Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

What vehicle for Family of 5?

Okay, so I know a minivan would be the best choice. I just turned in my Odyssey after 3 yrs. It was very nice. BUT...I hate being a minivan mom. Before the Ody I had a couple different Pilots and really liked them, except when I had to sit in the second or third row. Not very comfortable at all. Plus we had the Pilots when we only had 2 kids. We now have 3 kids, ages 3, 9, and 12. I want the kids to be comfortable, but I don't want a minivan. I was very excited after seeing the inside of the GMC Acadia with 2nd row captain chairs. But then I started researching and there have been TONS of problems with them. They do not seem reliable. We are no longer going to lease. We are going to be buying maybe an 08 - 09. We want to keep it under $25k. I just don't know what vehicle to get. I almost feel like a sedan (Accord) would be more comfortable seating than some of these SUV's. But I hate to put 3 growing kids in one row. Thoughts? Ideas? Thank you!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: What vehicle for Family of 5?

We have an 09 Outlook, which is the Saturn version of the Acadia and we LOVE it!! We have two benches instead of captains chairs.. It's been super reliable and fun and comfortable.. Plus, I have all 3 kids rear facing in the middle row! I have two Radians outboard and a Recaro Signo in the middle! We LOVE IT! In fact, when we go to get another car we want to trade it in on a newer Acadia!

DD 5-17-06, 42" 40lbs RF in a Petal XTSL
    DS 3-7-08, 37" 35lbs RF in a Nitro XTSL
    DS 6-16-10 30" 26lbs RF in a Recaro Signo

Quote Originally Posted by Mirandagrate View Post
    We have an 09 Outlook, which is the Saturn version of the Acadia and we LOVE it!! We have two benches instead of captains chairs.. It's been super reliable and fun and comfortable.. Plus, I have all 3 kids rear facing in the middle row! I have two Radians outboard and a Recaro Signo in the middle! We LOVE IT! In fact, when we go to get another car we want to trade it in on a newer Acadia!

Having bigger kids I like the idea (I think) of the captain chairs in the 2nd row as some of the Acadia's have. I'm just so worried to get a used one with all the bad reviews I've found when I google "Acadia problems". There are tons of people on the Edmunds forums with problems from 2007 to present.

Carseat Crazy

We traded in at a loss our 09 Saturn Outlook because of all the issues it started to have at 30k miles. We had major engine work done(recall and warranty covered), gas mileage dropped to 12 mpg. 3 visits to the dealership and they couldn't figured it out. Broken arm rest welds as well. There is a facebook page about Saturn-GM Outlook & Acadia lemons.
    ~Dawn~~Mommy of 4 ~~
    Liz 16
    Tabitha 15
    William 13
    Abigail 8-Harmony booster

Carseat Crazy

If you don't mind the boxy style, Ford Flex is a good option. Second and third rows have lots of room. My 6'3" hubby even fits in the third row. The cargo area has a well like a minivan so there's a decent amount of cargo space with the third row up. It's 6 passenger with captain's chairs in the 2nd row and 7 passenger with bench second row. Even the base model has lots of bells and whistles.

A brand new Kia Sorento LX 4-cylinder, 2WD with the third row seat and convenience packages should be well under 25k street price. Plus, you get better than average fuel economy for a 3-row vehicle. It isn't going to be as big as an Acadia and I can't comment on reliability, but the safety ratings are reasonably good at least!