Never been happier to lug a seat around

krasota

I flew from Philly to Detroit yesterday. DS and I were supposed to fly on to Indy. Well, the second leg got delayed later and later. And then cancelled.

I got on the phone with customer service and there just weren't any more flights. (Well, there was one, but I had ten minutes to get from Concourse C to one of the far ends of Concourse A. With carry-ons and a 4yo. YEAH, not.)

Anyhow, I ended up having my itinerary terminated in Detroit and my return flight rebooked to eliminate the indy-detroit leg of my flight to Richmond, VA,next week. My luggage was already on that next flight to Indy, of course, because that's how baggage handlers roll.

I did not want to deal with a potentially asthma-triggering hotel and a bad night's sleep and then another full day of travel with a 4yo.

My bag is now being sent to South Bend via Detroit. The first three morning flights from Indy to Detroit are *all* delayed. The first flight from Detroit to SB is also delayed. I'm not sure I'll see my bag today. Stormy weather.

I'm so, so glad I lug that Scenera on board with me. I wouldn't check or rent a seat, anyway, but imagine how much more complicated it would have been to be stuck at the Detroit airpot with no seat. While I dealt with customer service, my husband cancelled my Indy car rental and rebooked a Detroit rental. This made my decision to change my trip much less complicated. I knew I could drive to northern Indiana just as easily from Detroit as from Indy.

If it had been checked, it would've been on that flight to Indy. I suppose some folks gate check, but I don't see the point in lugging something through an airport just to gate check it. That's just inconvenient. And I wouldn't gate check a carseat, anyhow.

ADS

vonfirmath

If it had been checked, it would've been on that flight to Indy. I suppose some folks gate check, but I don't see the point in lugging something through an airport just to gate check it. That's just inconvenient. And I wouldn't gate check a carseat, anyhow.

The one time I gate checked a car seat (and stroller) -- they were NOT waiting for us at the connecting airport. They got checked through to the end airport (and lost. Didn't get there until nearly 12 hours after we did) had to scramble to figure out a car seat. Got lucky.

Never did that again.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've never been in that exact situation, but I've had it where our ride didn't show up at the end, and we ended up in a taxi. So yeah, I always want a seat with me. Not a trusted seat in my husband's car (he was our ride). And just in case we end up not where we thought, I want our options open.

Glad it all worked out, except for your luggage!

Wendy

krasota

Contact your CC company and file a dispute if you have to. You paid for a service you did not receive.

Oh, I'll do that if I have to. I'm going to research and see if the e-voucher can be applied to the baggage fee for my return flight. If not, I'll push for a real refund.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC