This is why we care so much about carseats

BrendansMommy

Ok, new scariest moment of my life. My second major wreck was on Monday evening.

I was on a 6 lane major road going 55 mph (speed limit) and t-boned a truck that blew through a stop sign and crossed the road. And she was going FAST. I barely saw her and didn't have a chance to brake at all.

It pretty much completely demolished the entire front of our car and our car apparently spun and completely caved in Peyton's door (rear passenger). The airbag deployed on initial impact, so with that in my face I had no control over the steering and couldn't even see that we spun until we came to a stop. I thought the airbag broke my nose at first. I have burn on my arms from it. My left shoulder and wrist are hurt, which I think is also from the airbag throwing it off the wheel--I drive with my other arm lower. The dashboard crashed in onto my legs. My shins and both knees are bruised and scraped up, but I nothing is broken. I have I huge (iPhone sized) bruise/welt/knot on my left shin. I got some minor burns on my face from the air bag. Perhaps the stragenst injury--I was wearing shorts and have upholstery burn on my upper thighs so it hurts to sit. I also have a headache and my neck is hurting. I saw the doc and nothing is broken, thankfully.

Brendan, in a Frontier 85, had some burns/scrapes on his neck and upper chest from his harness and the chest clip. Peyton, RF in a MyRide, has some bruises on his upper thighs from his harness.

Gosh it was so scary. I could hear the boys screaming, and I couldn't get my door open at first. But I got it and ran to B behind me and opened his door and saw he was in one piece and ran to P's side and saw that his entire door had caved in. I absolutely freaked. I ran back to B's side and scrambled over him to pull P out. About this time, an Army Ranger who saw everything came running up to check on me. He got the boys and me away from the car to a safe distance, because there was gasoline pouring out. Thank goodness he and his friend, another Ranger were there. They handled everything. They called the cops, got the ambulance, stayed with the boys, and me. They were like angels. One them even pulled a couple of patches of his uniform to give to the boys. One that said Ranger and one that said Special Forces.

My DH didn't even know about it. The wreck was on his route home from work. He saw it and the ambulance, then recognized the soccer sticker with Brendan's name on it, and pulled over.

I really thank God. Everything about his was nothing short of miraculous. For me to t-bone that truck at 55 mph--it's a miracle that we all walked away. P seems unfazed. B is very upset and working through it. I'm fine, but when I see the pics of Paint's door, I just absolutely lose it.

ADS

BrendansMommy

Re: This is why we care so mych about carseats

All that fluid is the gas
IMG_20110620_172909.jpg

DSC03615.jpg

DSC03614.jpg

DSC03622.jpg

P's door. I'm in tears just looking at this:
IMG_20110620_172944.jpg

Antoher of P's door:
DSC03621.jpg

The truck that didn't stop:
IMG_20110620_173523.jpg

Reactions: Kac

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
That is so scary. Thank goodness you had your precious boys properly restrainednand that there were no greater injuries. I hope you feel better soon though.

firemomof3

Oh wow :eek: I'm so happy to hear that you and the boys are not hurt! Thank you for sharing your story with us, and yes these stories are why we all care so much about carseats!

mlohry

Wow, the what ifs are crazy here. Thank God you are all ok and that you are a car seat crazy Mama!

twinsmom

WOW! I'm so glad you and your kids are okay. How scary! So the driver of the truck went through a stop sign through a 6 lane highway? Crazy! Was that driver injured? So glad your kids were properly restrained!

LuvBug

I'm so glad you guys are ok!!!! I want to cry at how sweet the rangers were and I'm so glad your DH was there quickly. ((hugs))

cookie123

You vehicle looks to be mine. I had nicknamed it the death trap. I now have much more respect for it. I'm so glad you guys are relatively unscathed.

bnsnyde

Good thing you have a big, heavy vehicle.
I wish our spare car were a tank. I'd feel safer.

Glad everyone is OK!

BrendansMommy

Thanks for all the well wishes. I really think it's miraculous how well we all came through it.

The other driver wasn't hurt. She is (I'm assuming) a college student and was just worried that her dad would be mad b/c he loaned her the truck for a week.

My car was a Mazda Tribute (same as a Ford Escape). That car has protected us time and again. We had a major wreck in (~$10K damage) in 2007, a fender bender in 2009, and then this. It almost makes me want to get another one. That car has really taken care of my family beautifully.

omg that is terrible, I am so glad you are all going to be ok... in this case the other driver is at fault even though you hit him, right? curious cause I witnessed a tbone accident a couple of months ago, and the guy who hit was definitely at fault but she was turning.. he went flying around everyone who was letting her go.. and bam.. but I figured they would fault ehr for turning.. just curious how it works.

jaded

So glad you all are okay. I am quite impressed with the way your vehicle performed in the crash, especially considering the speed that was involved.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC