Question about the Radian. opinions?

mamakc

Would you consider the Radian series a niche seat? As in, there's a specific place or use for it (3 across, for example, or a really heavy <1 year old), but shouldn't be recommended to just anybody? Or would you still recommend it over other options for someone with a petite 2 year old with no other siblings in the works?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I won't necessarily recommend it in every situation, but I feel it's much more than a niche seat for anyone who wants to RF as long as possible.

With the Complete Air's recline requirements and absurdly low height limit (I'm ok maybe ignoring one, not both), the Radian often makes the most sense for people who want to RF kids until 4 or so.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I think of the CCO asw a niche seat, also the Orbit, not the radian. I do not recommend it to everyone. Please must be willing to deal with the seat.

mamakc

I do, personally, see it as a niche seat. However, I would consider rear-facing to 4 a "niche." I think the average child restraint user would be highly likely to use a radian incorrectly, so I personally don't recommend it to friends unless they need something narrow, have a super heavy kid, or want to rf to 4 (have not come across that yet...). I'm really surprised how frequently I see the radian recommended. If the goal is to fit the child, fit the car, and be used correctly every time, I see the radian as one to potentially fail point 2, and likely fail point 3. lol Safe stop? SuperLatch? RF boot? Ratcheting harness?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, SuperLATCH is probably less likely to be misused than regular LATCH (presuming a newer car). SafeStop is weird. The boot is no different than putting any other seat into recline mode. Lots of seats have PITA adjusters.

Jessica61624

I personally think skjp sucks at writing manuals. The xtsl manual left me with a lot of questions. Were the britax manual had all the info I needed. So I agree its more likely to be misused.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
What initially drew us to the Radian was actually its steel frame. It impressed DH. I do happen to need a very narrow seat, but I also just really like how low profile it is. My daughter is petite and will probably fit RF in that seat until middle school (Ok, maybe that's exaggerating) but she loves the Radian. She can flop her tiny little legs over the sides and she just seems so content in it. So in spite of its quirks and strange rules and crazy manual, no, I wouldn't consider it a niche seat. I would recommend it as a decent seat for anybody who could get a good install with it. Installation and initial adjustment is tough, but if it's staying in the car and only getting adjusted once in a while as the child grows, I don't think the potential for misuse is that much higher than with any other seat.

mimieliza

I used to, after hearing all the horror stories about installation. But I just installed an XTSL FFing and 65SL RFing with seat belt in my 1999 Odyssey, and they went in sooooo easily. I would recommend it, but tell parents to "try before you buy," to make sure it is compatible with their cars.

The Complete Air, now that thing is a beast to install RFing. Even ignoring the new guidelines, I needed a pyramid of pool noodles to get any recline at all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC