How do you ship seats?

Farm_Mama

I sold my onBoard 35 Air on eBay. I put in the weight when I listed it so I assumed the calculator correctly charged the buyer. They paid $25 for shipping. However, I took it to UPS to send today and they wanted $55! :eek: Is there a cheaper way to send it? It weighs 20lbs and is in the original box.

ADS

zactayaus

Take it to the post office and ship it parcel post with delivery confirmation. I'm sure you'll be under the $25 mark as I was able to ship my FR from NJ to ND for less than that.:)

Farm_Mama

Thanks guys! I didn't even realize that you could send huge stuff USPS. I know my mail carrier would have a cow if he had to deliver a box that big. He gets bent out of shape when I get Priority boxes that won't fit in my mail box and he has to get his lazy butt out of his car and come to the house. :rolleyes: I'll take it to the PO tomorrow and hope for the best! :)

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Measure it and put in the dimensions as well as the weight when you're doing calculations (you can do it both on USPS and UPS's site - USPS is almost always cheaper though)... I do a lot of ebay selling at work and I have definitely learned the hard way - box size is as important as weight!!

monica-m

CPST Instructor
USPS tried to charge me $65 yesterday to ship a True Fit box (containing a CCO) Parcel Post to a city that is about 3 hours away. I went to the UPS store and was able to ship it for $30 less. The box was shipped to me from that city two weeks ago containing and True Fit for $17. In the future, I will probably only deal with FexEx or UPS when shipping seats.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Shipping carseats outside of your own region is insane. The prices have gone up considerably in the last couple years.

Also, I could always count on Fedex Ground being signifcantly less expensive than UPS or USPS. Now that is no longer the case and it's a good idea to check all three with the weight, dimensions and zip codes.

Plus, you can get discounts for opening a shippers account (free and no volume requirements in most cases). For example, I know UPS gives a small discount if you open an account through ebay/paypal.

Lemonade

USPS is OK as long as it's not over a certain size. A FR will ship for less than a MA or BLVD because the box is shorter. Radians aren't too bad with USPS. At some point they have a ridiculous oversize charge that kicks in. I think it's over 108" length plus girth.

Stelvis

I've recently shipped two Radians USPS and they were cheaper by a good bit than UPS. One was $30 (PA to WA) and one was $24 (PA to RI).

But, the online quotes for USPS were insane. When I actually went in, it was much much cheaper. Not sure why that was.

Farm_Mama

I ended up taking it to USPS and it was only $21 from MN to LA. MUCH better than $55 using UPS. Thanks so much, everyone! :)

genesis0304

I know it's too late now, but next time make sure you put the dimensions in the ebay calculator. The reason is because the box is very big for its weight so it still takes up more room than a 20lb box should and they have to charge you a higher billable weight according to the dimensions. It's like if you had a truck full of bubble wrap, they will still charge you almost as much as a truck full of lead because it takes up so much room.

PS. Fedex should be cheaper than UPS most of the time, but USPS Parcel Post is fine for things that aren't very valuable

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC