Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Community Member krasota's Avatar

Never been happier to lug a seat around

I flew from Philly to Detroit yesterday. DS and I were supposed to fly on to Indy. Well, the second leg got delayed later and later. And then cancelled.

I got on the phone with customer service and there just weren't any more flights. (Well, there was one, but I had ten minutes to get from Concourse C to one of the far ends of Concourse A. With carry-ons and a 4yo. YEAH, not.)

Anyhow, I ended up having my itinerary terminated in Detroit and my return flight rebooked to eliminate the indy-detroit leg of my flight to Richmond, VA,next week. My luggage was already on that next flight to Indy, of course, because that's how baggage handlers roll.

I did not want to deal with a potentially asthma-triggering hotel and a bad night's sleep and then another full day of travel with a 4yo.

My bag is now being sent to South Bend via Detroit. The first three morning flights from Indy to Detroit are *all* delayed. The first flight from Detroit to SB is also delayed. I'm not sure I'll see my bag today. Stormy weather.

I'm so, so glad I lug that Scenera on board with me. I wouldn't check or rent a seat, anyway, but imagine how much more complicated it would have been to be stuck at the Detroit airpot with no seat. While I dealt with customer service, my husband cancelled my Indy car rental and rebooked a Detroit rental. This made my decision to change my trip much less complicated. I knew I could drive to northern Indiana just as easily from Detroit as from Indy.

If it had been checked, it would've been on that flight to Indy. I suppose some folks gate check, but I don't see the point in lugging something through an airport just to gate check it. That's just inconvenient. And I wouldn't gate check a carseat, anyhow.
    Ronan (04/07) five steps!
    Aenea (03/12) FF RXT

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Never been happier to lug a seat around

Quote Originally Posted by krasota View Post

If it had been checked, it would've been on that flight to Indy. I suppose some folks gate check, but I don't see the point in lugging something through an airport just to gate check it. That's just inconvenient. And I wouldn't gate check a carseat, anyhow.
    The one time I gate checked a car seat (and stroller) -- they were NOT waiting for us at the connecting airport. They got checked through to the end airport (and lost. Didn't get there until nearly 12 hours after we did) had to scramble to figure out a car seat. Got lucky.

Never did that again.

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)
    DS (08/07) ~ 8 ~ 52 pound ~ Graco Highback Turbobooster -- 3rd Grade!
    DD (08/11) ~ 4 yr ~ 32 lb ~ Britax Roundabout 50, Maestro -- Pre-K!

5. Thank You from:

Delta says they only do e-vouchers for refunds. I'm pushing for a refund to my credit card.
    Aenea (03/12) FF RXT

CPS Fanatic

Another good reason to keep car seats with you on the plane! Thank you for sharing.

Melanie

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

I've never been in that exact situation, but I've had it where our ride didn't show up at the end, and we ended up in a taxi. So yeah, I always want a seat with me. Not a trusted seat in my husband's car (he was our ride). And just in case we end up not where we thought, I want our options open.

Glad it all worked out, except for your luggage!

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Quote Originally Posted by krasota View Post
    Delta says they only do e-vouchers for refunds. I'm pushing for a refund to my credit card.
    Contact your CC company and file a dispute if you have to. You paid for a service you did not receive.
    DS1 3.24.10 riding in a Frontier 90 in booster mode and a Cybex M-Fix.
    DS2 1.18.14 rear facing in a Foonf and a Fllo.

Quote Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
    Contact your CC company and file a dispute if you have to. You paid for a service you did not receive.
    Oh, I'll do that if I have to. I'm going to research and see if the e-voucher can be applied to the baggage fee for my return flight. If not, I'll push for a real refund.
    Aenea (03/12) FF RXT