Just turned 3 y/o in a backless and 22 m/o in a....

CandCfam

Century OHS seat that was manufactured in 11-1999
I am just sick to my stomach.

Same family.

A couple months ago they had the girl who just turned 3 today in the front seat in her backless booster. I said something to my DH about it when I saw it, and he said something to the dad. They did move her to the back seat at least.:(

Today though, we're at the 3 y/o's birthday party at the park and I see the OHS that they took out of the car because the 22 month old was asleep when they got there, and I HAD to look at the DOM. I was :eek: when I saw that, coupled with the fact that it's an OHS, and the JUST turned 3 Y/O that has been in a backless booster for months.

I asked the dad if he knew the seat was expired and he was very flippant about it, compared it to expired mayonnaise, to which I asked him if he'd seen a crash test of an expired seat. Again, he compared to the mayo.
I said, no, more like harness ripping out of the shell, ejection of the seat and likely the car. He at least asked me HOW expired it was - so I told him about the 6 year expiration from DOM, and even recommended the 5 point Scenera. I think he thinks I'm nuts though.

I WANT to address this with them again, and I think I will talk to the mom (well, more likely email) this time, and probably also copy the dad the information.
I don't want to overwhelm them, but they just have SUCH gross misuse going on with both children right now, that I can't just not say anything further.

What would you recommend I send to them? I have all the links and info, but again, I don't want to overwhelm them.

Most important:
1) the fact that the 3 Y/O, who I HIGHLY doubt is 30 lbs even - she's a peanut, should NOT be in a backless booster.

2) the expired car seat

3) the safety of extended RF (I think this will DEFINITELY fall on deaf ears)

4) the minimum of 4 years and 40 lbs to move into a belt positioning booster seat.

I feel like I'm babbling, but seeing all this this afternoon has me absolutely sick to my stomach.

ETA: If I thought they'd be open to it, I'd go RIGHT NOW and accrue debt to buy their children appropriate seats.

ADS

mominabigtruck

I would also be concerned about if they can take an ohs seat out of the car without waking a sleeping child, exactly how is it installed?

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I would also be concerned about if they can take an ohs seat out of the car without waking a sleeping child, exactly how is it installed?

I thought the same thing immediately.

I don't think I would even venture towards the RFing issue. If they were that flippant about the expiration, then I doubt they'd care. HOWEVER, if you talk to mom, and she's totally appreciative and genuwinely upset about how fatal their actions were, THEN maybe I'd say something like "really, the safest for a small child is rearfacing", and go into the benefits. But again, I think if you throw too much "radical" ideas at them (I see the dad especially TOTALLY disregarding you if you mention ERF), then they might disregard everything, YKWIM?

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Um, personally I wouldn't want to eat expired Mayo...do you know what it's MADE from? :thumbsdown: It's basically a suspension of egg & oil...ew. Maybe you should have told him that heat/cold makes the plastics degrade over time...kind of like leaving macaroni salad out in the sun and then putting it back in the fridge...would he want to eat THAT? Double ew.

(Ok, so I don't like Mayo that's NOT expired either because it just grosses me out, but that's beside the point...:whistle: )

Last edited:

CandCfam

Ugh, I woke up at 3 Am thinking about these kids, and could not rest after that.

The fact that the dad was comparing his child's expired safety seat to mayo, just has me frustrated/upset/sad.

I have NO idea how they have/had the seat installed, but going by what little I've seen, I doubt very seriously that it was/is/ever has been installed correctly.

Then there is the 3 Y/O - who MIGHT be 30 lbs - I doubt it though - she's such a peanut, and they have her in a backless booster. :(

I'm going to try to put an email together today to send them with crash tests and info on the minimum recommended age and weight to harness.

If they are completely adamant they want a booster for the 3 Y/O, do you think the HB Turbobooster is suitable (provided she's at least 30 lbs)?

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
If they are completely adamant they want a booster for the 3 Y/O, do you think the HB Turbobooster is suitable (provided she's at least 30 lbs)?

Yeah, the TB is a good seat. I had my 3yo in a HB TB *on occasion* in his grandma's car and he always stayed positioned properly, and he's never complained that it wasn't comfy.

jennsmile

Yes the Turbo booster HB is a good seat. I used it for my 30lb tall 3 year old. Then later he got a regent. I would teach them to lock the seatbelt at least. I wish I had know about that earlier.

Jenn

scatterbunny

Here's Hayley in the highback Turbo at 3.5 years old, 42 inches and 41 pounds (big for a 3.5yo):

February182005083.jpg

It fits some 3yos well, but not all. Hopefully this 3yo is long in the torso. Any highback will be better than the backless, though!

MySillyKids

Jenny, she looks so teeny! (and cute).

I had my 3y/o DS in a HB TB for like a month before i got him another seat in my mom's car. He fit well, and sat nicely.

amyg530

i agree that trying to explain ERF might just fall on deaf ears, i would suggest telling them about the scenera b/c for 2 it would only be $80 or if they're still on sale at biglots $60 (assuming that the 3yo is under 40#)
i dont know what the OHS seat is but if you can at least get them from an expired seat and a backless booster to 2 5-pt seats then i think that would be a definate improvement
i FF my DS at 9 months b/c i was a moron but turned him back RF at 22 months but i dont think many people are open to re-RF i realize now that ERF is better but i think FF in a new seat vs a old seat is "good enough" KWIM, you can only expect so much from people

CandCfam

UPDATING on this family!!

I was able to talk the family into getting the now 2 Y/O out of his expired OHS seat and into a 5 point Scenera, AND I think I've talked the mom into turning him Rf again. He is 2 Y/O today, is 26 lbs and would be on the 2nd set of slots down when RF, but is on the top slot FF - so I think she's going to turn him RF again, since his head is far enough down to allow it.:thumbsup: OH, and she was excited about RF him again because he can sleep more comfortably. :thumbsup:

And they've got the 3 Y/O in a combo seat now.:thumbsup:

I've been talking to them alot the last few days about this as they are moving, and need child care, I told them I'd watch the kids for free if they got the kids into appropriate seats.

I found out that they've been machine washing the 3 Y/O's harness though.:eek:

I've stressed the importance of harnessing until at least 4 Y/O and 40 lbs, and how longer is better, and both parents have been receptive to all the information about why RF is safer and proper use of booster seats.

Anyway, i just wanted to share the good news (and I feel like I'm rambling this morning, so if what I just typed doesn't make sense, um, I'll try to fix it later).
:)

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

I was able to talk the family into getting the now 2 Y/O out of his expired OHS seat and into a 5 point Scenera, AND I think I've talked the mom into turning him Rf again. He is 2 Y/O today, is 26 lbs and would be on the 2nd set of slots down when RF, but is on the top slot FF - so I think she's going to turn him RF again, since his head is far enough down to allow it.:thumbsup: OH, and she was excited about RF him again because he can sleep more comfortably. :thumbsup:

I've been talking to them alot the last few days about this as they are moving, and need child care, I told them I'd watch the kids for free if they got the kids into appropriate seats.

I've stressed the importance of harnessing until at least 4 Y/O and 40 lbs, and how longer is better, and both parents have been receptive to all the information about why RF is safer and proper use of booster seats.

Anyway, i just wanted to share the good news (and I feel like I'm rambling this morning, so if what I just typed doesn't make sense, um, I'll try to fix it later).

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Great job!!!

AWESOME!!! It's a wonderful feeling when you know you made a difference!!! :love: Just thing-- if you hadn't said anything, nothing would have changed to make these kids safer. GREAT JOB!!! :thumbsup:

Tiffanie

Awesome!!! :thumbsup::D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC