Is Britax boulevard safer than frontier?

mommyandkai

Hello,

My 2.5 year old son is 38 inches tall and 37 pounds. He is in the Britax Boulevard right now. I know this may sound frivolous, but every time we are in the car he says he wants a car seat like his 5 year old brother. His older brother is in the Frontier. We have a frontier we bought in 2008 when our 5 year old was 3 that we can use for our 2 year old.

My 5 year old is in frontier we bought a month ago because it has higher height limits, he is 67 pounds and 49 inches tall. I guess looking back maybe the radian xtsl would have been a better choice.

Any thoughts is the boulevard safer than the frontier?

Thanks

ADS

gsdguenter

Well, all seats must pass the same crash testing (which by the way is not released to the public with the exception of SKJP) so it's impossible to say if one seat if "safer" than another. I believe the saying is that any seat that fits your child, is used correctly, and installed correctly is the right match. So, no I wouldn't say the Frontier is safer than the BLVD.

What is it about the Frontier he likes? Is his older brother using it in harness or booster mode?

If you have money to spare and it won't be an inconvenience than you could certainly get YDS a Frontier so he could have the same seat as his brother, but make sure at his age he is still harnessed (the little one that is). Heck, if you could rf him I would, but at 2.5 its more of a parental choice than under 2 yrs. when they really need to be rfing.

actuallyamanda

If your 2.5yr old is already FFing and you plan to keep him that way, then yes, the Frontier is just as safe as the Boulevard as long as he fits in it properly. If the Boulevard fits him better then I would leave him in it until he gets a little bigger.

And no, I personally dont think the xtsl would have been a better choice for your 5yr old. One advantage the Frontier has over it is that it can be used as a regular booster once he outgrows the harness. You cant do that on a Radian seat!

mommyandkai

My two year old is forward facing, he outgrew the Boulevards rear facing capabilities. My five year old is still in the 5 point harness, that is why we bought a brand new one opposed to using the one from 2008. He was about 1/2 inch from outgrowing the 5 point harness of the 2008 frontier, so we bought the 2011 version so he could stay in the five point harness mode. I want them both in 5 point harness as long as possible. They are just very tall for their age.

My youngest especially likes that his older brother's frontier seat is red and has built in cup holders. We tried buying cup holders for the window, but they kept falling. The fact that my youngest does not have cup holders results in crying with every trip.

His safety is more important than his desire for a cup holder that is why I ask.

Thanks so much,

Kari

gsdguenter

Well, if it won't inconvenience you then I'd say why not get the Frontier. But, it is an expensive seat to get just because he wants it, kwim. I'd actually wait until he outgrows the BLVD ffing and then see what new seats are out at that time. :twocents:

Lemonade

Since you already have it, use it. At that size, while he still fits in the BLVD, he may feel more comfortable in the FR. I have the older FRs, used to have a BLVD, and have a radian XTSL:) At this point, I definitely wouldn't bother trying a radian. My small 5 yr old still has about an inch or two or torso room in the radian xtsl but he does not like it and prefers his FRs in a huge way.

bnsnyde

We've used the Frontier85 (regular model) and Radian and Advocate (like the BLVD). All had good points.

I decided we didn't yet need the harness height of the Frontier (yet), and I liked the steel frame of the Radian, so my 4-year-old is in that still.

I know all seats pass the same tests. But when it comes to side-impact I like to kick the seats around in the store and really play with them. I guess it comes down to what seems best to me as a mom for side-impact.
I liked the steel bar of my Advocates and the side pillows, so I went with that. It is an easy seat to use RF.

I do plan to use the Frontier, or whatever is available at the time, once my kids need the harness height. But, not seeing anything that jumped out as awesome side impact protection on that, I stuck with the Radian and Advocates. The new FrontierSICT is something I'd be willing to use in the future, but who knows what will be out then!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC