riding unrestrained for a short distance, slow speed, low traffic road?

christineka

This morning at camp they were transporting people (mostly kids) to the archery range in one pickup truck. You had the option of riding in the cap or in the bed. The distance travelled was probably 300 yards or less. We couldn't walk because one section of the road went under a swollen and swiftly moving creek. The road is out in the middle of nowhere. The only traffic is a bunch of county dump trucks (not sure what they do out there), and a few camper vehicles. I debated going along with it, but when 9 year old declared that it wasn't safe, I figured we better drive. It was good anyway because 4 yo had to go to the bathroom, so I had to drive him back to camp. Just wondering, would you let your kids ride unrestrained for this type of drive?

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Yes. My kids often ride unrestrained (and standing) in a similar fashion in the back of a truck/mini-truck while throwing hay to the horses.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Yeah, I probably would. At a camp, no other cars, going super slow. I used to ride in the back of the truck at the Church camp. No faster than 15 mph, no traffic. Never anywhere else but at camp, we did and I probably would (depending on the age). Your 4yo without you, no way! The older kids that are capable of holding on.

bnsnyde

My grade-schoolers would be fully harnessed in the middle seat.
LOL, well, just kidding. (but in a car, yes, they would be!)
We have done hayrides a few times at a farm. Actually got stuck and a tractor had to come get us so the animals didn't.

I used to ride in a truck bed as a kid. Only it was on, um, real streets. I won't tell my kids that. Grandpa should have known better!

Last edited:

christineka

Back of a truck, going 5-10 mph, on private property, and sitting? sure.

It was about 15-20 mph and partially on a public road, but very little traffic and a very short distance.

I've put my kids in the back of trucks or in trailers for parades before and haven't had a second thought.

Evolily

It was about 15-20 mph and partially on a public road, but very little traffic and a very short distance.

I've put my kids in the back of trucks or in trailers for parades before and haven't had a second thought.

I might be a little bit more iffy about that (I wouldn't judge anyone who did it, though)

I am fine with parades, as long as the kids get off the truck/float/whatever at the end of the parade.

skitle1802

Yes, but in my truck, we have seats and belts in the bed and its covered (awesome for driveins). My kids would be daredevils and jump out the back while moving if they weren't restrainted.

rxmommy

totally would have. sounds sort of like a hayride.

Although there was one instance where I was REALLY regretting squishing my family of 5 into a vehicle without restraints. We were visiting daddy at the ranch and climbed into the ranch pickup (flatbed pickup, no backseat, so we were all on the bench, baby in my lap) to go drive out to the pasture to see our new calves. No chance of walking in the muddy spring, but no traffic either. Well a muddy spring and tractors in a corral means big ruts, and DH hit one that he didn't realize was so big and we bounced and my HEAD hit the ceiling!!!! :eek::eek: I was furious with him. Sophie was a tiny baby. What if I had dropped her, or she'd hit the dash??

I'm sure we'll still ride around the ranch with him, but he'd better drive slower!! Although it will be significantly harder to squish all of us in the pickup and still leave DH room to shift soon.:p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC