Help me puzzle, pretty please!

Ladyl

Tomorrow MIL and I are taking the kids a tromping off for some adventures (ok we're just going to a Scottish festival and a graduation party:p). She's picking us up and we'll have several two hour chunks of car riding over three days. She sprung it on me that fil will probably be along for at least part of this. So now I have to figure out how to fit seats next to each other so an adult can fit in tback seat.:rolleyes:

She drives a Hond Accord (2004?). At my disposal have these seats:
2 MAs
Radian
scenera
TrueFit
Nautilus
TurboBooster

So, obviously some of these are out for width issues. My four year old does not fit in MAs or the scenera. Ideally I'd like to rf my two year old, but would forward face him for the trip if absolutely necessary.

I know I've read that MAs and Radians puzzle well, but is that if they are
facing The same direction? There is a very slight chance that I could rf my four year old, but he doesn't have much shell above his head in the the radian(I'd have to check to how much) and is hovering around 43lbs and don't have a scale here. Hmm, but mil might be able to bring hers.

What do you all think my best bet is here?

ADS

Ladyl

Darn, my iPad won't let me edit. I wanted to say, that even though I listed the turbo, DS1 is no way ready to sit in it for the length of time we will be in the car. Not sure why I listed it....

Ladyl

Ok I think I'm going to use the Radian and MA.

Now a new question. I really want to keep my littler guy rfing, but I also am sure there will be a ton of fighting if he is rfing next to his ffing brother. They already poke each other with the empty seat between them :rolleyes:. So I'm considering having him ff if they have to be next to each other. I think that I'll probably flip flop him back and forth depending how many people are in the car for each leg of the trip. Is this reasonable?

Funny how his big brother was full time ffing at this age, but I cringe thinking about turning him, even temporarily.

aeormsby

If it's only part of the time that you need an adult to fit in the back seat would it be a huge hassle to move the center seat outboard when there isn't an adult back there? I'd probably do that before I FF'd a 2yo. I would think with an adult in the back with them the tormenting would be toned down. (I know what you mean though, I always had my kids side by side until DD turned FF, it just didn't work when they could kick each other).

Ladyl

I also concerned about fitting the seats next to each other when facing opposite ways. I'll se how it works out. I really don't want to forward face him, but I also want to make 100% sure the seats are independently secure. I've put a MA and an RA next to each other before, and I think I may have fudged with how well they were actually installed. I'd rather have him in a correctly installed ffing seat than and almost correctly installed rfing seat.

sunnymw

Ma and RN puzzle better than two britax convertibles.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Car-Seat.Org... please excuse typos and autocorrect!!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
In my 98 Honda, a Radian and Marathon won't fit next to eachother unless they are the same direction. BUT I have put a FF Marathon next to a RF Radian in a Nissan Pathfinder and they worked.

I have also put a RF True Fit next to a FF Radian and that worked.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Wow! That may have made my day! I can not imagine anything puzzling with a Truefit, but it is my favorite seat!

I should say that was in a bigger car though - a Mazda CX9 - I can also fit a MyRide and a Marathon there next to the Truefit so I dunno how much puzzling it necessarily was - though I was able to do the Radian with LATCH and I always have to do the other seats with seatbelts. It's my best friend's car so I've put a bazillion different seats in there between mine and hers and her big family of nieces and nephews and our friends.

Ladyl

Whew! Well, fil didn't come to pick us up, though we thought he might ride with us later, so I installed the radian and ma and threw the nautilus that mil owns in the trunk. Good thing I did! Halfway through our second two hour drive Owen puked all over his seat. We were able to switch out the seats after cleaning him up. I'm not sure what we would have otherwise done!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC