no choice but to buy the 2.3L engine... because that's all the automaker chose to offer the US market. if we had more engine options, we wouldn't have to rely on hybrid technology to boost the national fuel efficiency average. do we really need 250hp hybrid cars out there?

Works for me. I really don't care how you raise the fuel economy requirements. However you do it, it's clear that gains of 25% or much more can be easily achieved with technology that is available today. Yes, it may affect the cost or availability of some powertrain and vehicle options that we have right now. For example, you have to wonder how Europeans manage to get through the day without the big V6s, V8s, 4WD and full size pickups/SUVs that are much more common here. Simple availability may do it for you, but availability of high efficiency engines isn't enough to pull most other people away from their choice of gas guzzlers.

Getting rid of all the exemptions that light trucks get from passenger car fuel economy and safety standards would also be a good start if you prefer to let the market play more of a part in the choice of vehicles and powertrains used to achieve the increase in fuel economy. Take away minivans and crossovers and glorified wagons from the light truck averages and that would force some market changes under the current guidelines.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
What do you vehicle gurus think about the Chevy Volt? Will the battery and fuel cell technology come to fruition for GM to produce it, or will it remain a concept car that is more a publicity stunt to make GM seem more environmentally green? DH, who is so not a car guy, is uncharacteristically excited at the prospect of the Volt. I'm more guarded in my enthusiasm, tempered by the opinions of Car and Driver columnists and other auto writers who are proclaiming the Volt to be "vaporware" and unlikely to ever be produced. (And DH is probably too tall in the torso to actually fit in the Volt, lol).

ETA: Here's a Detroit Free Press news article regarding the Volt - two supplier contract awards for pursuing the lithium ion technology were announced at GM's annual shareholder meeting today: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070605/BUSINESS01/70605017

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC