Poll: RSTV, Monterey, or Big Kid?

Which seat?

• Evenflo Big Kid

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • RSTV

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Monterey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, or more than one of the above (explain!)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Stats: 5.5 year old girl, 48" tall, roughly 50-52 lbs. I babysit her almost every day. This is a long term situation; my guess is that I'll be babysitting her for at least the next year, maybe longer. She needs to ride in my Suburban (no problem) and squeeze into my Honda Civic next to my center-installed RF Radian. I have another Radian on the way, so she can use that for now, but she'll be too tall for it with the next growth spurt.

I have already determined that I can't squeeze a Turbobooster into the Honda. It fits, but I can't buckle it. I have been toying with getting an Evenflo booster that has a swivel arm rest in the hopes that I'll be able to buckle that. I also have a Harmony Youth Booster (LBB) which might work but I haven't tried it yet. It's my emergency seat but I'd rather have her in a HBB, if not a harness.

I also have a pink Monterey OTW which I assume won't fit in the Honda any better than the Turbobooster (possibly worse). It will work fine in the Suburban, I'm sure.

I could just sell the Monterey and buy the Big Kid booster, but I'm a little concerned that she'll outgrow the Evenflo seat by height before I'm ready for her to move to a LBB.

And now, I just saw RSTVs for $66. Plus $9 shipping, so $75. That's not bad. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.

I think I can sell the Monterey on CL for better than the $60 I paid for it. I bet I can get $80 out of it. I could use the $20 profit to help fund a RSTV. I could use the RSTV in all our vehicles, and I don't have to store a big booster when she's not with us. That is attractive. I'm concerned though that it might be hot, and might be more awkward to use than a booster. I'm also concerned about the lack of SIP, which a HBB (especially the Monterey) would provide.

What option would you choose if it were your kid?

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I can't vote on my phone. But I think the vest would work in every car situation so would be the beat choice if you only want 1 seat for her. If you could do a hbb for everything but the car that would work too.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Thank you. Have you ever used the vest? How much of a pain is it to use? I've never seen one in person which is why I'm nervous about it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Oh, great. The price has gone up to $110 today :mad:

That prices it way past what I wanted to spend.

ginny4

try the monterey...it might actually work. in a 3 across situation i needed, the monterey fit when the turbo didn't.

that's a bummer the RSTV went way up on price.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Good to know. If the Monterey will fit, that's what I'll use. I would feel better with having some SIP outboard in a Civic! I sometimes feel guilty even having my teens sit there to (in my imagination) be crushed between a Radian and an oncoming car. Yeah, I'm a little car-phobic sometimes.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Well, the Monterey does NOT squeeze into the Civic next to the Radian.
The Harmony Youth Booster barely squeezes in, but only if I shove the Radian over with all my might to buy me another half inch. Even then, I am not sure I'd be able to buckle it once the child was actually sitting in it.

But... I really like the Monterey. I can definitely use it in the Suburban. So I need to decide now whether to keep it or sell it. Hmm. I have two more Montereys on the way; one I want to sell on CL for profit, the other I'll either sell to a friend at cost or sell for a profit also if she decides she wants something else.

ginny4

sorry the monterey didn't work for the 3 across.

i'd keep an eye on the RSTV.....i hear elitecarseats is going out of business so they will want to sell them for sure.

Kat_Momof3

RSTV... you have to have something that can fit easily in your tiny honda... the RSTV will do that...

I'd keep the Monterey for the Suburban

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC