Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: RSTV

RSTV

Would this be a good option for my 6yr. old? How does it work. I need a 3 across in my 3rd row with one in a FF harness seat, 1 in seatbelt and then my 6yr. old.
    Erica: CPST. Mom to 5 beautiful Children: Roberto(17.5)Seat belt, Marayah(13)Seat belt, Dauntae(7.5)Bubble Bum, Connext LBB, Literider LBB, Turbo LBB, Keiani(5) Pkwy HBB, Affix HBB, Amp HBB, Santiago(3)Frontier85

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: RSTV

It's a wearable booster seat. It is a vest with belt guides on it to properly position the lap belt, and shoulder belt if the vehicle has a shoulder belt. If the vehicle does not have a shoulder belt, upper torso restraint is provided by the top tether instead.

Does your center rear position have a shoulder belt? A top tether anchor?
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

My 3rd row center is lap belt only with a TA on the back of the seat. I am thinking of putting my DD in that position in her FF harness seat and then my DS next to her with the RSTV with the lap/shoulder belt.
    Erica: CPST. Mom to 5 beautiful Children: Roberto(17.5)Seat belt, Marayah(13)Seat belt, Dauntae(7.5)Bubble Bum, Connext LBB, Literider LBB, Turbo LBB, Keiani(5) Pkwy HBB, Affix HBB, Amp HBB, Santiago(3)Frontier85

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Is that the only top tether? I'd probably reverse that. One, because the RSTV has GREAT head excursion numbers (they post them on the site, and you can watch crash tests), and two, because the RSTV is a wearable five point harness, but it doesn't have a shell of its own. Studies have shown that an unshelled child sitting between shells receives SIP from the carseats around it. So I'd probably put an RSTV child in the middle and carseats on either side.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas
    Is that the only top tether? I'd probably reverse that. One, because the RSTV has GREAT head excursion numbers (they post them on the site, and you can watch crash tests), and two, because the RSTV is a wearable five point harness, but it doesn't have a shell of its own. Studies have shown that an unshelled child sitting between shells receives SIP from the carseats around it. So I'd probably put an RSTV child in the middle and carseats on either side.

Wendy
    You'll need adequate head protection (seatback or head restraint at least to eye level) too.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

I thought about putting him in the middle but the instructions state that there must be a headrest or the top of the seat back must be above his ears and it is not and there is no head rest in that position.