Britax Multitech II lock offs

U

Unregistered

I think those a great idea and really must help the installation, like the American lock offs we see for example on the Britax Advocate, but so far they have been a real pain in the .... for me. I think it is my car's seat belt, but especially the lap part of the belt gets constantly pinched from one side in half, although just a little bit from it by the lock off opposite the buckle. I don't think that's a big security issue given the whole seat belt will get pretty twisted and narrow in a frontal crash, as I have seen in the crash test videos of that seat, but I am not entirely sure.... What are your opinions on that?

Also, my car's seat belts get locked up themselves to aid the child seat installation. Given that do I still have to use the Multitech's lock offs?

Thank you all for the help.

ADS

scariestone

If your seatbelts are ALR(you pull them all the way out then they "ratchet" back in and stay locked) then you don't have to use the lockoffs. I don't use them because I the way the belts in my car are positioned, I can't get them to lie flat inside the lockoffs so they won't stay closed. So I just lock the seatbelt. You can also install with the belt inside or outside the lockoffs, whichever gives a better install. As for the belt twisting, do you mean bunching? Bunching is fine and doesn't affect safety but twisting does decrease the belt's ability to do its job.

U

Unregistered

Hello,

Thank you very much for the informative responce. I think in my case it is bunching, cause the belt is not actually twisted in half. It just lies very close to the end of the lock off and when I close it, it just pinches the lap belt a little bit. That happens with the lock off opposite the buckle. The thing is the belt below the lock of stays at a weird angle and is a bit loose, wheter the belt after the lock off, below the seat's cover is quite tight and the installation is overall solid. I just saw that someone posted a similar picture here a while ago- here's the link

http://s332.photobucket.com/albums/m325/gsdguenter/?action=view&current=DSC01788.jpg

Mine is like that, just a little bit more

But are you possitive this seat can be used without the lock off, given the belts are ALR? This goes against the manual. Are you also sure the role of these lock offs is the same as the ones in the US where they actually aid you to tension the belt?

Thank you.

scariestone

The picture is exactly what my belts do in the lockoffs except mine are worse to the point that the lockoffs won't stay closed. Not using the lockoffs isn't actually contrary to the manual, its just not shown. Its confusing, I know. The reason I was told they don't bother showing it with a locking belt is that most cars in Europe don't have locking seatbelts. I honestly have no idea if the lockoffs on the multitech are the same as US lockoffs as I've never owned a US seat with them. The ones on the multitech are the only ones I've ever worked with. I just checked with the person that sold it to me to make sure it was ok. He is on here as AdventureDad if you want to contact him.

U

Unregistered

Thank you very much for your help. I truly appreciate it. It took me some time to respond as I contacted Britax these days and I'd wanted to share their response. This is a citation from Britax Europe customer support:

"You must fit the product using the lock offs and how the instructions advise.

Not doing so is not safe and would be extremely dangerous if the product was involved in an impact.

Kind regards

Becky"

I guess there's no chance that they would have responded something else, but still makes you wonder.

scariestone

It actually doesn't make me wonder, I guess I'm a rebel. :p Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Using the lockoffs is not an option for me as they don't even stay closed but if you can get your belts to lie flat enough to fit in them and you're more comfortable with that then that's your best option. The person I bought the seat from doesn't work for britax. He just sells Swedish seats and has a lot of experience with them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC