Question Mazda 5 Questions

webMistress

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster.

We need to get a more family friendly vehicle fairly quickly. I've been eyeing the Mazda 5 for awhile as I'm in denial about how big of a car we need. ;) Now that baby #2 seems to be coming sooner rather than later though, I'm realizing I need to be more realistic about cargo, but budget wise the 5 is really where we need to be. So here's the low down:

DS is 24 months old, RFing in a Recaro Signo. SD is 13 & is only in my car maybe once or twice a month, a little more during the summer. We're TTC currently & I think I may have gotten lucky this month - darn that 2 week wait for testing! LOL.

So, a few questions:

1. With the 3rd seat up, it appears from searching this forum that I can squeeze a BJCM double back there standing up/wheels off. Is that all wheels off or just the front? & will the stroller be riding above the top edge of the seat? I'm sure my sullen, teenage SD will not appreciate having the stroller right in her face.

2. 98% of the time I could ride with the 3rd seat down to accommodate a double stroller & groceries, etc. But I'm concerned about the items becoming projectiles. Is there a good way to safely haul this stuff?

3. In the case of 3rd seat up/double stroller in back, is there room for 1-2 grocery bags?

Thanks for your help!

ADS

LuvBug

Did you get any help on this? I'm thinking it may be better suited in the stroller area of this forum.

Or could you take the stroller to a dealer and try it out?

chay

Welcome!

1. Don't know, I've never had a double stroller. I had a single and I usually wore DD and DS walked or occasionally went in the single stroller or else DD would go in the stroller while DS walked. Once DD was old enough to sit up then I also had the option of having her sit in the stroller while DS rode on the back (it was a Peg Pliko 3 so there was a little step on the back). To be honest, DD lived in my Babyhawk/sling and my stroller rarely left the house.

2. I have 2 cargo nets. One is tight for smaller things or when I don't have much stuff, the other is looser for bigger things. I like always having them there and just being able to tuck things under without constantly adjusting them. It is a challenge to secure the nets with half of the 3rd seat up however. It works great when you have both down or both up but with both up you don't have much room for cargo (like a couple of gym bags would max you out).

3. If you want the whole back seat up and a double behind it then - no there won't be room for anything else. If you have half of the back seat up, half down then yes but then you will have fun securing cargo nets but you could probably figure something out.

I love my Mazda 5 but I also wouldn't completely rule out doing 2 narrow car seats and an occasional 3 across in a sedan.

Good luck!

amyd

The BJCMD does indeed fit behind the third row. All 4 of the wheels need to come off but they come off and go back on so easily that it's really not an issue. We're talking 30 seconds extra set up and break down time getting the stroller in and out. The handle of the stroller comes up above the seat back but well behind the headrests so it wouldn't be in your daughter's face unless she was turned facing the back. Visibility out the back isn't awesome with the stroller in there but I don't feel it's unsafe either. There really isn't much room for groceries if the stroller's in. Maybe a bag or 2. I generally put a bag on the floor behind my rear-facer.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC