issue with xtsl from strollers.com

laudymama

Ok, so I finally got to fully inspect my super good deal xtsl yesterday and here are my "issues"…..

1) the seat itself has dom 10/10 and the harness straps are dom 8/10 but the latch straps are also dated 10/10. I have never seen a seat that dated every piece individually. Is this normal and do I just follow the earliest date since they are what holds the child in the seat? I know it's only a few months difference but thought it was weird.

2) I adjusted everything to fit ds and then went to move the headwings down to above his shoulders since he is on the 3rd slot. They didn't move particularly easy but neither did the one in the store I played with so I didn't think much of it and still tried to be very careful. After adjusted, the cover looked all bunched up between the wings so I was looking around and noticed the cover wasn't attached completely on one side under the wing (I did have extreme difficulty getting it to fit right-maybe this is normal as well?). In my attempts to velcro it together properly I looked inside and noticed a piece of foam was partially detached. I don't know how to describe this well so bear with me…..Right underneath the headwing on what would be the back of the seat there is a square-ish piece of foam that fits inside the rest of the foam right under/beside the wing. It had glue all around the edges but was not completely "fit" inside its spot and upon touching it came out completely. The other side is intact. I was able to squeeze it back in but am not totally sure this is ok! I am worried yet not at the same time if this makes sense!

3) the shoulder strap attachment bag was opened, do you think this seat was actually a used/returned seat??

It totally looks like no one had touched it. If ANYTHING, someone tried their kid in it with all the tags attached and decided they didn't like it from what I can tell looking at it. What do you all think? It said no returns:(

ADS

rachelandtyke

1) different components have different doms and that is normal, you go by the overall dom for the seat

2) I think it's OK, but don't know much about Radians, so someone else can chime in.

3) no clue, but I guess it's always a risk when you get an open box seat? But unless you are a car seat geek, must seats that have been used, you can tell. Most people don't keep them spotless like lots of us do. :p

bnsnyde

I have a brand new one in Shadow made last week or so, and that foam part you mention came out on mine too.

So I didn't think it was anything specifically wrong. At any rate, it isn't something that just happened to your seat, as if happened to mine too.

babygirlsmom1005

Mine had that weird foam thing as well that came out, maybe it was to make sure about the head wings not getting damaged in transit? IDK

bnsnyde

Can you please let me know what is normal with the headrest? I did contact SK but no response yet. Now I'm going crazy! :)

My brand new seat, I put the headrest all the way up. But it won't stay all the way up. It slips down a bit.
I can go to the back of the carseat and push it up all the way, but it slips again.

Am I putting it too high? Maybe it's not meant to go that high? I wanted maximum harness height for my child.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Can you please let me know what is normal with the headrest? I did contact SK but no response yet. Now I'm going crazy! :)

My brand new seat, I put the headrest all the way up. But it won't stay all the way up. It slips down a bit.
I can go to the back of the carseat and push it up all the way, but it slips again.

Am I putting it too high? Maybe it's not meant to go that high? I wanted maximum harness height for my child.

normal... the harness holds it up at each level... stupid design IMO

laudymama

Thanks guys for all the input....I don't feel so bad about not being worried now! DS has so much more room above his head to grow in this than his advocate!

Brigala

CPST Instructor

Maybe. It is possible to pull the head rest up past the top notch, and then it will settle back down to the next setting.

I used to pull my head wings all the way up to the top, and then when it settled back down it covered the top harness slots. I emailed SKJP about it, and this was the result (read from the bottom):
Elizabeth,
We can send a replacement headrest and that will fix this issue. I will just need the date of manufacture and serial number as well as your shipping address. Please find attached, the instructions for replacement...it should only take about 3 minutes to do :)

Best regards-

Alia Jacobs-Lake
Customer Service

Sunshine Kids
3104 142nd Ave. East
Suite 105
Sumner, WA 98390
Tel: 253-859-5700 ext 126- Fax: 253-859-5800
Email: alia.lake@skjp.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 3:46 PM
To: Alia Lake
Subject: Re: Customer Support Enquiry

No, it won't stay above the top slots. I am only trying to get the head rest up just high enough to thread the harness through the top slots. Once that is done (after a lot of wrestling) I can get the harness through the slots but then the head rest falls back down and pushes on the harness, making it uncomfortable for the child sitting in the seat.

This is the first time I've noticed the problem because the kids I've had in the seat previously have been shorter and I haven't needed to access the top slots. My own baby is still in her infant seat; I use the Radian for the children I babysit.

I purchased the seat in March of this year from Diapers.com, so I've had it for about 8 months.

On Nov 15, 2010, at 3:02 PM, Alia Lake wrote:

Dear Elizabeth,
It sounds like you may be pushing the head wings too far up. There is an area about 3/8" above the tallest position for the XT head rest called the 'dead stop' < additional plastic that prevents the head rest from adjusting up/out of the seat. The head rest is not designed to stay in this 'dead-stop' position. So if you push the head rest all the way to the very top - as far as it will go, it may/it will drop down about 3/8".

Will it stay in position just above the top harness slot? How long have you had your seat? When did this problem begin happening?

Best regards-

Alia Jacobs-Lake
Customer Service

Sunshine Kids
3104 142nd Ave. East
Suite 105
Sumner, WA 98390
Tel: 253-859-5700 ext 126- Fax: 253-859-5800
Email: alia.lake@skjp.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:30 PM
To: US Sales
Subject: Customer Support Enquiry

Re: Product Questions
subject: head rest on xtsl
message: Hi! I have a Radian XTSL and I\'m having trouble with the head rest. It\'s very very difficult to move into the highest position, and once there, it tends to fall down again and push on the straps when they\'re in the top slot. I am currently using the seat for a child who is big enough to need the top slots. I\'m constantly having to wrestle the head rest back up into the top position.

How do I make it stay in the top position?

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Does this sound like it might be the same issue you're having? When I got the new head wings I found that the new one did not have a "lip" of foam that extended down past the plastic shell of the head wings. The old one had a lip that extended down half an inch or so. It was this foam that was covering the top harness slots.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC