3 Carseats in 2008 Highlander (& Scion XB)

vembirds

Here's the 3 Across thead:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33226

We have a Highlander 08, 3 kids and 3 Evenflow Triumph Car Seats. How many Radians do we need to fit 3 car seats in the 2nd row? Can we use 1 or more of our exsisting seats?

Right now 2 of the seats are in the 3rd row and an infant seat in the 2nd row. I need them all in the 2nd row for hauling space in the back.

Kids:
4, 39lbs FF (average height, normal/slim build)
2 1/2, 30lbs FF because of height in carseat (average height, slim build)
6 mo, 20lbs RF

I"m open to put any of the kids RF again especially if that helps with the combination.

And can you tell me what to use in a 2009 Scion XB with the same information above?

Thank you so much for your time!!! I appreciate you folks so much ;-).
Valarie

Last edited:
ADS

vembirds

Gonna gather some stuff from other threads to help me figure this out...

Hi! I love my Highlander ('05) and have done several 3 across in it. I had, at one point, a FF Marathon, RF Radian, and a FF Graco Nautilus. I am thinking that it should work for you to put a Radian into your combination (and, as a bonus, it installs VERY easily into the Highlander with seatbelt). The biggest trick to getting the seats all in is to install with seatbelt, not LATCH. Your outside seats will tilt just a bit because of the contours of the seat. I have not tried a snugride in the car, but a KeyFit does work.

The combination with a frontier, blvd, and snugride will most likely NOT fit. They are all wide seats (the snugride because of the handles and base). Adding a radian to the mix (instead of the blvd) will most likely fit. So, assuming that it will, you may want to try, Frontier, RF Radian, snugride. This would be going from driver's side to passenger side. I know for fact that if you have the radian RF in the middle and a Frontier on the driver's side they both fit. ;) You should then have plenty of room on the split side to get a snugride in with base. Ditch the blvd at this point. It is high up, it doesn't play well (ie puzzle) with the radian when they are facing different directions.

Hope that helps and that it makes sense. I'm sitting up with a baby who has decided that she is done sleeping for now. (and it is 4am my time.) :rolleyes:

scoutingbear

The 2008 Highlander does have the newer body type than my '05 and I have heard that the contours of the backseat are a little different. (I really want to find someone with a "newer" one so that I can play. Or maybe I just grab a friend and go play at the dealership with a car full of seats...) Anyway, there is a LOT you can do with a 3 across in the Highlander, and I believe yours gives an extra inch of space across the backseat as well. What seats are they currently riding in and I can start there. :) There is a 3 across thread where I have listed a bunch of different combinations (and I'm off to find it so I can add in my latest!)

vembirds

Karen,
Thanks for the reply. We have 3 Evenflow Triumphs. I love the adjustable shoulder straps. We are trying to substitute seats for 1 or two of these to get 3 in the 2nd row. We'll even go as far as replacing all 3 so I can lay the third row back down again. I'll go dig through the 3 across thread too.

Wish I was closer. You'd be welcome to use mine to play with :)

vembirds

Oh, I also forgot to ask. Will the infant pads from the Radian80 work in the Radian65? We thought about getting 1 80lb and 2 65lb since we don't know how big our kids will be as they grow.

scoutingbear

Try putting a Radian in to see if that helps. You might be able to keep 2 of your current seats and if you use the radian for your 2 1/2 year old, you can turn kid #2 RF again as well. I would try one in the middle and see. Also, check on the tech list to see if there are any techs near you from this board to help if you have trouble with the radian install. I have heard rumors that it is harder to install in the center in the newer Highlander but that wasn't from a tech. I know that if I have a narrow seat in the center, I can pretty much do whatever I want on the outsides (says me who has a Frontier 85 on one side and a Monterey booster with room to buckle on the other side of a rear facing radian).

vembirds

Oh, I also forgot to ask. Will the infant pads from the Radian80 work in the Radian65? We thought about getting 1 80lb and 2 65lb since we don't know how big our kids will be as they grow.

Anyone know about the above question?

Oh and what is the expiration on a Radian? Will it last 5, 7, 10 years? (searched and found the are rated to last 8 years)

Last edited:

vembirds

Well, we do have 1 of the radian 80's in the 2nd row behind the passenger seat. It is RF for our 6 month old of 22lbs! I like the way it fits him. But the seat itself is so long. There is very little space for my 2 1/2 yr olds legs in the 3rd row behind him (Evenflow Triumph is what he is in.). And at 5'5" my knees are touching the glovebox :rolleyes:

Ah, but my tip about tightening that Radian seat in the second row...
put the seat the car seat is going into in the farthest position to the back. In otherwards with the most leg room available. Then install the carseat. Now the seat can still be moved forward just a tad to the next setting but the seat belt doesn't move with the seat. This tightens your car seat in just a little more.

I thought it was cool!

After it cools a bit I'll be trying to install 3 in the 2nd row with the RF Radian in the middle to allow the passenger more leg room. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC