What vehicle for Family of 5?

cfrith5

Okay, so I know a minivan would be the best choice. I just turned in my Odyssey after 3 yrs. It was very nice. BUT...I hate being a minivan mom. Before the Ody I had a couple different Pilots and really liked them, except when I had to sit in the second or third row. Not very comfortable at all. Plus we had the Pilots when we only had 2 kids. We now have 3 kids, ages 3, 9, and 12. I want the kids to be comfortable, but I don't want a minivan. I was very excited after seeing the inside of the GMC Acadia with 2nd row captain chairs. But then I started researching and there have been TONS of problems with them. They do not seem reliable. We are no longer going to lease. We are going to be buying maybe an 08 - 09. We want to keep it under $25k. I just don't know what vehicle to get. I almost feel like a sedan (Accord) would be more comfortable seating than some of these SUV's. But I hate to put 3 growing kids in one row. Thoughts? Ideas? Thank you!!!!!!

ADS

Mirandagrate

We have an 09 Outlook, which is the Saturn version of the Acadia and we LOVE it!! We have two benches instead of captains chairs.. It's been super reliable and fun and comfortable.. Plus, I have all 3 kids rear facing in the middle row! I have two Radians outboard and a Recaro Signo in the middle! :) We LOVE IT! In fact, when we go to get another car we want to trade it in on a newer Acadia! :)

cfrith5

We have an 09 Outlook, which is the Saturn version of the Acadia and we LOVE it!! We have two benches instead of captains chairs.. It's been super reliable and fun and comfortable.. Plus, I have all 3 kids rear facing in the middle row! I have two Radians outboard and a Recaro Signo in the middle! :) We LOVE IT! In fact, when we go to get another car we want to trade it in on a newer Acadia! :)

Having bigger kids I like the idea (I think) of the captain chairs in the 2nd row as some of the Acadia's have. I'm just so worried to get a used one with all the bad reviews I've found when I google "Acadia problems". There are tons of people on the Edmunds forums with problems from 2007 to present.

Dawn

We traded in at a loss our 09 Saturn Outlook because of all the issues it started to have at 30k miles. We had major engine work done(recall and warranty covered), gas mileage dropped to 12 mpg. 3 visits to the dealership and they couldn't figured it out. Broken arm rest welds as well. There is a facebook page about Saturn-GM Outlook & Acadia lemons.

Melanie

If you don't mind the boxy style, Ford Flex is a good option. Second and third rows have lots of room. My 6'3" hubby even fits in the third row. The cargo area has a well like a minivan so there's a decent amount of cargo space with the third row up. It's 6 passenger with captain's chairs in the 2nd row and 7 passenger with bench second row. Even the base model has lots of bells and whistles.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
A brand new Kia Sorento LX 4-cylinder, 2WD with the third row seat and convenience packages should be well under 25k street price. Plus, you get better than average fuel economy for a 3-row vehicle. It isn't going to be as big as an Acadia and I can't comment on reliability, but the safety ratings are reasonably good at least!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC